Easy seed germination

AusyBattler

420 Member
Hi all, hope everyone is well and doing well with your gardens. I have something I would like to share that I learn't in the seventies. Its a way to sprout your seeds with a hight success rate and so easy to do. I am an old guerrilla grower who has had life catch up with him :) we have to pay to play haha. So now I'm trying to learn indoor and its not the same for sure. Anyway the way I learn't in the seventies has worked well for me and don't see anybody using this! Place your seeds in a jar/bottle and some water. Put in a dark place, leave to soak and when all seeds are sitting in the bottom of the water watch for cracking. Once you have the seeds cracking, drain most of the water out, replace the lid and roll bottle/ jar until they stick to the sides, at the end the bottle/jar should be upside down with seeds stuck to the sides by a film of water. Keep in a dark place and check moisture to the roots, the water you have in bottle, about a teaspoon is enough. check now and then, coat all the seeds/roots in moisture leave on the side again and keep lid down, in the last photo I used a camp led I have in my washing machine, stainless steel drum and a good environment, you may be able to see the leaves becoming green, I can leave these in there for a while, pick out the strongest or wait till they are ready. I think by doing this I can eliminate the need for cups and transfer of plants. This way I hope to put straight in to DWC as roots are plenty long atm. But that part is untried for me so just guessing. Well the photo's didn't end up in order but I think you get the idea, please let me now what you think and ways to improve on this :) or not haha.

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_153730.jpg
    IMG_20181011_153730.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20181011_153745.jpg
    IMG_20181011_153745.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20181011_153831.jpg
    IMG_20181011_153831.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20181011_214930.jpg
    IMG_20181011_214930.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20181011_214938.jpg
    IMG_20181011_214938.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20181011_215032.jpg
    IMG_20181011_215032.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20181011_222543.jpg
    IMG_20181011_222543.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 68
If it helps then I am really happy man, because this forum has helped me get my head around growing in a DWC because soil was no good, I killed them with kindness haha, in the bush nature rules, when I'm involved too much, they suffer. Drowned them, but in fact I've learn't how to recover plants more than grow them, hard lesson but hey, life's like that

Thank you mate, but as an indoor grower I have a long way to go :) I hope it helps thats all, if you play with temps and water quality it may be better, it doesn't seem to change much with tap water or not, but I haven't really been that fussy. Most of you guys are the ones I need to learn from, but I like to experiment, in doing so I have caused much death and mass suicide haha. But I've never had a failure because I've always learn't something!

Thank you mate, but as an indoor grower I have a long way to go :) I hope it helps thats all, if you play with temps and water quality it may be better, it doesn't seem to change much with tap water or not, but I haven't really been that fussy. Most of you guys are the ones I need to learn from, but I like to experiment, in doing so I have caused much death and mass suicide haha. But I've never had a failure because I've always learn't something!
Here you there fella. No lessons without some failures. The germing seeds look so strong the way you did them too. Great start for them instead of drowning and rotting them. Great tip. As for learning inside growing , there are some great restrictive height methods to look through if height is limited and also great ways of bushing for space saving act... Enjoy your journey

Well received ausybattler. I have for d so much stuff among the members and forums. Been close to winning grow ligjts and all sorts. Love it here and the community are very supportive. A good few plant biologists and master growers on here too. InTheShed , iceman420 to name a couple. Seeing other people try new ideas and then to have experts on hand to explain the whys and why nots if the plants genetics and function , are invaluable. Anytime i can help , let me know mate . Good luck

Well received ausybattler. I have for d so much stuff among the members and forums. Been close to winning grow ligjts and all sorts. Love it here and the community are very supportive. A good few plant biologists and master growers on here too. InTheShed , iceman420 to name a couple. Seeing other people try new ideas and then to have experts on hand to explain the whys and why nots if the plants genetics and function , are invaluable. Anytime i can help , let me know mate . Good luck

When you talk of a supportive community, thats why I am here. I have browsed a lot of forums for info, and there is a lot out there but one thing stands out for me. Its how the community is with such as like myself, nubes :), I don't see a bash a nube here as on other sites, sometimes people forget we all start in the same place :) Thanks for the offer and I will ask for help which I need but my plants need it more haha, cheers mate

Anytime . Onward and upward as they say. Been wrestling my own grows recently and have had great support here. Being able to ask and get responses or see other grow journal's is brilliant. People use their signatures on bottom of their posts . Will take you too any of their journals you click on. Been invaluable to me. Enjoy your new found home friend.

It is amazing how many ways people germinate seeds. It is almost like all you need is a seed and some moister LMAO.

I have read them all commented on a few of them. I always felt that I did it the same way every time. Just the other day I realized I haven't always did things the same. Now days I do things the same because I have a certain paper towel that I like and have been using for some time now. I choose this because I like them for everything else. For years it never mattered. I bought what ever paper towel I grabbed.

What made me think of this is that the type of paper towel might very well have a lot to do with it. Different products are made from different materials. They are going to hold different amounts of moister and air. Does this matter I don't know. Most will be fine I am sure.

Thing is. If there are ones that work great then there are probably ones that don't work as well. Just because on average they all work does not mean you should not take it into consideration. Most times people never consider the quality of the paper towel they put their high dollar seeds in. Never before have I heard use this one brand and not that one. I think when I found the perfect paper towel for me I also found one that performs well for germinating.

Like I said not sure if it matters. I have found that the Viva paper towels I use have a more cloth style construction. Viva has other products but it is the cloth style I found that I like. This helps hold moisture for longer and still has areas that can suck in oxygen as they dry and still keep the seed moist.

An update of the same seedlings 3 days later, 24/7 light. I did add a small amount of superthrive 2 days ago and when I turn the bottle I open the lid and breath in there like you would if you wanted to fog up a mirror for some 02 and C02. Sry about pic quality

Attachments

• IMG_20181013_170626.jpg
    IMG_20181013_170626.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20181013_170732.jpg
    IMG_20181013_170732.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 48
There are so many folk around the forums and journal's. A good few people on here are amazing growers and know so much about various techniques and methods.
If I can help I will , if not I could point you in the right direction of members who I find helpful. What is the issue ? . I have coco and nft ( hydro) exp but am new to dwc method. . NEW THREADS could be somewhere to post the question with a related title to the thread. I.e " question on ph and dwc?" . Just as you did with this thread.

Back
Top Bottom