Vegas help: MMJ on aircraft

Re: vegas help

thanks moose...
i just want to confirm this prior to anyone trying it and blaming us for the mishap...
if we get confirmation, awesome, if we get declined, edit dan's posts please.
thanks.

No probs. I might as well ping a few other airlines as well to see if there is a uniform protocol on this. The other issue of course is that airlines may allow it intra state, where state law permits mmj, but not inter-state to other states that do not have mmj. You could be breaking the law without knowing it as you fly through other state's airspace.
My understanding though remains. That airports are under Federal Law, and that current law is zero tolerance.
And what about taking legal mmj overseas? This opens up a real can of worms.

I sent an email to Delta Airlines, specifically asking whether airline policy permitted the carrying of legally prescribed medical marijuana.
This is the reponse I just got from Delta.

Dear Mr. Smokin.Moose,
Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

We recommend that you carry your medication with you onboard the flight
in your carry-on luggage. Our airplanes do not have refrigerators
onboard, so please plan accordingly.

If you use hypodermic syringes to inject medication, it is helpful to
provide either a doctor's letter or a prescription for your medicine
with a professionally printed label that identifies the medical office,
pharmacy, or manufacturer of the medication. This is in case security
officers have questions or to satisfy foreign authorities when traveling
outside the United States.

The Transportation Security Administration has revised the list of
acceptable items that will be checked at security checkpoints.

For the latest information on what is and is not acceptable for both
carry-on and checked baggage please go to the Transportation Security
Administration website at

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Specifically, the Travel Tips section.

We appreciate your interest in Delta Air Lines.

Sincerely,

Rose Ivans
Online Customer Support Desk
Airline Tickets & Flights: Book Direct with Delta Air Lines - Official Site

I just then sent another email to the Transport Safety Agency asking the same specific question about mmj. Delta was pussyfooting around the specific of mmj, but by default in their answer, they will allow mmj onboard Delta flights.
I will wait and see what the TSA says, then I will also email the Attorney General and ask what the Federal policy is. This may be a two edged sword, because the airline may carry you legally, but you can still be busted on the flight by cops or Feds, with Delta clearly not being held responsible for the police action.
Assuming there are no police interventions, it seems quite ok to carry your mmj on an airline such as Delta, but Federal Law covering the marijuana would still apply, and that Federal law at the moment is that it is illegal.
So what IS the answer here. You can, but you daren't. It's not the airline you have to hide your weed from, it's the police.

I do not like that they told you to carry on board. Who ever must not understood the degree of seriousness on carrying MMJ. I have been specificly told not to carry on. Specificly. This is a bit strange.....sounds like when prop 215 first came out and the cops had no idea about MMJ. Im sure that federally their going to talk shit or something.....I know that this is only legal if your going to another legal state. I have checked it in, never ever carryed it on....thats where they have on board cops right? I was told specificly by Southwest to put in my check in luggage with my prescription on top and only to other states that allow MMJ. I would think their thinking of all other medications that are given via syringe thats why they say to carry on or whatever. I highly doubt that taking a big amount would be tolerable as well. I always took about a half zone with me, thats what I usually need for a week if I conserve :) and kept the rec on top. Please for anyone who is readin this, make sure you consult with your airline before you attempt anything at all. I have each time and also made them aware of the MMJ when I am in the airport as soon as I check my luggage in. I refuse to live without my green!

very interesting, great thread guys, let's keep it going...
maybe we can design a standard form that our members can print out, outlining these guidelines, to take on board flights with them and their meds...;)

I think if you were going to take the risk, you should also bring a print out of the email giving the OK on carrying mmj from the airlines.

Im the one in LA, damn Im going to try to do something about this and try to find a way so that I can proove this not that I do not think anyone does not believe me but I just wish It was a little bit easier to post up! LoL, Im actually thinking about going down but I can hardly walk as is.....but still....If im going to travel with MMJ again to Vegas than I want to have written proof even though before I went through the check in process with no problems at all......I still need written proof...I should have thought of that a long time ago because after reading the above threads Im scared again to go now even though I have heard the OK. That means nothing.....writting says everything. My eyes are open....LoL....

Back
Top Bottom