whats going on with my ph levels?(broken meter?)

the test kit was just to compare just never seen 8.4 thats ocean ph.I just dont trust hanna at all.Had way to many problems with them.took 4 of them back.ended up with another band they took the hanna back and gave me credit.just not a big fan.and you can test the accuacy of a strip kit with your 7.0 solution and see how it fares.... its good to get a base line.

I ended up buying two Hanna's....(the cheapest model, red in color $30+/-)
The first one, I ended up dropping in the res.
Dried it out got it working again, but then seemed to fade.
The second one now in use. I always am calabrating.
Seems to be off .1 to .15 everytime.
I dip in the 7.01 and the 4.01
After the harvest here next month, my new investment will be another PH meter.
I doubt it will be a hanna........
Any tested meters out there that can handle the rigorous road of the 420 lifestyle???

sooo is a digital ph meter really worth it?? it seems the more i look into them, the more i see people have problems with them..

right now im just using a ph tester that you take a sample from the res,add a few drops of solution,and check the color.

id like to be a little more accurate so i was planning on getting a meter that is about 140 bucks(probably a hanna),but if its not going to last, that would be a big waste.also, does the 7.0 and 4.0 solution ever change?? or is there some super special chemical that always keeps it at 7.0(or 4.0) ??

hoff;
I think you need to be a little more precise with the ph than a test strip.
I have problems because I spent only $40
I have a friend who spent $200. I believe he has no problems
I didn't want to spend that much after shellin out about $3k for my grow room set up.
I was wondering too about the test solution changing.
I rinse mine meter off after dipping in the res, then dip into the solution.
I think after 5-6 times it must lose its potentcey, as I notice some varience.
I still get a good ball park range though, plus I measure it against the 4.01 solution as well and I get a better confirmation that its real close.
I think I just need to but more packets of test solution and quit trying to get them to last weeks at a time. (I amaze myself sometimes, spend 3k on lights, ebb&flow etc., and go cheap on just a few $1 paks of claibration solution, i am an idiot I swear!)

Ask around on who uses what meter. I do think the more you spend the better quality.

yaa i agree..i hate using test strips or test solution because i feel its not accurate enough...but im going to go ahead and say F it and buy the 180 dollar meter and definately get a few test solutions..especially since i get them for free..THANK YOU DR.Greenthumbs!! hopefully the next one wont let me down.

If it's any help, i never calibrate my meter using the low (4.0) screw. I just calibrate to 7.0 and it stays pretty accurate. The meter you dropped in the water is prolly trash as they are not water tite. I just started a new grow and my 2 pH meters were wacky so I installed new batteries. I think they all take the 357 type. Also, I have found that if I leave the meter in pH 7 solution for 24 hrs before I calibrate it, it stays accurate. The 2 meters I just refreshed have been stored for about 2 months and they went competely wacky, and I couldnt calibrate them evenb after putting in new batteries. Leaving them in pH 7 solution for 24 hrs made them like new again...just my 2c

HGH:

Some brands of meters have "storage solution" and "conditioning fluid" they recommend for doing exactly what you stated here.

HGH:

Some brands of meters have "storage solution" and "conditioning fluid" they recommend for doing exactly what you stated here.

I just store it using the pH7 solution in the cap. It usually evaporates though and I have to soak it in the solution for a few hours and recalibrate it before I use use it in a new grow.

Back
Top Bottom