When should I take clones from my plants?

My plants are currently 4 weeks old starting their 5th from seed (i started counting from their first two real leaves) and was wondering if I could clone them? I was going to wait 8 weeks but they are taking a lot of space and I only want a single mother from all 3 strains if possible. I currently have 5 from regular seeds 3 from one feminized strain and 2 from another feminized strain. Should I be keeping only 1 of each fem and all 5 others... keep only one strongest from each strain, hope for the best, and flower the rest... or keep em all a lil while longer, clone, sex, and then determine the best mothers??? I am using a 2'x4' grow table. All opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

hi guys, i have recently constructed a frame for a clone/veg box, im relatively new to growing and will be attempting to clone in a month or so. I wish to be able to clone a plant and by the time its at the desired height i can harvest my flower room and transfer the vegged clones, so i have a steady flow of harvest.

My question is if i take my clone say a couple of hours before i start the flower my plants, will they be of size (1.5-2ft) by the o harvest my plants. Will it be too early to pull my clone or to late. At first i will grow from seed to get a desired strain, then i will use the clone from a clone method.

Heres my frame i constructed out of 3 shelving units, total of $48 Au, just waiting on some hardware,Mylar,fans ect.
a bit bigger then 2x2
imag00501347780021.jpg

Thanks guys

absolutely!

I started with clones (since i seem to NOT be able to handle seeds!) anyway....
1) i am ASSURED the clones i get are from FEMALE MOTHER PLANTS...all good so no need to worry as sex of plant seem to remain with the clone i.e., a clone from a mother will ALSO be a female and have the SAME molecular structures, ensuring the same quality of the mother (HINT/TIP: depending on your grow and how many plants you have...i usually get 8 clones going (more on that in a minnit) AFTER i create a MOTHER (by just letting sit in veg room and pruning it) When mothers go into flower room, i start 4-8 more clones into veg (i only grow 4 plants ata time...so i can ALWAYS sell spare clones to happy people!) but i make the 4 plants mothers too....taking young cuttings (as opposed to older cuttings...young one root WAY faster in my aero-cloner) anyway....
2) As my FIRST mothers are flowering )i do micro-farming...branch bending...lol...wich DOUBLES my yield...and when i harvest them, i put SECOND set of cloned mothers into flower room....
3) as i have NEW mothers vegging while the older mothers are flowering. Then repeat the process tp perpetuate your favorite strain ( i just LOVE whiteRhino!)
4) i would NOT advise just have a 'perpetual mother plant"...as in just keep one mother vegging and vegging and vegging...they become too old for cloning and usually wont produce a good crop! So...it is BEST to just keep making NEW mothers, take clones....and repeat the process!
It took me over 18 months to perfect this...but NOW i have it down...works EVERY TIME....as i have just harvested my 3rd crop...and am doin it all over again...so i can harvest every 2 months or so....WAY FREEKIN COOL!

NOW...i am individual hydro units (easier to isolate a nute or root problem and NOT affect other plant like with a main reservoir)
anyway...total hydroponics....and a aero-mister 8 space cloner.
This is a 5 gal bucket with a lid with 8 recessed hole in top which hold the foam discs holding the cuttings (hormone treated cut-ends exposed beneath to be misted). There ia a submersable pump with a rotary lil spray mister which keeps the roots to be happy!
Easy to check process....just lift lid a lil bit...after 7-10 days (or sooner) you have roots showing. When roots get to be 3-4 inches...safe transplanting into veg is possible! While in cloner, i add a couple tablespoons (per 2 gallons) of hydrogen peroxide...as this keeps the root solution and pump clean...and keeps the roots nice and happy! I even add a lil peroxide to flowering plants too...

SHIT...i almost forgot...i clone, veg and keep mothers vegging til flower time in a 4x4x6' tent...leaving a flap open to help regulate temp....temp is about 70 and humidity about 45-50 with a 600w MH bulb on a 16/8 light cycle....this combo works excellently....
i use 1/2 dose of liquid karma as a cloning solution, changing it out every couple weeks

The cloned mothers go into flower room when flower room gets harvested...1000 HPS on a 12/12 cycle...

only got spider mites ONCE...and i caught the lil bastards VERY EARLY....got an AWESOME organic mite killer...which was used ever so aparingly...and NO effects on plants, buds, taste OR EFFECT!

so...enuff babbling...hope this helps...
PS...THIS SITE ROCKS as THIS is where i have gotten AWESOME help from WAY COOL PEOPLE! MANY THANKS....
me just tryin to GIVE BACK here!
PICS OF WHITERHINO HARVEST COMING SOON!
peace

absolutely!

I started with clones (since i seem to NOT be able to handle seeds!) anyway....
1) i am ASSURED the clones i get are from FEMALE MOTHER PLANTS...all good so no need to worry as sex of plant seem to remain with the clone i.e., a clone from a mother will ALSO be a female and have the SAME molecular structures, ensuring the same quality of the mother (HINT/TIP: depending on your grow and how many plants you have...i usually get 8 clones going (more on that in a minnit) AFTER i create a MOTHER (by just letting sit in veg room and pruning it) When mothers go into flower room, i start 4-8 more clones into veg (i only grow 4 plants ata time...so i can ALWAYS sell spare clones to happy people!) but i make the 4 plants mothers too....taking young cuttings (as opposed to older cuttings...young one root WAY faster in my aero-cloner) anyway....
2) As my FIRST mothers are flowering )i do micro-farming...branch bending...lol...wich DOUBLES my yield...and when i harvest them, i put SECOND set of cloned mothers into flower room....
3) as i have NEW mothers vegging while the older mothers are flowering. Then repeat the process tp perpetuate your favorite strain ( i just LOVE whiteRhino!)
4) i would NOT advise just have a 'perpetual mother plant"...as in just keep one mother vegging and vegging and vegging...they become too old for cloning and usually wont produce a good crop! So...it is BEST to just keep making NEW mothers, take clones....and repeat the process!
It took me over 18 months to perfect this...but NOW i have it down...works EVERY TIME....as i have just harvested my 3rd crop...and am doin it all over again...so i can harvest every 2 months or so....WAY FREEKIN COOL!

NOW...i am individual hydro units (easier to isolate a nute or root problem and NOT affect other plant like with a main reservoir)
anyway...total hydroponics....and a aero-mister 8 space cloner.
This is a 5 gal bucket with a lid with 8 recessed hole in top which hold the foam discs holding the cuttings (hormone treated cut-ends exposed beneath to be misted). There ia a submersable pump with a rotary lil spray mister which keeps the roots to be happy!
Easy to check process....just lift lid a lil bit...after 7-10 days (or sooner) you have roots showing. When roots get to be 3-4 inches...safe transplanting into veg is possible! While in cloner, i add a couple tablespoons (per 2 gallons) of hydrogen peroxide...as this keeps the root solution and pump clean...and keeps the roots nice and happy! I even add a lil peroxide to flowering plants too...

SHIT...i almost forgot...i clone, veg and keep mothers vegging til flower time in a 4x4x6' tent...leaving a flap open to help regulate temp....temp is about 70 and humidity about 45-50 with a 600w MH bulb on a 16/8 light cycle....this combo works excellently....
i use 1/2 dose of liquid karma as a cloning solution, changing it out every couple weeks

The cloned mothers go into flower room when flower room gets harvested...1000 HPS on a 12/12 cycle...

only got spider mites ONCE...and i caught the lil bastards VERY EARLY....got an AWESOME organic mite killer...which was used ever so aparingly...and NO effects on plants, buds, taste OR EFFECT!

so...enuff babbling...hope this helps...
PS...THIS SITE ROCKS as THIS is where i have gotten AWESOME help from WAY COOL PEOPLE! MANY THANKS....
me just tryin to GIVE BACK here!
PICS OF WHITERHINO HARVEST COMING SOON!
peace

So here are shots of 2013 crop of WhiteRhino....
image570.jpg

image569.jpg

image573.jpg

image574.jpg

7-9 days and i be smoking some SERIOUS rhino! ...and got 2 mothers from clones...warming up to flower room in 2-3 days
oh...did i mention the 8 clones backin them up?
yup...this is fun!
PEACE

Here is an easy way to determine sex for sure without having to flower your plants.

You cut a piece of thick, black, garbage bag. You place this around one of the tops. Leave it on for 12 hours and remove it for 12 hours. Be sure the 12 hours it if off, the lights are on. That one top that is covered will in a few days start to flower. Just be sure the plants are ready to flower, or else it could take a while before the covered top flowers.

Once you know the sex of your plants, using this method, then you can take clones from the females, destroy the males, if you choose to, then place the females into the flower room.

I learned this from Jorge Cervantes, I think in one of his grow DVDs, free on Youtube. I also own two of his books, ligitly. I've learned some cool stuff from Soma as well, like when you repot from 1 gal to 3-5 gal, leave the top of the plant out of the soil, about an inch. When you water, the soil will slowly slide off the top roots, revealing them to air. It let's them air out. He claims it helps growth. I am doing this now with one of my Northern Lights, but not the other. So far, no difference. Then again, he recommended this for outside growing, mainly to avoid mold or something.

sorry if this questions been asked before i haven't seen it yet and iv pretty much gone thru every topic on here lol But how long can a mother last while cloning eg. if im taking clones from one mother will the mother continue to get bigger and bigger or will my cuts shorten it well enough to still reside in my indoor setup (which is not that big) Thanks sorry for the inconvenience i also have red the clone from clone solution instead of having one separate mother :peacetwo::Namaste:

I got a blueberry plant this spring someone had used as a mother plant. So I did the same thing and kept it clipped down. My last clippings I got 50 cuttings off it. Now it's budding
918A6200.jpg

About cloning a bud. The spray from underneath method works fine. The method of sitting in a covered tray is harder because the bud will mold and kill the clone. I had never done this before so I swore this year I was going to get the hang of this cloning. I think the number one thing is keep your temps as close to 76-77 degrees as you can.

In my next grow I will attempt a clone for practice. I haven't yet because I'm getting results and don't want to screw something up. :/

If you cut the tiny bottom limbs that don't get any sun and just use nutrients then the main limbs get bigger and you get more plants. Get this, I have clones bigger than the mother because the mother gets a problem of some sort or I find a better potting soil.

hi.
yes. mom will keep trying to get too big for any space allowed. prune her to keep her under control.
your mom can be viable to cut from for as long as you keep her alive and well. her future offspring, too.
... with practice you will figure out the ideal for your space. size of container for mom will be a factor. one gallon container needs more attention daily than a 5 gal. etc.

from one mother...
when you cut from mom, she will throw out new branch or more at internode just below cut stem.
one mom will need pruned every three weeks or so. some of these prunings will coincide with your need for rooting these cuttings for future use (flower or replacement mom).
to extend life of mom, or if there are space limitations, she could be re-potted, bonsai style (ROOT pruning).

or... you could replace her, in time, with one of her offspring that you rooted (clone 4 clone). you risk loss of ANY vegging plant for many reasons, so it is nice to have a back up or more in veg cycle in case of disaster (spare mom).

with care and perseverance, one is able to keep cannabis in vegetative state in very small containers, in a very small space. if flowering space is limited, you might have to destroy perfectly healthy clones due to limited veggie space, but you wont lose your strain unless entire crop is destroyed/lost.

or so I hear.

Take clones when the plant is young as possible in my opinion, or from a mother that has always been in veg. She was never placed in 12/12 at all.

Clones are the genetic age of their parents, so if you take a clone from a flowering plant, even if it just started to flower, the clones will be in that stage of flower, and thus have to revert. This takes more energy. The clones from a flowering plant then have a less survival rate, but man do they just branch out like crazy, without any training necessary.

I usually have success about 3 to 4 weeks into veg. prior to any pre-flowering. I don't have a mother but use the clones from seeded plants. I like to pull 3 of each and get em ready for the next grow. right now im growing/ cloning white rhino, jock horror, and snow white. I like to veg for at least 6 weeks before flowering. plenty of time to pull clones. and plenty of clones to pull.
a mom plant doesn't sound like a bad idea. I should find my favorite strains and have 2 or 3 moms. need to figure space:thanks:

How long before i can cut clones off of a mother i harvested. Shes been on 18\6 for 3 weeks and had really vigirures veg growth.
Gg, I would feed her some phosphorus , and about 5 days later I'd amputate. I have better success with bottom 1/2 of plant. Good luck !!

Hi I'm new to the forum and a first time grower I'm currently growing in a window I live in SC so sunlight is pretty good was wondering if anyone had any pointers or suggestions

Back
Top Bottom