When should I take clones from my plants?

In Jorge Cervantes' book "Marijuana grow basics - THE EASY GUIDE FOR CANNABIS AFICIONADOS" he suggests to take clones during the third week of flowering

in the book it says "Take clones now to pre-grow them for the next 8-week crop"

I am going to try and take clones from my mother who is in her third week of flowering like tomorrow so I'll let everyone know how that goes later...

Well I hope this helps someone :thumb:

:peacetwo:

So I only took two clones from my mother plant during her third week of budding... I cut two branches from the middle.

They both rooted and are doing excellent! :)

It definitely took longer than normal though (I'm assuming that is because the clones have to stop budding and revert to vegetative growth)

But I am very satisfied, they are very happy and healthy :) and they are my first successful clones

Hooray :thumb:

:peace:

I am about to try to clone 3-4 pieces of each of my 3 females that just started to flower... let everyone know how it goes... and recommendations on rooting gel?

Hmmm, I was going to take cuts before flower but now I've changed my mind. I did have success doing it in flower and making the cuts later will help get them rooted closer to when the seed plants finish. :thanks:

I am sure that waiting till flowering is going to take longer because the plants need to revert to veg, but I only wanted to clone females and not waste the medium and nutes for males so I waited till I determined they were female.

Then following some methods that I've read about, I cut my clones with a sterile razor, applied clonex, cut the larger leaves to promote root growth, and inserted clones into Rapid Rooter in a nursery with a humidity dome.

Pics are here...
IMG00285-20100811-2151.jpg
IMG00286-20100811-2151.jpg

A couple of the clones' leaves were not cut for an experiment to see if it really does make a difference.

Hopefully this will help someone...

I am sure that waiting till flowering is going to take longer because the plants need to revert to veg, but I only wanted to clone females and not waste the medium and nutes for males so I waited till I determined they were female.

Then following some methods that I've read about, I cut my clones with a sterile razor, applied clonex, cut the larger leaves to promote root growth, and inserted clones into Rapid Rooter in a nursery with a humidity dome.

Pics are here...
IMG00285-20100811-2151.jpg
IMG00286-20100811-2151.jpg

A couple of the clones' leaves were not cut for an experiment to see if it really does make a difference.

Hopefully this will help someone...

I was wondering how you made out with this cutting the leaves or not cutting. Was there any difference?
Peace
OHB

I was wondering how you made out with this cutting the leaves or not cutting. Was there any difference?
Peace
OHB

This one's leaves were cut and it definitely has some roots as you can tell. The one I didn't does not have any visible roots but neither do some of the other cut ones. So as far as I know, I don't think it matters, but I'm gonna cut em anyway every single time from now on! Especially if this is the result after only 9 days!

IMG00396-20100821-2205.jpg

I use a areo cloner, had been borrowing one and decided to make my own. The price sticker on the one I borrowed said $397 and I couldn't believe it so I built one for about $11 + I had the pump.

I'm not familiar with your cloning techniec, I get the rapid rooters you put them in but are they just sitting in water or how do you do it?

I started cutting my clones because the ends of the leaves usually die if I don't. So that made sense to me - I hadn't heard anyone say it helped with root development.

Thanks for any help ! I'm just getting back into growing and I'm behind the times. Two days ago I planted one Aurora Indica from Nirvana and another yesterday and lo and behold the first one is sticking out already. They are Fem seeds so I'm trying to decide on a strategy. I have a veg garden and a finishing closet. I just want continuous good medicine. What would you do?

I use a areo cloner, had been borrowing one and decided to make my own. The price sticker on the one I borrowed said $397 and I couldn't believe it so I built one for about $11 + I had the pump.

I'm not familiar with your cloning techniec, I get the rapid rooters you put them in but are they just sitting in water or how do you do it?

I started cutting my clones because the ends of the leaves usually die if I don't. So that made sense to me - I hadn't heard anyone say it helped with root development.

Thanks for any help ! I'm just getting back into growing and I'm behind the times. Two days ago I planted one Aurora Indica from Nirvana and another yesterday and lo and behold the first one is sticking out already. They are Fem seeds so I'm trying to decide on a strategy. I have a veg garden and a finishing closet. I just want continuous good medicine. What would you do?

I love the choice of the AI. I didn't get the fem seeds but I like my odds so far.

As far as the rooters, they literally sit in about 2-3cm (about 1/4" if you live in America) of water and small amount of nutes. The rooters soak up the water and nutes which keeps the stem moist at all times. Seems to work just fine.

If you want constant meds, you'll need to either have multiple plants at multiple stages of growth at all times, or you can keep the mother alive and budding for a long time by just removing small amounts of buds as they mature. Eventually though, final flower will occur so what you can do is harvest your buds but leave the leaves intact as much as possible and revert it back to veg, and then re-flower. You can do this cycle forever if maintained properly.

My system is to just grow a lot and always have a plant flowering! Easiest method and why I clone in the first place!

Thanks H&B I plan on having a closet full of flowers and the veg garden going all the time to root clones and veg. I just have to figure out how to grow and harvest it before I smoke the last batch! Times are good. I was so happy to seee that little bugger coming up it just made my day. Thanks and keep on tokin'

im trying to figure out the best 'pruning' techniques so i can reduce height accordingly without CHOPPING down the whole plant. I see someone suggested only taking a cut of a branch when it has ATLEAST 5 nodes. I also heard the cut can be as little as 2 inches. Which is true? So far ive taken cuts from the LOWER branches-over 3 inches and ive taken a few from the top about 2-3 inches. All of them are wilting!
Im not THAT bad at cloning, ive made over 25 successful from clone to flowering 18 inches or taller from ONE female this year-im just working with genetics now.
Super Lemon Haze
Critical Mass
White Russian

im trying to figure out the best 'pruning' techniques so i can reduce height accordingly without CHOPPING down the whole plant. I see someone suggested only taking a cut of a branch when it has ATLEAST 5 nodes. I also heard the cut can be as little as 2 inches. Which is true? So far ive taken cuts from the LOWER branches-over 3 inches and ive taken a few from the top about 2-3 inches. All of them are wilting!
Im not THAT bad at cloning, ive made over 25 successful from clone to flowering 18 inches or taller from ONE female this year-im just working with genetics now.
Super Lemon Haze
Critical Mass
White Russian

Huh...interesting stuff here.

I'm really interested in looking at my genetics a bit more too, so this is really helpful to hear.

:bravo:

Does it matter how mature the branch? Will older woody stems clone just as well as when they are still real green and tender?

Great question. Can someone answer this?

I have never been successful at cloning anything (I tried all sorts of plants: philodendron, pothos, geraniums, pineapple, etc, etc....) and need to learn why and rule out all problems before I get xpensive seeds and need to clone for real. Right now I have 7 geranium clones dying.

Does it matter if you clone the top when you crop your plant or is it better to clone side or lower branches? Since auxin growth-hormones are distributed by gravity, and concentrated in the top, maybe the top growth tip is not the best for cloning? It will want to grow and sap clone strength before it has the roots to support this, right? These auxins might fight for control of protein production in cells so that root growth is inhibited? Seems like lower branches closer to the ROOT auxins would actually be better??? This is my logical conclusion, not my experience or anything else. I never cloned a Marijuana plant but this just makes sense to me from all the general plant books and marijuana books I have read on growing -- and what I know from biology.

i just cut some clones and used superthrive at the center of the pots where im putting the clones along w/ rooting compound. 1st time using it on clones.:thanks:

regarding taking clones from clones, I'm on my 6th generation kushberry clones (keep taking clone from clone before they go in bloom) and initially the clones would root in a week, and give me at least a 90% success rate, but this most recent batch, only 1/15 rooted. I don't know if it was my technique, environment, or if the genetic structure degraded over time, but I just thought I'd share my experience and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Super Lemon Haze
Critical Mass
White Russian

i have a home made cloner made with a 18gal tote, pvc pipes, a pump and sprayers. turns out my sprayers were clogged and that was contributing greatly to my cloning failures. so make sure your clones are staying moist or getting sprayed. im still trying to figure out what part of the plant roots the best-the bottom growth or the tops???

Back
Top Bottom