Is there a faster way to germinate seeds?

your bang on mate. Seeds that aren’t buried properly still grow perfectly, even if they started just resting above the medium.

I actually just place the seed on top of the medium and sprinkle a tiny bit of soil on top so it doesn’t have anything to push threw. I don’t exactly ‘bury’ them. Just place & sprinkle lol

@Finnicki was thinking that when I was writing that tbh.. My cotyledons break the seed casing a few days to a week above soil but if I buried a 1/4” the ‘push threw’ process would help it release its shell.
I was burying too deep at one point so changed to placing them on top with a sprinkle of soil. There’s no real right or wrong when we think about how it all happens in the wild. We all pamper our seeds/seedlings in comparison to how Mother Nature does it 😂

I do know it’s recommended to bury a little, 1/4” sounds right.. I just chose not to risk it when I was still making too deep holes with my knuckle lol

Just germinated a seed with the tried an trusted wet paper towel and a zip lock baggie a sunny widow sill or if it cloudy i made an incubator. Took 24 hrs an Bing bang boom sprouted no problimo. Been doing it this way for about 10 years now an never had a seed not sprout. No pre-soak no scuffing needed. Good luck to all sprouting.

20221109_083433(0).jpg

20221110_061425.jpg

20221109_083409.jpg

20221110_061540.jpg

Tried that method. Only one of my last 10 seeds have sprouted. And that was an auto flower. (Crowd gasps). Tried soaking seeds for 10hrs then into soil. No sign of life. Two in cupboard now in pill bottles, in dark bags to save it from the Light. No tap root nyet. Reading to dump all my seeds in water then soil. I just want a couple to sprout. I’ll be overwhelmed in 5 sprouted. We bought a heating pad with controller. Readout said 72 but the water in my dark mug that I soak seeds in was 80 degrees. Too hot for soaking? Or resting a cup on that has soil & seed? Sold my blurple lights. Wished I had kept on. My Atreum 1000 had dial back to 10%, but it is the white light. Hope ya’ll enjoyed this post. This concludes your entertainment for today…

@Finnicki Are the seeds old? That’s definitely strange to have none pop.did you leave them in the soil for a week or two just incase they were slow to start?
I’m not sure about water tempterature.. I use room temp glass of water, soak beans for 12-24 hours then into soil and placed on the windowsill.. when the seedlings begin their veg period I put them outside into some rough conditions

Seeds I have had since summer. Use the same seed source as always. Only 20 miles from me. How old they are when they were shipped I don’t have a clue. Always encloses extras. The auto flower sprouted in August and I hung it up to dry this week. Going to try another pair of seeds today. Have some in soil that were soaked for 10 hours Another pair in very little water in cupboard in pill bottles. No root showing. Been a week for these four. No sun today no warm windowsills. Seeds are stored in frig. Should I allow seeds to warm to room temp before I plant them or put them in warm water??

Oops. Peeked at a seed tonight, between paper towels, in a zip lock bag, & I saw one Bubba Cookie seed cracked and trying to show a tap root. I had had these seeds on a electric pad the last two days. I just moved them into the kitchen to hang above a register. Folded a thin black foam piece around the bags to block the light. I have been at this point many times in the past. You have to check on the progress of a seed. You have to look. Did I just kill this one by exposing it to room light for 4 seconds?

Oops. Peeked at a seed tonight, between paper towels, in a zip lock bag, & I saw one Bubba Cookie seed cracked and trying to show a tap root. I had had these seeds on a electric pad the last two days. I just moved them into the kitchen to hang above a register. Folded a thin black foam piece around the bags to block the light. I have been at this point many times in the past. You have to check on the progress of a seed. You have to look. Did I just kill this one by exposing it to room light for 4 seconds?
No. I germinate my seeds on a dish, wrapped in paper towel, and I check two or three times a day. It's not in a very dark spot during this time.

Keeping the seeds in a ziplock may not be the way to go as they need circulating air.

i do paper towel method as well. older seeds may have difficulty with the method. they will in other media as well, but i've always thought it was a bit harder for older seeds in paper towel.

Theres a scientific paper saying that at least 24h in 1% H2O2 solution is great for germination success and speed (also for seed disinfection). They made a "seed germination protocol"
Quicker taproot appearance and quicker cotyledon.
Seeds with low viability or stored for 5 or more years are specially benefited from this method.

Access the full article here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7952943/pdf/BioProtoc-11-01-3875.pdf

Theres a scientific paper saying that at least 24h in 1% H2O2 solution is great for germination success and speed (also for seed disinfection). They made a "seed germination protocol"
Quicker taproot appearance and quicker cotyledon.
Seeds with low viability or stored for 5 or more years are specially benefited from this method.

Access the full article here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7952943/pdf/BioProtoc-11-01-3875.pdf
Screenshot_20230118-131634_Chrome.jpg

Just so everyone knows, you dont have to do the crazy laboratory procedure and materials list to get the benefit of the knowledge those nerds we love so much figured out for us lol.
This is just kitchen sink tap water with a squirt (drops) of H2O2...just add a few drops every morning to reintroduce new Oxygen radicals.
i use this method now more often
20230103_185853.jpg
20230105_080443_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Cuz i always have a humidity dome going. They're right there while im checking on clones.win win. I just wanted to confirm brunos post as legit shit...H2O2 helps seeds germ.

It can’t hurt to try! Haven’t had any luck getting the photos to sprout. Had our tap water tested by the city about 5 years ago. Old house, old pipes. Tap water tested fine. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Yea, and its pretty easy and cheap

Here in Brazil we get it from drugstores, at 3% rate.

Just dilute it 1 part 3% h2o2 with 2 parts Water.

Example: 20ml 3% h2o2 + 40ml water

= 60ml h2o2 1%

And its ready for some seed sinking.

I stopped sterilizing, sprouting in paper towels and anything else extra after reading Teaming With Bacteria.. Generations of bacteria reside inside and on the seeds. These bacteria are responsible for things like PM immunities, pathogen resilience, nutrient uptake and more. When you sterilize the outside of the seed you lose that microbiome, when you germinate in water or a paper towel the bacteria escape out of the seed and into the environment, lost forever.

Now I just roll the seeds in myco and toss them in the dirt. Plants can sense gravity and air, the seeds don’t need to be placed in any specific position, they’ll orient themselves.

AFF50FA0-5FEE-4AF6-9229-3D394059D003.jpeg

89FD8897-553A-4044-8BA2-0F6610B59549.jpeg

3AAFACAC-1FFA-468F-8F14-196B5AFF0B54.jpeg

2E846439-4F73-4CE9-93EF-28D3DC86FD0D.jpeg

I stopped sterilizing, sprouting in paper towels and anything else extra after reading Teaming With Bacteria.. Generations of bacteria reside inside and on the seeds. These bacteria are responsible for things like PM immunities, pathogen resilience, nutrient uptake and more. When you sterilize the outside of the seed you lose that microbiome, when you germinate in water or a paper towel the bacteria escape out of the seed and into the environment, lost forever.

Now I just roll the seeds in myco and toss them in the dirt. Plants can sense gravity and air, the seeds don’t need to be placed in any specific position, they’ll orient themselves.

AFF50FA0-5FEE-4AF6-9229-3D394059D003.jpeg

89FD8897-553A-4044-8BA2-0F6610B59549.jpeg

3AAFACAC-1FFA-468F-8F14-196B5AFF0B54.jpeg

2E846439-4F73-4CE9-93EF-28D3DC86FD0D.jpeg

What is the name of this book?

Back
Top Bottom