Urgent pH issues

Hasnain

Hey guys,

Below is a post from my grow journal,
Please gimme some advice!!

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED :-

Something weird is happening...

Just to remind old and new subscribers, I'm using a cocopeat soil which "had" added organic slow-release ferts in it, but I watered the soil down till all the slow release ferts were exhausted.. so in a way I converted the soil to just cocopeat. I did this because I wanted to have better control over what I was feeding, hence I flushed out all the ferts from the soil and started feeding it chemical nutes.

Now that you know that information, please read on:-

So I watered my plant yesterday with ph'd water @ 5.8 ph. The ph of the runoff in the previous watering was 6.2, so I made sure I watered it with about the similar ph, in fact a bit lesser ph...just to make sure the ph stays between the 5.8-6.0 range...

The runoff I got after watering yesterday was 6.8... how is that possible?

Furthermore, I watered the plant today with about 5.2 ph'ed water to try and lower ph, and today I got a runoff reading of 7.2!!!!!

WTF is happening??? I keep trying to bring the ph down but it's increasing.... has the earth started spinning a different way?? lol......

Starting to get a bit confused and frustrated .

Please help guys.

Here's a link to my journal by the way:
South Indian Sativa LED SOG Experiment

Cheers.

Hey guys,

Below is a post from my grow journal,
Please gimme some advice!!

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED :-

Something weird is happening...

Just to remind old and new subscribers, I’m using a cocopeat soil which “had” added organic slow-release ferts in it, but I watered the soil down till all the slow release ferts were exhausted.. so in a way I converted the soil to just cocopeat. I did this because I wanted to have better control over what I was feeding, hence I flushed out all the ferts from the soil and started feeding it chemical nutes.

Now that you know that information, please read on:-

So I watered my plant yesterday with ph’d water @ 5.8 ph. The ph of the runoff in the previous watering was 6.2, so I made sure I watered it with about the similar ph, in fact a bit lesser ph...just to make sure the ph stays between the 5.8-6.0 range...

The runoff I got after watering yesterday was 6.8... how is that possible?

Furthermore, I watered the plant today with about 5.2 ph’ed water to try and lower ph, and today I got a runoff reading of 7.2!!!!!

WTF is happening??? I keep trying to bring the ph down but it’s increasing.... has the earth started spinning a different way?? lol......

Starting to get a bit confused and frustrated .

Please help guys.

Here’s a link to my journal by the way:

Cheers.

Assuming your measurements are correct, there would have to be something in your medium that is neutralizing acid. My best guess would be that there are carbonates in there that are doing that, probably left over from the slow-release fertilizer that was in there. (I'll guess that they added powdered dolomite lime or something to "sweeten" the soil mix and add calcium and magnesium.)

My advice, for what it's worth, would be not to freak out if your numbers are not exactly what they "should" be. Just make sure that you're doing everything right--lots of light, good air circulation, correct humidity, correct feeding at the right time with the right proportions--and don't sweat the small stuff too much.

Also, since you seem to be of a somewhat exacting, scientific bent (like me, brother ;)) I'd suggest reading up on chemistry and then soil science. Maybe even take a chem class with lab? At least carefully study what pH is and what it means and how it's affected and how it's measured. The details can be subtle and kind of complex, but they are interesting and useful to know!

Assuming your measurements are correct, there would have to be something in your mediu....!

Thanks buddy

I was suspecting a similar thing, there must be some sort of an agent in the soil which keeps doing this. Maybe if I keep watering, these agents might just wear off.. just like how the slow release ferts did.

Anyways, I think I'll jus make sure I water with my desired ph at all times and let everything else do the rest.

Thanks again!

Is your plant healthy or is it showing lockups or deficiencies?

It's doing pretty ok. It's a bagseed of the local stuff I get in my city. It's an outdoor strain, which I'm growing indoors.

You can go thru my grow journal if u wish, the link is at the bottom of my previous post. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom