UV lighting thread

I use a couple fluorescent bulb from a company called "Eye Hortilux", it's a line they carry called 'PowerVeg', the one I use is FS+UV, I think 10% of it's output is FS(Full Spectrum) and the other 90% is UV A+B...I ran them on the exact same timer as my actual lights, so 12 hours/day in flower and never had any problems :thumb:

High folks.
Saw this thread following Advocate.

Here is my contribution.
Feel free to make your own assumptions.
:passitleft:
UV-B
I was 1st fascinated by UV-B when I watched a video on the Tube posted earlier in this thread.

I figured I would buy two reptile style bulbs to use during last two weeks of bloom.
The results were that I basically fried the leaves a little at a time.

If you got time to kill Stage tries uv-b bulbs

Next I tried the Eye Hortilux powerveg bulbs.
I have two 6 bulb T5 fixtures.

Each fixture has two of the FS+UV-B bulbs.
I use them from cloning to early veg.
IMG_20180118_135532.jpg

Lastly I use the Philips CMH/LEC 3100k bulb for veg / pre bloom.
This bulb has a healthy amount of UV-B and is a fantastic veg spectrum along with a good dose of UV-B.
veg_tent_view_week_8_before.jpg

I sometimes bloom with the Philips CMH/LEC and or with LED cobs.
The results are to my liking with out frying the leafs.

I suggest staying away from purpose built UV-B bulbs like what you have.
If you want to add UV-B get the LEC or Powerveg FS+UV.

Ultimately the goal is increased resin.
Be mindful that there are other ways to accomplish that without leaf damage.
PG_bud_closeup_3_week_8_bloom.jpg
PG_cola_shot_week_8_bloom.jpg
blue_magoo_bx2_cola_week_8_bloom.jpg

Stage out! :surf:

High folks.
Saw this thread following Advocate.

Here is my contribution.
Feel free to make your own assumptions.
:passitleft:
UV-B
I was 1st fascinated by UV-B when I watched a video on the Tube posted earlier in this thread.

I figured I would buy two reptile style bulbs to use during last two weeks of bloom.
The results were that I basically fried the leaves a little at a time.

If you got time to kill Stage tries uv-b bulbs

Next I tried the Eye Hortilux powerveg bulbs.
I have two 6 bulb T5 fixtures.

Each fixture has two of the FS+UV-B bulbs.
I use them from cloning to early veg.
IMG_20180118_135532.jpg

Lastly I use the Philips CMH/LEC 3100k bulb for veg / pre bloom.
This bulb has a healthy amount of UV-B and is a fantastic veg spectrum along with a good dose of UV-B.
veg_tent_view_week_8_before.jpg

I sometimes bloom with the Philips CMH/LEC and or with LED cobs.
The results are to my liking with out frying the leafs.

I suggest staying away from purpose built UV-B bulbs like what you have.
If you want to add UV-B get the LEC or Powerveg FS+UV.

Ultimately the goal is increased resin.
Be mindful that there are other ways to accomplish that without leaf damage.
PG_bud_closeup_3_week_8_bloom.jpg
PG_cola_shot_week_8_bloom.jpg
blue_magoo_bx2_cola_week_8_bloom.jpg

Stage out! :surf:
Good stuff. Think I’ll order some FS+UV as suggested and get them mounted.

My current grow room has a nuclear-fusion-powered light source that comes on at dawn and gets progressively more intense until 1 PM PDT, then gradually lessens until 8:40 PM PDT.

I wish you still visited the forum, because I'm curious to know whether or not you were describing... Sol (the sun), lol. I can't think of any other light source (available to us here on Terra) that's directly powered by fusion. Or indirectly, for that matter - last I heard, we hadn't advanced to the point where we could produce a controlled, self-sustained fusion process, or one that produced more energy than we had to put into it.

BtW, just wanted to add my "me, too!!!" to the strong recommendations to wear protection when working around UV & deep-blue lighting, or better yet, just shut the things off first. Skin on my arms looks great for an 85-year old. Unfortunately, I'm not even 50 yet. All I've used are the little ReptiSun 10.0 bulbs. And I ran the blurple (see avatar image) for a bit last year to make sure it was functioning properly, since it turned out that it'd be this year before I could use it in a dedicated grow. Was stupidly thinking, "I'll just grow auto-flowering strains this time, that way I won't have to worry about light leaking into the grow space." Now... Now, I'm worried about light leaking out of it :rolleyes: .

Vision has tanked in the past year or so, too. That one is harder for me to quantify, because it's been lousy since at least 1976... Was told at one time that the vision in one eye was 20:120, 20:150, something like that (and the other one was a little bit better) - but I could still do things like READ A BOOK, pick up random items at the grocery store and be able to read at least the larger text on the packages, recognize people at distances somewhat greater than I could reach with my hands, determine how long I needed to run the microwave oven in order to turn a frozen item into something that was at least warm by reading the cooking instructions instead of a combination of guesswork and experimentation, et cetera.

Now... not so much. It's enough to turn a guy off growing cannabis altogether. Come to think of it, the only plants I've grown so far this year were ones I started for (and then gave to) other people.

This stuff used to be fun. <SIGH>

Thank God for eBooks and the ability to increase font sizes both with those and in my web browser. Otherwise... IDK. The phrase "critically endangered" springs to mind. . . .

He was referring to the sun lol

I now run with 2 x 2’ & 2 x 4’ of the Power Veg FS+UV in my flower tent. I run them on the same timer as my light source so they’re on 12/12.

So far I’ve had zero burning, so will continue to run them.

As for them making a difference....well, that’s just up to the mind of the individual. I know my ladies are frosty(not suggesting that’s the UV lol) and I’m more than pleased, so I have no intention of ditching the bulbs

He was referring to the sun lol

I now run with 2 x 2’ & 2 x 4’ of the Power Veg FS+UV in my flower tent. I run them on the same timer as my light source so they’re on 12/12.

So far I’ve had zero burning, so will continue to run them.

As for them making a difference....well, that’s just up to the mind of the individual. I know my ladies are frosty(not suggesting that’s the UV lol) and I’m more than pleased, so I have no intention of ditching the bulbs
Awesome to hear ! If it makes you feel better then I say it’s working lol.

I use 2,50 watt uva,avb bulbs during late flowering to bring out resin 10 min. on every hour I’m doing six autos in this run with lights on 24/7 these bulbs I run along with my regular lighting.
From what I’ve gathered if u can remove the glass from a hps unit and get those rays as well.
I’m just trying to give them a ( sun burn) so to speak bringing out the resins to protect itself
Just like sunscreen for us.

I use 2,50 watt uva,avb bulbs during late flowering to bring out resin 10 min. on every hour I’m doing six autos in this run with lights on 24/7 these bulbs I run along with my regular lighting.
From what I’ve gathered if u can remove the glass from a hps unit and get those rays as well.
I’m just trying to give them a ( sun burn) so to speak bringing out the resins to protect itself
Just like sunscreen for us.

uva isnt the one you want, its uvb.
i have uva on the entire light cycle from start of veg to end of flower.

i also add uvb( the one you want) for 30 mins a day, working up to 1 hour from start of flower to harvest

CDE7AA20-CFF7-4A80-AD81-C71EDB0A87A7.png

uva is only doing a fraction (10x LESS EFFICIENT) of what uvb does, if you are only giving your plant uva for a small time per day, the effect is next to nothing

I use 2 x 4’ and 2 x 2’ bulbs in my flower tent, I keep them on the full 12 hours a day, on the same timer as my flowering lights. I’ve never encountered a problem with burning using the PowerVeg bulbs.

In my veg tent I use a CMH, so my plants are exposed to UV A/B 100% of the time from seedling to culling time :Namaste:

I use 2 x 4’ and 2 x 2’ bulbs in my flower tent, I keep them on the full 12 hours a day, on the same timer as my flowering lights. I’ve never encountered a problem with burning using the PowerVeg bulbs.

In my veg tent I use a CMH, so my plants are exposed to UV A/B 100% of the time from seedling to culling time :Namaste:
yep i upgraded and added a kind led micro flower bar (uva, ir, orange, far red, blue) for my uva light, i leave it on the entire 12/12 cycle.
i also now have a power veg fs+uva t5 with an agromax uvb t5 in a different fixture.
the t5s i use for 30 mins a day to get the extra uvb kick i need in the tent

I have been looking over Dr. Bugbee's work one the research in photosynthic light response. He has some interesting videos and scholarly articles on the subject free sourced. Though I have not seen anything concernings numbers yet in a video pressentation from last month he detailed some of his work on far red. He was showing 25% gains in plant dry weight with 1/7 of the photons in the far red range. This was not impacted by the presence of white light vs purple.

I have been looking over Dr. Bugbee's work one the research in photosynthic light response. He has some interesting videos and scholarly articles on the subject free sourced. Though I have not seen anything concernings numbers yet in a video pressentation from last month he detailed some of his work on far red. He was showing 25% gains in plant dry weight with 1/7 of the photons in the far red range. This was not impacted by the presence of white light vs purple.

pretty sure the kindled micro flowering bar has far red

Great discussion you guys have going - enjoying it thoroughly!

I run a 1000w Eye Hortilux Super HPS in one of my tents with excellent results. I've been trying replicate the performances in another tent where I am running LED's (8 x 100w Chilled Logic Growmau5 pucks). I am trying to fill in the missing spectrum that the LED's don't cover. I've just ordered a few of these booster boards Dual Emerson/Exotic Booster Board Set. The Emerson board is a far red board, and the Exotic is IR and UVA. Might be a good option....also this website is really good. They are doing grow lights in conjunction with Chilled Logic and Growmau5. If you want to learn about LEDs go check out Growmau5 on youtube. He's a guru.

CMH, is, one of the reasons it works,sooo well. Uva uvb and a decent spectrum.
I stand by it.
This is under 315w....nothing...

lowryder is that a dried nug or fresh?

i have some wedding cake seeds from seedsman on the way. hoping the genetics will give me a better trich coat such as your picture

Okay. I am having trouble finding input and answers.

How should UV lighting be used in conjunction with HID lighting?

Should it be used during veg, flower or just late flower ?

Should is be used in short durations to prevent plant cell damage or can is be used the full 12/12

This is pure UV lighting, much more powerful then any black light. I know it can help produce more resin. How are you using it ?

There is limited information on this site and on the web in regards to using UV lighting. Please help me create an informative thread. Look forward to learning more about this. Thank you.
Pic for attention.
IMG_040257.JPG
IMG_040449.JPG
IMG_040356.JPG

You shouldn't need any UV supplement with a HPS lamp - HPS already emits UV. I'm not sure about MH, but you don't really need UV in veg anyway...

Some LED's need added UV, while others have the diodes built in already. I added the exotic booster boards from rapid led to my LED setup to cover the UV and IR spectrum not emitted by the LED diodes.

UV is supposed to increased trich development...I've never used these before, i've always been a 1000w HPS guy (well still am)....I'm going to turn on the UV & IR boards at the start of week 3 and see what happens

You shouldn't need any UV supplement with a HPS lamp - HPS already emits UV. I'm not sure about MH, but you don't really need UV in veg anyway...

Some LED's need added UV, while others have the diodes built in already. I added the exotic booster boards from rapid led to my LED setup to cover the UV and IR spectrum not emitted by the LED diodes.

UV is supposed to increased trich development...I've never used these before, i've always been a 1000w HPS guy (well still am)....I'm going to turn on the UV & IR boards at the start of week 3 and see what happens

if your hps/mh or cmh is in a tube it is going to filter the majority of the UV-a light it is emitting

83EAB796-528D-4C08-A49C-CE9867D23AEA.png

you want uvb, the results from uva are negligible.

if you run uvb, you only want to run the light for 30-60 minutes a day during mid-late flower

you can leave uva on for the most part if its built into your light or a full spectrum +uva t5 type bulb

uva doesnt do anything for trichomes, thats UVB.
lets keep good info on this site and not myth

good internet search dinkle! your app says UVa won't increase trich production, but rounding out a spectrum and adding more PAR will, which is what I'm doing. Nothing I posted is a myth Why You Should Include UV-A In LED Grow Lights

p.s. if you're going to tell someone to use UVb, let them know the health risks as well....

Back
Top Bottom