What about topping? 2 at 50% or 2 at 100%?

MichaelBee

Does anyone know if the strain matters if one is to top. I have 3 gene pools to work with now, purple haze, white widow, and cat piss. My white widow is ready for flowering so I cut some clones and I was thinking about topping all for cuttings o plenty, but with a new op we need to have a successful first harvest so I only topped one as a tester. Does anyone has experience with this where you know that the plant will grow two colas as nice as the one it would if not topped? And, does strain matter here or do all behave the same. I can argue it both ways.

Generally speaking, the prupose of toppinng is to limit height.
If you top (between nodes with a sterile razor blade) 2 branches will grow but each branches will both yield 1/2 of an untopped plant.
Exceptions to this are if you add extra soil (for more roots mass), extra light, extra nutrients and extra water. Then you can increase yield.

thats an educated guess, no one really knows, each grow is differant, differant things you do, will have an influence on how your plant does, conditions matter alot too, and yes sometimes the strain does, say you top lowryder, oh, what do i do now? get my meaning?

So there are too many variables to say for sure,huh. I know more light = more bud as does growing the plant upand down (roots) I aim for a plant with the same size roots as the top. I like to cut the bottom out of cheap landscape buckets and for mine stack one with a hole on one without and fill with dirt, or for hydro, even stack two rockwool 4" on top when the roots poke out the first, I saw that in NL after High Times Cup X. Thanx, If anyone has tested or specifically had good or bad results please let me know.

I'm not a fan of topping. It puts the plant through a lot of undue stress. Tieing a plant top down can accomplish the same results as topping by redirecting auxins from the merrystem to lower branches. The results are bushier plants with more clone/bud sites. In small grow rooms it can also allow one to make the most of a small light and increase yield.

Yes, the strain can play a part in it. Some breeders will give specific instructions to not top their strain if it is known to concentrate bud production along the meristem. Other strains are ideal for it. Check the descriptions when you're ordering your seeds, sometimes they advise or advise against topping.

RangerDanger said:
Generally speaking, the prupose of toppinng is to limit height.
If you top (between nodes with a sterile razor blade) 2 branches will grow but each branches will both yield 1/2 of an untopped plant.
Exceptions to this are if you add extra soil (for more roots mass), extra light, extra nutrients and extra water. Then you can increase yield.

You forgot, extra veg time.:cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

Back
Top Bottom