Vegetation Stage Fertilizer

NewToTHC

Hello: On my third small micro grow and learning quite a bit from the experiences of each grow. On issue that I would appreciate some advice on is fertilizer. I am starting to believe that a good quality high phosphorous fertilizer is essential during the flowering cycle, whereas the vegetation cycle is not as critical and more forgiving. Is it acceptable to better spend the money of a flowering/blooming fertilizer and just use a generic high nitrogen fertilizer during the vegetation cycle. Looking at some orchid fertilizer I have and it has a NPK of 25-10-10. Wouldn't that be fine during the veg cycle?

I'm sure to stir up some (insert other word for manure here), but high phosphorus is not needed during flower. I use a 9-3-6 fertilizer from start to finish. Growing in a soil-less mix like Pro Mix or Coco.

Well from what I have been reading and hearing lately high phosphorous may not necessarily be the end all be all in flowering. Some suggest a more moderate level.

Thanks yes, have listened to the Dyna Gro interview. Quite interesting.

p.s. Great Nute Calculations spreadsheet you have. Quite helpful

Question on your Nute calculator. In the edible calculator you have a field called "Cups used in recipe". What is the difference/correlation between that and the field "Fluid ounces infused". Shouldn't they be the same for example 1 cup and 8 ounces infused?

Yes 8 oz is 1 cup as a conversion factor. The Fluid Oz Infused is the amount of oil or butter you used to make your initial product. Then the Cups Used In Recipe is the amount of said oil/butter you used to make your edibles. So say I use 21 grams of herb and put 24 oz (3 cups of butter into my Magical Butter machine to make a batch of butter to use for cooking. Then from that butter, I used 8 oz (or 1 cup) to make a batch of Toll House cookies. I recently found lab results that show butter is 93% (.93) efficient at capturing the THC from the herb and most oils come in at 82% (.82). So the instructions for that Calculator need updated. Hope that helps.

Not trying to stir up any compost either...but I personally think a lot of this conversation about veg nutes is completely lost forest for the trees BS and I hate to say it but this is all people falling victim to propoganda in advertising.

I will try to explain in short.

Indoor and outdoor growing are very different. That holds for all plants. There are a lot of things that are the same and many things very different. Growing cannabis in a 4 month cycle is unnatural. Unless you know what you are doing you can't do it right in soil. 1 week old soil doesn't really exist in nature.

Inevitably if you build a decent soil for growing in you won't need veg nutes. In fact...if you really want to invest a few minutes a week in 6 to 9 months you can have homemade stuff that gets primo results and all you add is good water and some sugars maybe.

Needing nutes in veg on soil is the result of 2 things. Undersized pot or inadequate soil mix.

I have no problems just using water on a good propper layered soil blend through the entire grow.

For a micro garden you may want smaller pots and go hydro to be honest. DWC is supper easy and you can get huge yields in a small space. It does require a bit more hands on.

But soil...done right...is just add water every few days.

This plant is a clone that I had in soil 1 week. I gave it 1 shot of my home brew tea and then after 1 week to deal with transplant shock... into the bloom tent. Only water from there. No real need for veg nutes. The soil had more than enough in there.

What people fail to understand is even from seed ...in a 5 gallon container there is enough to get through 2 to 5 weeks of veg easy and in fact done right much much longer. Needing veg nutes in soil is basically a fail. You may as well be in coco if your soil is that bad.

And the messed up part is you can buy everything you need over the counter already for you...just not as good as you can make. But you can go buy all the stuff and make autopilot soil with cheap bags if you understand the blends. My soils often comes in a bit too hot and shows minor nute burn until bloom...but they grow monsters, on basicly sugar water.

And this gal was straight over the counter 3 part mix. All I did was add my home bloom brew in bloom. But veg I drew out this gal in a SCROG on no veg nutes. Just 3 equal parts perlite, pre composted steer manure (at Home depot) and a good bag soil...I used fox farm on that run. When she was ready to bloom I started adding chitosan in my bloom tea.

Back
Top Bottom