Watering seedlings

Canachris

A Little advice on watering my seedlings. The first week I didn't water at all. 4 days ago I started noticing in the morning when I'd move them to a sunny window they felt kinda light. I would water until runoff but still every morning now they feel light. It has been exceptionally dry here and I have a fan on em all day... so is it OK to water everyday at this early stage ? Can letting them get dry worse than too much water ?

20220620_063654.jpg

whats the temps, because i find it hard to believe that cup dries in 24 hours with no root system yet. If you soak the cups, the roots have no intrest in "searching" for water. That small plant, should be getting about 1/4 cup of water every other day about. over watering will rot the roots, because it runs out of O2, underwatering, or WILT, isnt bad if you catch it same day.

whats the temps, because i find it hard to believe that cup dries in 24 hours with no root system yet. If you soak the cups, the roots have no intrest in "searching" for water. That small plant, should be getting about 1/4 cup of water every other day about. over watering will rot the roots, because it runs out of O2, underwatering, or WILT, isnt bad if you catch it same day.
The temps have been in the 60's thru mid 70's with no humidity... the dew point is 45 today it's like I'm in the desert

It's only been 7 days since sprout in these 9 Oz cups, I could up to a 1 qt yogurt.
NO, If you feel you have to water everyday, then try to just water everyday. Trust me, putting it in a bigger pot isnt the answer to everything.

NO, If you feel you have to water everyday, then try to just water everyday. Trust me, putting it in a bigger pot isnt the answer to everything.
Ok, ya know I used start off in my big container all the time then I had all these people telling me the bennies of "up-potting". Cool I'm gonna just water her as she needs till my bag of soil gets delivered on the 3rd. Thanks Mayne,

Ok, ya know I used start off in my big container all the time then I had all these people telling me the bennies of "up-potting". Cool I'm gonna just water her as she needs till my bag of soil gets delivered on the 3rd. Thanks Mayne,
Right on bro, I tend to think im the master of solo cups, lol
:morenutes:

check out my journal.

A great thing to do is, trim the bottom of the solo cup with scissors, so that the cup barley holds itself together. Put that solo into another solo with no holes, to hold any runoff. When the roots grow out the bottom, trim them off, and do that for 3 weeks. What happens is, the water root, or the thicker of the roots, will then branch off, and make new roots and start a stronger grow off more thinner roots or Nute roots i call them. This will create a much larger main root ball.

check out my journal.

A great thing to do is, trim the bottom of the solo cup with scissors, so that the cup barley holds itself together. Put that solo into another solo with no holes, to hold any runoff. When the roots grow out the bottom, trim them off, and do that for 3 weeks. What happens is, the water root, or the thicker of the roots, will then branch off, and make new roots and start a stronger grow off more thinner roots or Nute roots i call them. This will create a much larger main root ball.
You may have to send me a link, I'm not very good navigating the interwebs from this smaaht phone

You want to wait until they feel like almost nothing is in them, not just 'light'. They will be 'light' for a day or two before they are 'dry' in a solo cup. Your little ones are not big enough to be emptying those cups in one day yet imo. When the leaves are out past the edges of the cups is usually the earliest you would need to up-pot.

Let me add the solo cup are the 9oz cups not the big 16 oz. And they have been very light and dry... it's been very unusually dry here in Mass this month and especially the last few days. So I'm thinking it's just bizarre conditions.

More than likely if you didn't water for a week in a solo cup then your soil became hydrophobic and when you 'watered to runoff" the soil didn't absorb water it just took a couple pathways to the bottom and absorbed very little.
So next day felt lite.
IMO its best to be sure you have very good aeration in the soil and water lightly everyday keeping the soil moist at all times.
Especially if you aerate your water to give high dissolved oxygen then everytime you add a tablespoon of water you're adding oxygen to the roots.
Roots do not like being dry, they also do not like an anaerobic environment where there's no oxygen.
They have no problem diving right into straight water as long as there's plenty of oxygen.

I'm having a braindead moment could you send me a link for the watering guide

Back
Top Bottom