What's best dual fan controller or 2 variac fan controllers to slow speed without the buzz

Whitehotdog

Hi I upgraded my air intake and filter system to 6 inch system but Its just too fast for my set up
I need to slow both my systematic rvk fan and 2 speed ram fan down but don't want the annoying Buzz. I know there is alot of fan controllers on the Market but I have read mixed reviews about making the motors buzz .Can anyone recommend a good dual controller £150 budget that won't cause buzzing .or should I just buy 2 variac controllers ,that reviews say will do the job.and if so will a standard 2.2amp one be enough
And could I plug both the fans into one variac controller or would I need 2.
Sorry for all the questions .just don't want to waste money on something that doesn't work .
Cheers

the variables work great, I would get one that has a cord instead of the plug right on the back of the unit. Makes it easier to plug in. You could hook up 2 fans to one controller as long as the total draw of the fans doesnt exceed the controller which I dont think it would. The only issue is that you couldn't dim each fan individually. I have 2 separate variables for that reason. But I got them on Amazon at $17 a piece.

Why do you have an intake fan? :hmmmm:

Well, yeah, I figured that - buy why, lol? Especially since you stated that your exhaust fan was moving too much air. It'd likely move less if you weren't "pushing" it with another fan, yeah?

Thanks Tyson took the plunge and ordered 2 variac controllers £150 for 2 expensive but cheapest option as looks like reading various threads unless spending £300ish on a smcom hybrid controller they all seem to have the annoying Buzz . Just hope they do you job..cheers

If i just used to inline filter fan I got negitive pressure sucking the tent in

Yeah, that's generally considered to be a good thing - it ensures that the odor from the grow can only exit the grow space via the carbon filter. If, in your opinion, that negative pressure is too much... Well, that's the point of fan speed controllers, lol, so you're on the right track. Additionally, companies like Secret Jardin sell products meant to run horizontally between two vertical tent supports in order to help keep the tent from collapsing inward too much. But such things are easy to DIY.

Incidentally, Secret Jardin also sells duct flange kits (and optional light baffles for same). If the three passive intakes along the bottom of the three walls (that don't have a door) of the average tent don't allow sufficient airflow, a person can use such a kit to create additional vents that appear "factory." You could, in theory, end up with a grow tent that was more hole than wall, so to speak. At a guess, it'd probably cost significantly less than £150, would avoid the (perceived) need to run an intake fan, avoid having to balance your fans so that one isn't in actuality driving the other, would pretty much remove the possibility of inadvertently moving more air through your carbon filter than it's rated for, et cetera.

But as long as you've found a solution that works for YOU, that's the important thing. I've mainly posted the above for other people who'll end up reading this thread (and might otherwise end up thinking that an intake fan is in any way necessary in what amounts to a normal setup), as you seemed pretty fixated on a multi-fan setup from the beginning.

But i have to add i dont think the word Fixated comes to mind when trying to get the correct set up using reseach,trial and error (probley the same thing you and every one else did when starting off.)
I used to run a 4 inch fan and on hot days the temp got upto 36° I researched and the info i came up with (as a novice) grower was i could either of install a aircon unit or increase air flow in tent
And that's the option I'm going for .when I slow the fan down I might find a dont need the air intake but as I stated this is a learning process.

Yes, it was ill-considered on my part, and it was too late to edit my post when I got around to thinking about it. Apologies for that.

Hi people

I've finally started a little thing of my own. I've been waiting for this moment for a long time!
And I've nearly got my setup how I need it....
But the thing I'm struggling with is noise!!
I tried using a speed controller that u plug into, which is good in terms of control over the speed, but it has a very loud hum.

Now I've tried installing a variac, which has no hum at all, but.... it seems to only have one speed instead of 5!!

Now I dont know maybe I have wired it wrong, or maybe there is very little difference between the 5 settings ( which in my opinion their isn't much point to).

I'm at the point where I can crank my digi ballast up to 600 from 400 but either way at the moment the noise is too great with the fan up

Can anyone help me out... I've run out of ideas

Nice one people, look forward to your replies

Back
Top Bottom