Topping

Ya I figured it wouldn't be, you never know tho. You guys are awesome. I just recently started a new grow, I'll start a journal soon so I can get some Deep Water Culture to let me know what I need to do.

Awesome info! Can you top when you're at about a week into flowering? +rep

Hehehehe

I did that recently, but by accident!

I made a rookie mistake and my 90W UFO got away from me when I was moving it.

It dropped, and swung on its cord, crushing the top of one of my plants that were about a week and a half or so into 12/12.

It was ugly -- luckily, only one plant was damaged, and only the top 4-5 inches.

So, I immediately applied first aid, using a bamboo stick to support the damaged top.

It did not recover well, and the next day, it was obvious that there was too much damage for the plant to repair itself -- there were multiple serious bruises to the main stem in the area where the damage occured, and of course none of the stem above the first bruise was able to get any nutrients, etc...

So, I had no choice -- I cut the main stem below the damage, and covered it temporarily to keep the cut site from attracting insects, etc...

Now, normally I would never ever ever prune after flipping, but in this case, there was no option -- the damage was too extensive.

The plant took at least a week to resume any growth, and it has been developing a little bit slower than its clone sisters.

The damage clearly shocked it a lot, and really confused it as all the hormones have been redistributed in a way it was not expecting.

The lower branches are OK, and the bud sites there are fine, and are starting to swell a bit now as the are receiving all the nutrients.

Clearly though, there was no advantage to pruning it in that manner -- it stressed the plant significantly, and it is clear there was no gain in yield, since I lost the entire cola, so I think my little accidental rookie mistake helps to answer your question -- no pruning after flipping, it just does not work.

I'll post a photo if you'd like -- it's a pretty sad sight, such a pretty lady with good development on the lower branches, but no head.... the cola-less wonder! I guess I should name her.... :smokin:

Damn man I'm sorry to hear that. I have been lucky enough to not drop my light yet. Now that I am thinking about it I'm sure it will happen... I'm using a 600w and if that bad boy fell on my girls I think it might be game over. At least you recovered it for the most part. I like the name too!

I wasn't stoned and that may have been the problem.

Haha yea that was most likely the problem. Sorry to hear that tho, I'd roll up a fatty and try and forget about it. But hey quick question about the CFLs, the 2700k ones are more in the red/orange spectrum and there for more used for flowering right? I have been looking around and everyone seems to be out of the 5600k ones... Will I see a noticeable difference if I veg with the 2700k ones for a few weeks?:passitleft:

Hey, ya ain't a grower until an accident happens in the grow room. LOL! It happens to all of us eventually. I broke a 105watt cfl just the other day. I wasn't stoned and that may have been the problem.

I had four supplemental 2700K CFL going and drove 30 miles for another three. I got home the with the three and was Cowboying around in there and broke four of them, half by knocking them off their clamps on sticks and half screwing them in to tight without adding adapter to lengthen the screw in. I was pissed, and now five days later I'm still pissed about it. lol:cool:

The 2700k are for flowering. The 5000k are mid-range but you can work the extremes and go 2700k and 6500k to give a balanced light. Approx, 2 to one ratio depending on the stage of growth. Veg., lean 6500 and flower lean 2700k. The balanced lisght helps the plant stay healthing and growing. 5000k is just a mid range to give it a little of all the colors.

I also use 6500k for side lights when I flower. I'm trying to get the side buds to grow a little so they can see the light. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Cool, thanks for the info! Time to head to the store... after i roll one up of course

I want to lean mine over in veg and grow the plant in a line horizontally while the new branches go up towards the light then let the main cola go straight up into the light with my next grow.

So I'd like to get about 6 main colas with pruning only on opposing branches to the light.

Maybe I could even stake the branches and get like 12 main colas.

im not sure that works tho, unsure how long it would take to vege that!

I want to lean mine over in veg and grow the plant in a line horizontally while the new branches go up towards the light then let the main cola go straight up into the light with my next grow.

So I'd like to get about 6 main colas with pruning only on opposing branches to the light.

Maybe I could even stake the branches and get like 12 main colas.

im not sure that works tho, unsure how long it would take to vege that!

takes 2 or 3 weeks, I would guess.

I both TOP and LST. I top 3 or 4 times while still young and small. Then mid way into FLOWERING cycle, I bend them over some and tie them down to allow more light to penetrate in.

I do not believe TOPPING while young stresses them any.

That's an awesome point because I topped my plant about 1 1/2 weeks in and it just took off 3 days later. Then I topped my other plant about 4 weeks in and they seem to be taking a little longer to shoot up. I'm definitely going to try and top my next plants at least a few times when they are young and see how they take it. I topped my one plant when she got the first 3-fingered fan leaf...So the second node... Can you do it on the first node? I'm talking if you're growing from seed of course...

Back
Top Bottom