How do I germinate seeds in soil?

I have germinated seeds. The issue is that I dont have a grow light due to this being an outdoor grow. I was told to drop the seeds in the soil and lightly cover up, then place them on a window sill at my house after watering.Then when it sprouts to a seedling, gradually take it outside on and off until the leaves get tough. Would this work in place of a grow light? (Prior to sprouting)

hows the germination going?
Well, I actually broke in and made a small, makeshift grow room out of my computer desk. I have one that's popped

420-magazine-mobile1537950531.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1947269936.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I just put them in peat plugs after they are wet and within two days I have plants. Once they are a couple inches tall I take the plant (plug and all) and transplant them to a larger container but plant them deep. I do this to avoid the little plants getting big heads and falling over. Within a couple days they get real leaves and after they grow a bit I put them into 5 gallon buckets. For me...it works well. :)

Here is a method of germinating seeds that does not resort to paper towels or plastic bags, and the risk of rot these methods bring.

Place seeds in a bowl, and fill the bowl with room temperature tap water.
Cover the bowl with card or newspaper and place in a cupboard overnight (12 - 15 hours).

Saturate the soil in your prepared pots with water, then create a small circular depression in the center of the pot. Place each seed in its own pot, in the center of the depression, pointed tip down. Cover the soil over the seed, so that is no more than 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep. Repeat with all seeds.

Leave sown seeds for six hours in darkness, then switch on your lights and leave them on.

The latest time I used this method, I got 100% germination, and seedlings began erupting from the soil within 2 days. All viable seeds should germinate.

Author: Captain Beefheart

you say leave in the dark for 6 hours after putting them to soil than leave the light on. how long are you leaving that light on and what is the light cycles

Here is a method of germinating seeds that does not resort to paper towels or plastic bags, and the risk of rot these methods bring.

Place seeds in a bowl, and fill the bowl with room temperature tap water.
Cover the bowl with card or newspaper and place in a cupboard overnight (12 - 15 hours).

Saturate the soil in your prepared pots with water, then create a small circular depression in the center of the pot. Place each seed in its own pot, in the center of the depression, pointed tip down. Cover the soil over the seed, so that is no more than 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep. Repeat with all seeds.

Leave sown seeds for six hours in darkness, then switch on your lights and leave them on.

The latest time I used this method, I got 100% germination, and seedlings began erupting from the soil within 2 days. All viable seeds should germinate.

Author: Captain Beefheart

Perfecto! This is the only method I use. Works for me. Although I have few seeds that will sink, about 98 percent of them pop and they're on their way..

Currently in experimentation with growing seeds beginning with 12/12. Will see how this goes; I read somewhere that it is possible for a faster harvest - no, I'm just a small personal 'maverick' grower who is not into monster harvests, etc. Hell, I'd never use up all that I would grow that way! LOL!

Gee people u think there is a light cycle for a seed that's underground and isn't out of the ground yet? Wow I've heard it all now lol

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using 420

LOL! Yes, I don't abide by all the set 'rules'. I'm a maverick. I like to experiment and see what happens! Although I've been growing for 5 years, I wanted to try something a little different and see how it goes...

Also experimenting with genetics as well. I just crossed my first 2 strains last week. So far - so good! Mama is preggo and definitely happy.. I did a Master Kush x Super Skunk.. so this is going to be interesting when I plant her seeds!

I read that some seeds can take up to 21 days to pop. I was like, hmmmmmmmm.? This is kinda odd. Most of my beans pop within 5 days. The ones that don't, I give them another 5 days and then write them off. So far, I have a 98 percent germination rate.. just my 2 cents worth to toss in the pot here! I don't remember if it was 'Growing Elite Marijuana' e-book or Bergman's 420 site..

Currently in experimentation with growing seeds beginning with 12/12. Will see how this goes; I read somewhere that it is possible for a faster harvest

Amy

I have used 12/12 on several occasions and it works fine.
It does however make the plant form more of a huge center cola with smaller side branches.
You just have to watch for some bud rot on those big fat colas.
Some of my biggest yields have been 12/12 plants.
I've even started a grow 11/13 from seed for my Colombian Gold sativa with no problem, it helps keep long flowering plants in check so they don't grow into the lights.

PAPAYA
10 weeks from seed
Papaya_10_wks_R.jpg

13 weeks from seed, the main cola was about 2.5oz by itself
Papaya_13_Wks_R.jpg

bud rot
budrot2.jpg

If you are trying to germinate seeds there are 3 main propagation techniques that consist of soil based germination cloth based and a germination kit of you are trying to save money go the cloth route. To do this is very simple just get 2 paper towels make them damp not soaking wet and place the seed or seeds In the paper towel and fold
It over and place it inside of 2 plates and place in a dark cool place and check on it every few hours DO NOT LET THE PAPER TOWEL DRY OUT

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Amy

I have used 12/12 on several occasions and it works fine.
It does however make the plant form more of a huge center cola with smaller side branches.
You just have to watch for some bud rot on those big fat colas.
Some of my biggest yields have been 12/12 plants.
I've even started a grow 11/13 from seed for my Colombian Gold sativa with no problem, it helps keep long flowering plants in check so they don't grow into the lights.

PAPAYA
10 weeks from seed
Papaya_10_wks_R.jpg

13 weeks from seed, the main cola was about 2.5oz by itself
Papaya_13_Wks_R.jpg

bud rot
budrot2.jpg
Man that shit is tight!

Sent from my LG-H740 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom