What type of soil to buy/where to get it?

Legendary-Her

I was looking for specific info on this problem and I couldn't find any. If someone could link me a decent thread on it that would be helpful. Or if you can tell me what type of foxfarm soil I would need for indoor growing 2-3 plants? They have a lot of different options on their site I wasn't sure. Or if there is another brand you know of that works well.

Thanks
Legend

Yup if using foxfarms then the ocean forest with 50% perlite is a great mix!

You can order it online or take a venture to you local hydroponics store!

why would you stay away from happy frog? I use it religiously and have had no issues. I had worse luck with ocean forest being too strong for smaller plants, and plants needing nutes sooner, not to mention it costs more than happy frog for a smaller bag. Had absolute no issues with happy frog with new seedlings and clones all the way to harvest.

The FoxFarm soils are quality products, but I prefer to mix my own "no added nutes" blend that works really well for everything I grow in pots here which in addition to Cannabis includes, five varieties of tomatoes, red and green Jalapeño peppers, Red and Orange Bell peppers, and Cucumbers.

I mix 1 part Black Gold Waterhold Cocoblend with 1 part Hyponex potting soil. Mix thoroughly until totally combined and fill your pots.

The Hyponex can be replaced with some other BLACK potting soil formula as long as it is NUTE ADDITIVE FREE!

Better to start with a clean slate and then begin learning how to SLOWLY and properly add liquid fertilizers to your watering schedule on an AS NEEDED BASIS.

The best part of all this is that the above soil mix costs about 1/3 the price of most name brand premixes like the FoxFarm products you guys mentioned.

I actually use FoxFarm products every day, but I only buy their liquid products and add them to my crops during my watering schedules.

My local Tru-Value had both of those on sale for $14.99 for 1.5 CU FT bags. Is that a good deal for FF Ocean Forest and Magic Frog? I was debating whether to give them a try for the heck of it since it wouldn't cost me that much more than my current mixture brands.

whats good LH,
I am using a soil that has nothing in it at all!!! just plain ol soil, then I mix in some perlite for the drainage, I only do 20% because the soil I use drains good but I just want to make sure that it doesn't compact down on the roots when they are trying to grow!!! learned that with the WW grow!!! my Afgoo's are at the same mixture and the nutes do all the work on the ladies, I am going to be using Blue Planet Nutrients: Farmer's Pride Organics. It's the new line up from BPN!!! anyways, the soil I use is called Supersoil. weed and pests free!!! and its only $7 from home depot for 2 CF!!! hope this helps

:peacetwo:

Woah astonr i love you but not the supersoil! Thats where i got all my gnats! I dont recommend it! That shit sits in HD shipping facs for long time and usually is outside forever! I worked at HD for 10 yrs and know it well! Peace peeps!

Woah astonr i love you but not the supersoil! Thats where i got all my gnats! I dont recommend it! That shit sits in HD shipping facs for long time and usually is outside forever! I worked at HD for 10 yrs and know it well! Peace peeps!

Hmmm.... :hmmmm:

Good to know stuff like that when buying soil! Nothing I hate more than getting gnats or something like that in my garden from bad potting soil!

I went ahead and picked up two 1.5 cu ft bags each of Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Happy Frog today at Tru-Value. Turns out they were a few bucks cheaper per bag than our main nursery, so I went for it.

While my Coco-blend and Hyponex mix has always served me well, I am always open to trying new products too! My plan is to mix both together as was suggested earlier and possibly add in some Hyponex as well.

The thing I like about Hyponex is that it DRAINS really well! This is important when feeding as much as we all do over the course of a grow. This is one area that I am a little less happy with when it comes to the Coco-blend. That stuff is designed to HOLD water, but I sometimes feel that it is too good at that feat, which can lead to root rot and other bad tings. Hasn't happened to me yet, but this whole issue with my Blueberry plants in flower has forced me to reevaluate the use of Coco-Blend for "Indoor" veg and flower.

Also watch out for Sunbales. I had purchased a couple of bales and had to start my crop over. Infested like a mother! Good luck with the Ocean Forest and Happy Frog. Ive always had a great success with them!

REALLY??? oh shit!!! thats not good!!! thats what the ladies outside are sittin in!!! and they are booming!!! thats odd??? i had another friend that grew a lot and he used supersoil on all of his ladies, never had any pests or anything??? same with mine, nothing in the soil??? hmmm might have to make a slit second decision now??? thanks for the heads up CV!!!

:peacetwo:

A friend of mine "Cooks" his soil....He uses whatever soil and puts it on the top of his wood stove, stirs and.....According to him his plants do a "Happy Dance".

:goodluck:

Well I'm going to go against all the advice here and say that if you are on the East Coast, stay away from FFOF for now. The last bag I bought has some serious issues with ph. I can take a gallon pot, fill it with FFOF and run 6.6 water through it, and the runoff will be at 5.5! You can google this issue for yourself to see.

If you do decide to use FFOF, I would recommend adding some dolomite lime to the mix to help buffer the soil.

Well I'm going to go against all the advice here and say that if you are on the East Coast, stay away from FFOF for now. The last bag I bought has some serious issues with ph. I can take a gallon pot, fill it with FFOF and run 6.6 water through it, and the runoff will be at 5.5! You can google this issue for yourself to see.

If you do decide to use FFOF, I would recommend adding some dolomite lime to the mix to help buffer the soil.

Really? Thats good to know. I did go ahead and pick up some of that along with Happy Frog and mixed them in equal portions with Hyponex. These three soil brands will form the base for my latest batch of GDP clones that I just transplanted out of the cloner.

Guess I better PH the run off next time and see what I get. I usually don't bother with that during the summer here, but now that everything needs to start vegging indoors again, PH seems to have a lot more impact on plant health.

Thanks again for the heads up! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom