What is an idiot proof way to germinate seeds?

I used a paper towel and some bottle water. I folded the paper towel, soaked it, then stuck the seeds between in a dark humid place for a couple days. This worked on a few seeds, although, it could take a few days or longer with some seeds.

No! Do not put in a dark humid place.
1) Put in a warm place about room temprature (68-75 degrees).
2) Use a lamp w/ a globe i.e. clip light no brighter then 40 watts. Place the light 3) above or below the thing w/ the seeds. I usually put the seed above on a screen not too close because heat rises. The 'thing
w/ the seeds'
should be one paper towel ( I use scott paper towels) folded once, wet, put seed in between the folds the put in the sandwich bag ( leave the bag open for air).
Usually w/in 3-6 days you will see sprouts. Remember to keep them warm (not hot). Think of pop corn but much cooler to the pop. Wait until they sprout and w/out touching the tips of the sprouts put them, sprout down in a 3/4 inch hole of soil.
This is a quick but reliable method there are several but this works more often for me.
Relax. Reread this note. Take your time
Good Luck & re-read this note.

You guys are making seed germination entirely too hard lol. if you just toss a bunch of seeds in a container of water, any container works as I have used a bowl of water, a pill jar full of water or w/e you got that can hold a little water, it will germinate basically 100% of seeds in 2-4 days.

It really does not matter if its light or dark and the temperature will be fine as long as the range is reasonable. over 40 degrees under 100.

I have never seen a pot seed not germinate by just tossing it in water yet.

Please don't trap humidity with your seedlings! Clones are what needs humidity, because they don't have roots. A seedling has plenty of roots by the time you see it. The humidity accomplishes nothing but stunting root growth, stressing the plant

This is a good point, although I don't agree with all of your ideas I feel this is important. Humidity's affect on an emerged seedling will tax secondary metabolites and worse hinder chloroplast. All humidity will do is confuse the hormonal balance of early growth when there needs to be an even tempo within the first week, above and below in concert. I also believe that open air conditions to atmospheric levels which informs secondaries rather than taxes them.

I read elsewhere where you are supposed to take nail clippers and cut a very shallow V in the outside of the seed, then place between wet paper towels in the dark for 48-72 hours. I am brand new to doing this. Is there any merit to it? Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide.

I agree with the paper towel method in a ziplock, I also breath air in it and zip it puffed full of air. No idea if it helps or not. It has served me well. Oh yeah I also put it in my sock drawer, socks on bottom and top. Back in the day this was to hide mostly but there is warmth and it is dark...do not know if that helps. Usually 2-7 days seeds are popped!

Everybody's making way too much fuss using fancy methods with the seeds. Putting them in a glass of water, moving them to paper towels and moving them again to soil are unnecessary steps that can potentially have detrimental effects due to suffocation in water, drying out in the towels and harming the roots by handling. I've ruined seeds in all of these steps time and again, but since I went to dry-planting straight into damp soil I've had 100% germination with my seeds. There's no difference in the time it takes.

The less steps you do, the less chance you have of making a mistake. But that's just my own personal opinion. Food for thought.

Over-complicating something as simple as seed germination? Save the over-complicating for cloning .
Place seeds in wet paper towel. Place in baggie. Close baggie. Leave in a not cold area. The end.

Conversely, you can always 1) Get a pet civet. 2) When not feeding it whole coffee beans for it to digest, making you huge cash selling the post-digestive beans to yuppies you could 3) attempt to germinate your seeds post-civet colon. Then you'd 4) profit.
Otherwise, keep it simple.

I run a top fed dwc system so i just set up all my pumps place seed in a rapid rooter turn on my pumps and lights ( lights as high as i can get them just for heat in the tent) cover my rapid rooters with a small paper plate and im good. I also just run plain ph water for the first 2 weeks. I dont add nutes untill i do my first water change on week 2. Im on grow number 4 with this method and iv had 100% success.

I put 2 wimpy looking little Skunk#1 seeds in a little water in a cup with a saucer on top. I have a little warming pad for this purpose so I sat the cup on it. Both seeds now have little roots within 2 days and I just planted them. I think this method is way superior to the paper towel method. I always had trouble keeping the paper towel from drying out and this is not a problem the other way:)

This is only the second time I have done this
1st time I did rapid rooters and followed the directions on the bag all germinated but only one survived

The next time I followed the paper towel method. Both survived and are growing well.
The stems are thick and looking very healthy.

My advice paper towel method rocks

I like The “oh natural” method. Get a container that will be your final Container before harvest.(this will prevent shock in transplanting) Fill 3/4 full of Fox Farm Happy Frog Soil. Wet soil enough to soak through to the bottom, (6.2-6.7pH) let set 24hr. Place seed thumbnail depth in Center, lightly place soil Over(do Not pack). Cover with Saranwrap to keep in moisture and heat and place in heated Grow tent with LEDs on a 19/5 light schedule. 3-5 days. BOOM. Once popped through soil leave a day or 2 and remove saranwrap, should not need water for a few days. Your off to the races.thats My method, whatever works for you. I just like the Natural ways. Happy Growing my friends!

Attachments

• BA8144EA-126D-4115-B16C-4F9762CA19E3.jpeg
    BA8144EA-126D-4115-B16C-4F9762CA19E3.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 341
  • 63401DAC-B52B-4532-BF41-6E3455B0A665.jpeg
    63401DAC-B52B-4532-BF41-6E3455B0A665.jpeg
    904.6 KB · Views: 323
  • A7986993-50B2-446A-8F0F-E31C8B5E3E8D.jpeg
    A7986993-50B2-446A-8F0F-E31C8B5E3E8D.jpeg
    833.7 KB · Views: 322
  • FB414983-155B-4104-A182-CE4101DBB704.jpeg
    FB414983-155B-4104-A182-CE4101DBB704.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 16706767-5124-4002-9A0E-475E724E0905.jpeg
    16706767-5124-4002-9A0E-475E724E0905.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 310
  • D967209A-D38F-45B3-92BD-33E63313A410.jpeg
    D967209A-D38F-45B3-92BD-33E63313A410.jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 311
Four pages of some great ways to germinate seeds. For me, three or four paper towels, folded twice. I put the towels on a plate, soaked with R/O water. I tilt the plate until the water stops running off. Put the seeds between the towels and put the plate underneath my bathroom sink. I check them twice a day. Moisten the towels with a spray bottle, tilt to drain and put away. Two to three days, seeds will spout, normally 90%.
I do like zzoomm100's idea, I'll have to give that a try next time around.:)

AzLaker
:cool:

After reading this I'm gonna be planting right into the medium from now on. it just doesn't make sense to do it any other way.

Yeah that's right Remy if you don't want to handle the seed just drop it in rock wool in a tray on a seed heat mat then once the seed has sprouted take rock wool and put in your medium, easy.

Yeah that's right Remy if you don't want to handle the seed just drop it in rock wool in a tray on a seed heat mat then once the seed has sprouted take rock wool and put in your medium, easy.

I just tried in rapid rooters. 4/4 popped in 3 days with roots coming out the bottom already. easy to put into the coco medium.

Here exactly how I do it and it works all the time!

Paper towel fold it in 1/4's and soak it with distilled or r/o water. Enough that it drips wet when you lift it. Place in a zip loc baggy and leave open. Set in a dark place that sits about 70* F. tap roots within 24 to 48 hours. Here is a video

I used to sandwich technique. I wet soil half-inch thick in a sealable bowl I place my seeds on top of the wet soil. I cover the soil with a dry mix a quarter inch. I seal the bowl for 24 hours. I didn't open the bowl and let the lid rest on the top for small amount of air circulation. Over the next 10 days your seeds will start to pop. Keep an eye on us soil so that it does not dry out. I use water sensitive soil that will go from light brown the dark brown water. At this point is very important to give them a little water so I use a measuring spoon and I give him a half teaspoon at the base on the seedling as needed. If you're using soil that is water sensitive it will go from a light brown to a dark brown with water. So when it goes to light brown water.

Back
Top Bottom