Vegetating with 16/8 cycle

EL ZIPPO

Is it possible to Vegetate with a 16/8 light cycle , without losing any of growth benefits of the normal 18/6, or 24hr Veg light cycles.
A concern being that maybe 16hrs on , might be too close to the Budding 12/12 light cycle

Thanks Dutty Panty, I heard that some don't like it either. The guys are trying it with BC Big Bud and after several years @ 18/6 and now 3wks in @ 16/8 they are going well beyond their expectations / That's why they're kinda curious if 16hrs might somehow be triggering the early stages of budding (where they shoot up rapidly before bud formation)
Thanks again for any input.

I've used 16/8 light cycle for veg for the last couple of years with out ill effect with several strains.

How ever flowering may happen under 15 or 14 hours of light with some strains... only seen one out door grower report this tho !

But when i think about it the Gas Lantern Routine - GLR runs on 15 hours of light :thumb:

I'll add a recent link from the lighting section - 12-1 Lighting Method - have read of that.

What is the reasoning behind wanting to use a 16/8 cycle?

One of the reasons behind the 16/8 light cycle is electricity cost$ are extremely high in Canada and with using 1000w + inline fan/filter, and tabletop fans.
The other reason behind this experiment is that some strains do well under longer "on" times and others with shorter "on" times. They have always used 18/6 cycle for this particular strain "BC Big Bud" , it did O.K under these conditions but so far (3weeks into Veg @16/8) they have really taken off (almost doubled in overall growth)
Their plan is to do their Bud-Cycle @ 11 or 10hrs

Just letting you know that everyone that had participated in this thread earlier has not been around in several months or 6 plus years. But there are many current members who grow outside or do like you are doing when it comes to planning and starting plants inside and taking them out in the late spring for the rest of the season.

I'm trying to get em use to outdoor environment
Or as close to it as I can.started in tent on 18/6 now want to acclimate so don't go into flower when I put them out on4/20
I don't see any mention of where you live so it is hard to judge if April 20th will still be too early because of rather limited amounts of good sunlight. I keep thinking that the average date to take plants outside is more like mid May for the US and Canada for growers that are trying to avoid their plants attempting to start flowering or avoiding spring cold spells.

As an example, on April 20th here in the Detroit, Michigan area the sunrise will be 6:40 am and sunset at 8:20 so about 13 hrs and 40 minutes of some sort of daylight. The important thing to keep in mind that the first and last hour of daylight at sunrise and sunset is very weak. So weak that it does not even count for a level of usable light.

The amounts of usable sunlight at that time of the season is close to what many growers would experience in mid August when most notice that their outdoor plants are starting to flower.

I am not saying that it will not work. But, we often see growers asking why their outdoor plants are starting to flower or why the plants are not growing as fast as they thought. Then there is the temperatures to consider. Some of the more northern areas might still get a frost or temps in the 30s F which will slow down plant growth.

This short article will give an idea of how strong or weak the sunlight is for the first and last hour of the day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight

I'm trying to get em use to outdoor environment
Or as close to it as I can.started in tent on 18/6 now want to acclimate so don't go into flower when I put them out on4/20
Welcome to 420Magazine @SKUNCLE JBIRD :welcome:
If you want to say Hi and meet everyone here is a link

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Is it possible to Vegetate with a 16/8 light cycle , without losing any of growth benefits of the normal 18/6, or 24hr Veg light cycles.
A concern being that maybe 16hrs on , might be too close to the Budding 12/12 light cycle
He buddy :ciao:
It's the darkness that causes flowering.
It also slows growth in veg.
More light more growth.
But when you go outside if she gets 10-11 hrs darkness she will flower and screw up your grow so be mindful of that.
Som extra hrs of light might be needed.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Just letting you know that everyone that had participated in this thread earlier has not been around in several months or 6 plus years. But there are many current members who grow outside or do like you are doing when it comes to planning and starting plants inside and taking them out in the late spring for the rest of the season.

I don't see any mention of where you live so it is hard to judge if April 20th will still be too early because of rather limited amounts of good sunlight. I keep thinking that the average date to take plants outside is more like mid May for the US and Canada for growers that are trying to avoid their plants attempting to start flowering or avoiding spring cold spells.

As an example, on April 20th here in the Detroit, Michigan area the sunrise will be 6:40 am and sunset at 8:20 so about 13 hrs and 40 minutes of some sort of daylight. The important thing to keep in mind that the first and last hour of daylight at sunrise and sunset is very weak. So weak that it does not even count for a level of usable light.

The amounts of usable sunlight at that time of the season is close to what many growers would experience in mid August when most notice that their outdoor plants are starting to flower.

I am not saying that it will not work. But, we often see growers asking why their outdoor plants are starting to flower or why the plants are not growing as fast as they thought. Then there is the temperatures to consider. Some of the more northern areas might still get a frost or temps in the 30s F which will slow down plant growth.

This short article will give an idea of how strong or weak the sunlight is for the first and last hour of the day.
Ok nxt question then how long can I veg in a 1 gallon pot then if I stay on top of watering n feeding.i like to transplant little as possible.was gonna put out so didn't get root bound.but if I can veg longer in my tent in 1 gallon I'll hold off till mid may.ty sir

Ok nxt question how long can I veg in 1 gallon pot of I stay on top watering n feeding.i like to transplant little as possible.i was going to put out because didn't want them to get root bound but if I can veg till mud may in 1 gallon I'll hold off.started veg mid march.also I live in ohio.ty sir

You can get by in a 1 gallon for awhile yet. Be sure to water as necessary and feed often enough to maintain plant health.

I will get back to you with some thoughts but it might not be until tonight or tomorrow morning.
Man I can't thank ya enough.appriciate ya given a shit.u take your time hombre I got few weeks b4 decided if hafta transplant again b4 put out.really don't want to though
1000003564.jpg
1000003565.jpg

You can get by in a 1 gallon for awhile yet. Be sure to water as necessary and feed often enough to maintain plant health.

I will get back to you with some thoughts but it might not be until tonight or tomorrow morning.
Yeah bout give em recharge,silica,plant food
I watch em like hawk so will stay on watering n feeding n hopefully 🤞🏻I can hold off on putting out till mid May yet still keep in 1 gallon.imma keep one in tent n scrog out.other 12 goin out side.maybe 11 one in back been given me fits since germ.tysm my guy

Also why was hoping to go to16 8 to slow the growth a little till I can put em outside.then I'll go back to 18 6 for one I leave in tent n scrog out.thnx 4 keepin 💯brother i appreciate the real ones💪🏻🙌🏻🤘🏻
1000003216.jpg
1000003160.jpg
1000003146.jpg

I always did 24/7 and 12/12 for flowering now I start at 24/7 for the first week or two and then gradually go down to 18/6 when it's time to flower ( or when I want them to flower ). My question is can you go any lower than 16/8 for veg and 12/12 for flowering??? And what really should be a cut off point for both veg and flower???
20240321_161057.jpg
My ladies.
20240323_172245.jpg
New grow room is bigger I promise more pictures to come.
20240321_161057.jpg
20240323_172245.jpg

Ok nxt question then how long can I veg in a 1 gallon pot then if I stay on top of watering n feeding.i like to transplant little as possible.was gonna put out so didn't get root bound.but if I can veg longer in my tent in 1 gallon I'll hold off till mid may.
One thing that has not been mentioned and should have. Are your plants photo-period or auto-flower?

I grow in a natural or mineral soil mix and I have kept plants in a vegetating stage in one gallon pots for several months while waiting for room in the flowering cabinet or tent. Then about two or threes weeks before one or more plants in the flowering area were coming out I would transplant some of the waiting plants into a larger pot and let them grow new roots.

Things that slow down the plants include lowering the temperatures and reducing the amount of light they get. It is easy to set the lights for 14 or 15 hours on and 9 to 10 off. Then to prevent any of them from even trying to flower I used a 'gas-lantern method or schedule' which meant that I had half of the lights come on for an hour during the middle of the 9 or 10 hours the lights were off. This was enough to prevent the plants from flowering even though they were sexually mature. Definitely will need timers to pull this off.

If you are growing in a dirt or compost based soil then other things that will slow down the plant growth are reducing the amounts of water and fertilizers. Doing this is a bit trickier since it involves learning to notice when the plant is going to need water about 4 to 6 hours before it even starts to wilt. If the plant wilts too often or for too many hours it can damage the vascular system and some plants will never recover. Been there and done that.

And, all this time the plants are slowly growing. Reduce the fertilizing and they do OK if the soil is decent.

If you only have to wait about 5 to 6 weeks before putting them outside you might be OK even if growing is some of the mixes that contain a good amount of peat moss or coco coir.

Also, look up 'hardening off' plants that are going from inside the house to outside. These are methods of letting the plant get used to outdoor temperatures and being in sunlight.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas to think about.

One thing that has not been mentioned and should have. Are your plants photo-period or auto-flower?

I grow in a natural or mineral soil mix and I have kept plants in a vegetating stage in one gallon pots for several months while waiting for room in the flowering cabinet or tent. Then about two or threes weeks before one or more plants in the flowering area were coming out I would transplant some of the waiting plants into a larger pot and let them grow new roots.

Things that slow down the plants include lowering the temperatures and reducing the amount of light they get. It is easy to set the lights for 14 or 15 hours on and 9 to 10 off. Then to prevent any of them from even trying to flower I used a 'gas-lantern method or schedule' which meant that I had half of the lights come on for an hour during the middle of the 9 or 10 hours the lights were off. This was enough to prevent the plants from flowering even though they were sexually mature. Definitely will need timers to pull this off.

If you are growing in a dirt or compost based soil then other things that will slow down the plant growth are reducing the amounts of water and fertilizers. Doing this is a bit trickier since it involves learning to notice when the plant is going to need water about 4 to 6 hours before it even starts to wilt. If the plant wilts too often or for too many hours it can damage the vascular system and some plants will never recover. Been there and done that.

And, all this time the plants are slowly growing. Reduce the fertilizing and they do OK if the soil is decent.

If you only have to wait about 5 to 6 weeks before putting them outside you might be OK even if growing is some of the mixes that contain a good amount of peat moss or coco coir.

Also, look up 'hardening off' plants that are going from inside the house to outside. These are methods of letting the plant get used to outdoor temperatures and being in sunlight.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas to think about.
Tysm that's great news.exactly what I was thinkin.they photos n got em in coast a Maine stonington, use their plant food .gonna put em in 25 gallon pots when I put outside so they are mobile.yes I'm familiar with harding. Tryin get my skill level where can grow best I can given the circumstances so I appreciate ya.keep u posted my friend
Stay lifted

Back
Top Bottom