Hydro - First Grow - 200W CFL Vegetation & 430W HID Flowering

Weed Farmer

What strain is it?
3 Strains: Lemon Joy, Exodus Kush (feminized), Confidential Cheese (feminized)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Lemon Joy: no information is available. bought from hightimes boutique
Exodus Kush:
Exodus Cheese (UK) x OG Kush
60% Indica : 40% Sativa
Flowering Time: 9 weeks
Yield: 450-550g/m2
source: DNA Genetics
Confidential Cheese:
LA Confidential x Cheese
70% Indica : 30% Sativa
Flowering Time: 8-9 Weeks
Yield: 400-500g/m2
Source: DNA Genetics

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Currently in between sprout and vegetation.

If in Veg... For how long?
Going to veg for 2 months before cloning to determine sex and flowering

If in Flower stage... For how long?
Going to flower full 9 weeks. First harvest expected December 23rd

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor

Soil or Hydro?
Hydroponic systems
Drip system for vegetation
Ebb and flow system for flowering

Medium?
Rockwool and clay pellets

What size pot?
Currently in 4" mesh pots
Have 6" mesh pots for flowering
Want 8" mesh pots though...

Size of light?
200w cfl Sunblaster 6400k for vegetation
430w Son Agro Philips for flowering

Is it aircooled?
1 180cfm extractor
1 80cfm bathroom ceiling fan (noise 1)
1 air vent through wall (no fan, air purifier placed at opening)

Temp of Room/cab?
Min. 23 C
Max 31 C

RH of Room/cab?
Min 45%
Max 72%

PH of media or res?
Between 5.5 and 6.1

Any Pests ?
Not sure... saw a little bug but squashed it before looking at it.
Going to use neem oil as preventative once they are about 1 month old

How often are you watering?
3 times a day for 15 minutes using a drip irrigation system

Type and strength of ferts used?
Synthetic
TechnaFlora Starter Kit
BC Boost
BC Grow
BC Bloom
Thrive Alive B1 - green (organic)
Thrive Alive B1 - red
Rootech cloning gel
Awesome blossoms
Magical
Root66
Sugar Daddy
Started first week (2nd week from seed) at 1/2 strength. Started full strength at 3 weeks. Light nutrient burn the first days but leaves quickly recovered

Room sizes:
Vegetation: 3'x8'X7'
Flowering: 3'x3'x7'

Re: Hydro - First Grow. 200w CFL Vegetation and 430w HID Flowering

Hi WF looks like a nice lil setup you got going. Hope the grow is fairly problem free for ya.

Keep in min in 2 months of veg your plants could get REALLY BIG I wouldnt be surprised if they hit slightly over 3 feet and they will almost definitely be 1.5-2 feet. Learn about LST as it helps to keep taller plants in check and also helps you fill your canopy better. LST stands for low stress training. It basically means tieing certain branches down. People usually do it indoors to keep all plants at the same height.

LST - Low Stress Training
Thanks Jimmy. Had heard about tieing down your plants but didnt know what it was called. Will definitely be looking that up. I heard of topping and pinching plants to reduce or alter their shape but am not quite sure the difference yet...

Currently starting week 4
One lemon joy is showing off her 5 leaf pride and is getting quite bushy. There is also this white film forming at the base of the stem. Could this be root rot?
All others are looking fine... maybe some have a little white at the bottom but that just looks like where the stem ends and roots begin.
I will post some pictures up later today

Currently have 10 plants about 2-3 weeks in, starting their 4th week

I would also start either HST or LST but I dont know when it is too early to start. I remember reading that you could start HST once the first 2 'five leaves'

I am going to look into this HST/LST some more. Any help would be appreciated.

As for the possible root rot I will be posting pictures and hoping someone will be able to confirm/deny it... and il will look into this h202 (hydrogen peroxide?) bath solution. And possibly adding some vital micro-organisms to my tank as well.

The use of neem oil will hopefully prevent the spread but may be impossible due to the interconnected hydroponic system.

Other conditions are favourable for healthy plants
Min/Max Temperature 23 - 30 degrees celcius
Fan on high and oscillating
Air extractor on medium 24/7
lights on a 18hr period
plants misted daily at start of day period with co2 water
foliar feed once a week (Thrive Alive B1 Green)
plants fed full strength nutrient mix (Technaflora starter kit); feeding time changed from 8 hour intervals to 3 times during the day period and not during the night cycle (in an attempt to prevent high humidity; fight off root rot)
Plants rotated every 3-4 days
Going to start flushing once a month (starting next week once my plants are a full 4 weeks old)
Verifying PH daily

I am not looking at the PPM/EC of my solution; was told it is not necessary if i am using a recipe...
I am not 'training' my plants in any way... which maybe I should since I have limited space....

I am also contemplating different flower scenarios....
One would be where I wait till my plants are about 8 weeks old and I take clones to sex the plants and then flower the clones after 2-3 weeks of veg...
Second would be where I take clones and veg them while I flower the parent to see the sex and harvest sooner...
Or, just flower everything at week 6 and learn from it since it is my first grow... sterilze everything (cause I think I have root rot) and start a whole new garden....

Got some things to plan out, read up, and decide! Any comments are appreciated.

Pictures will be posted later today

HI ----------!
How are ya? Well looks like you have most of your grow set out well.. Just be careful as the seedlings get larger you may need another CFl with reflector in there.. IMO they will grow well with them for veg, providing there is enough light for the space.
Good you have the 400w for flower, i used the same my last grow, and untrained xmas tree hit 5ft with 8 oz dry buds and some smaller bud.. My current grow, i attempted LST with her, she put out alot of branches and ive had to do a lot of tethering here and there for lighting, but im going to veg til about 3.5ft then flower her. Hoping she will hit 5ft with this LST:) If she does, i should get a similar harvest weight. Feel free to have a look at my current journal and you can see how she's shaped herself after my training.
You can start quite early, i left mine a little late i think, that is why she went troppo!!
Anyway good luk and Happy Harvesting, SMOKEMUP;):thumb:

Thanks for the tips smokemup! This is near the end of the 4th week and the seedlings are looking great. What I believed to be root rot or damping disease is going away after simply applying neem oil. I am going to be sterilizing and cleaning the equipment with h2o2 sunday and am contemplating giving #7 (the one with white shit on the stem) a h2o2 bath. The seedlings are around 4" tall the tallest being 5 inches.

I am currently applying a foliar spray once a week (Thrive Alive B1 - Green)
I have started applying neem oil every two weeks
I will be flushing next week for the first time with 1/2 strength flushing agent and will be doing this once a month (to prevent nutrient lock and salt buildup)
I currently spray the plants with carbonated spring water one hour before lights on every day
The plants are receiving full strength nutrients with PH maintained between 5.8 and 6.1

I have also started LST on Exodus Kush#2 and Lemon Joy#1 using the paper clip method

There appears to be slight brown spotting on some of the more developed plants but no insects were noticed by the naked eye... thinking of getting a magnifying thingy

Currently have 10 plants but only want 3 mothers. The 5 Lemon Joys are from regular seeds and the other 5 are feminized. Should I keep all 5 LJs and only one of each feminized? Keep only the best looking one for each strain and hope for three females (or at least one!)? or keep em all?

I also got some 60 day wonder from DNA to beat out the long wait of raising mothers, cloning and a 9 week flower cycle. You can check out my simultaneous grow journal here Hydro - Auto Flowering 60 Day Wonder by DNA Genetics

I am thinking of bring these in the vegging room since they will flower under any light and require some vegging anyways. Therefore I will definitely need more room. no? 16 plants on a 2x4 irrigation table (and I would move them in the flower room during the last 3-4 weeks...)

Im gonna have to sleep on this one. Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks for following! Let me know what you think. Peace :peace:

Hi buddy,
Well where do i start???:) Maybe with your first Q about Hydrog.Perox., I grow in soil, but in my run off tray i get some build ups of crap, so i weekly spray with watered dowm H/Perox. to kill any algae or harmful bacteria near her roots..
As youre using Hydro you must use what method suits. Now, your girls seem healthy - but be careful with the nutes, just hate to see you burn em! But yeah, as to the amount of plants you want, well really Firstly you must assess how much space you have, then work out the size you want each plant - allow for width mostly in a numbers game - and yeah, id select what ones were healthiest or ones youve LST'd etc; and go from there. You dont have to grow 20 plants to get a good harvest. From 1 plant i got half a pound, my last grow, and she was grown normally - xmas tree, in a 25 litre pot in soil. I didnt do much other than get as much light to her branches as i could and she filled my 5ft wide space nearly. So if you have room, And you say want 2 pounds, you could grow maybe 5 larger plants - Less maintenance, and easier to manage any diseases with 5 plants versus 20 smaller ones you may have to train and trim.
THATS JUST MY OPINION.. Youre free to do what you will buddy, and i am not going to criticise your methods.
See ive grown up with soil grown plants, and its kind of like owning a particular model of car a few times, you get used to the things that go wrong with it and youre used to working on them as youre familiar with it. But give me a brand new car and i have to learn about how it drives and stuff all over. So im USED TO SOIL, I HAVE NEVER SET UP MY OWN FULL HYDRO.
As far as it goes for me is artificial light and some liquid nutes. No co2 or PH up PH down, PPM,EEC meters,carbon scrubbers..
Im fairly basic and like it that way, i really need a larger grow space for another plant as half pound every 4-5mnths isnt much, a pound would nearly last me most that time and id be self sufficient fully.
But for now, this is my only option.. OR - I can go all out maybe one time and fill a room and harvest the once, maybe 12 plants - 6ft each. Then id only have to worry about 1 grow a year.. I think 12, 6ft plants grown as my last, but setup better than my last setup, would give me around 7 pounds. I dont smoke 7 pounds a year! DO I??? Hang on.. Ill have to calculate that!!!:) I doubt it, even with my Mrs - or my CHIMNEY - as i like to call her! Lol..
But yeah ideally id love to go for it and do it, tho if i did the only place i could do so is right next to my front door! SO, Err, THATS NOT GUNNA HAPPEN.
All id need is the 5-0 coming by for ANYTHING and theyd smell that shit from the street!! My walls are made of plasterboard n fibro, and are 3 inches thin!! Id feel the wind from a birds FART thru them:) LOl.. And smells would be IMPOSSIBLE to mask unless i cut away half the ceiling and hooked up 4 industrial extraction fans from above the plants straight up to the top of the roof and maybe hung 20,000 of those tree shaped car air fresheners from the buds..
Anyways, enough dribble for now mate, take it easy and i hope you can come up with something you can get good yield from that suits you best. Catch ya, SMOKEMUP;)

Thanks for the advice Smokemup. Im going to take it one week at a time and get a feel for it.

I will be cleaning out my system with h2o2 solution by filling my reservoir and pumping that shit through the system, scrub the table, and rinse with tap water.

I will be changing the nutrient solution and begin monitoring the amount of water the plants are consuming (currently almost exhausted the 4 gallons prepared last sunday!)

As for what I might do with em all I might flower all 5 Lemon Joys and the best looking female and raise her to become a mother. The Exodus Kush and Confidential Cheese should be cloned, one clone moved to flowering to confirm they are females and the rest veg for 2-3 weeks so that they will be ready after the Lemon Joy have finished flowering.

I will be coming up with a few scenarios like this and get a feel for it as the weeks go by. Any reply is appreciated! Thanks

Peace :peace:

No worries buddy!
And yeah, they can drink a fair bit of water thats for sure.. My girl soaks up 10 litres of water like its a mouthful!! So im on a 2 day check and maybe water now. But since her flush other day, im letting her dry some more..
Its always good to have a small plan, some basic guidelines to achieve what you want, and then take it from there as they grow and assess how and which plants you wanna keep.
If you wanna run an idea past me anytime feel free.. IM NO HYDRO EXPERT, but i may be able to assist with basic stuff concerning them ok;) LATER BUDDY! SMOKEMUP;)

I just want to thank everybody for the support. This has been the end of week four and a very educational one at that! I have just flushed my system with 1/2 strength solution of FloraKleen sterilized everything with a h2o2 solution and gave them fresh food

The plants are looking great. Currently got 2 lemons, 1 cheese, and one kush going through LST with paper clips. The other 6 are running free. Might practice some form of pruning on one of the lemon joys such as pinching, toping, or FIMing... got some more research to do first.

I will also have to transplant into bigger pots. Currently Lemon #7 (my biggest one) has outgrown its 4" mesh pot... the roots are starting to stick out.

Here are some picture up to date:

BTW can anyone tell me if they see what I think are 'preflowers'? Thanks

All the best!

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom