When to get ready for outdoor plants

shathaway

I live in southern Vermont - Yah, its legal now.

When should I start plants indoors that are to be moved outdoors?

Also, am I better off leaving in fabric pots or planting in the ground once I move them outside?

Thank you,

Steve

You're legal, lol, start them now and set shrubs out instead of little plants. Just don't set them out so early that the number of hours of uninterrupted darkness causes them to begin flowering, otherwise they'll do that and (probably) revert back to the vegetative growth phase when it gets late enough in the year for the dark-hours to decrease enough.

When should I start plants indoors that are to be moved outdoors?
Depends on how big you want them. You would also need lights for an indoor grow (being as it is Jan) so if you went that route maybe consider a quick indoor grow in the meantime. I started indoors May 1 last summer and I think that was a little early...plants got a little too big and I ended constantly pruning until flower.

Also, am I better off leaving in fabric pots or planting in the ground once I move them outside?
Deciding whether you want pots or the ground is also a question of soil...do you have a healthy outdoor garden plot? I used 30/45 gallon pots but I also 1) make soil and 2) grow in a GH. A lot of growers here do very well in the ground outdoors. I know most local growers target June 1 as the "start date" to avoid frost issues as well.

Depends on how big you want them. You would also need lights for an indoor grow (being as it is Jan) so if you went that route maybe consider a quick indoor grow in the meantime. I started indoors May 1 last summer and I think that was a little early...plants got a little too big and I ended constantly pruning until flower.

Deciding whether you want pots or the ground is also a question of soil...do you have a healthy outdoor garden plot? I used 30/45 gallon pots but I also 1) make soil and 2) grow in a GH. A lot of growers here do very well in the ground outdoors. I know most local growers target June 1 as the "start date" to avoid frost issues as well.

I do have small tent inside I use for autoflowers during winter. Maybe I should ask what the minimum temp and number of sunlight hours should it be before I can bring plants outside?

How big should plants be before they can be brought outside safely.

Soil here sucks, last summer I dug some holes and replaced it with purchased organic soil. I can continue that or use pots, idea behind using pots would be to move if needed because of weather.

Thank you,

Steve

I do have small tent inside I use for autoflowers during winter.
Likewise. I like that I can keep the lighting at 18/6 and rotate in 2x crops.

Maybe I should ask what the minimum temp and number of sunlight hours should it be before I can bring plants outside?
Technically, after last frost and 12+ hours....why a lot of people in my area (44N, Zone 5a) start June 1....it is pretty consistently safe.

How big should plants be before they can be brought outside safely.
Well, seedlings can be started outside so its more about how hardy the plant is...you could easily kill an adult plant if it is not properly hardened to your conditions. It's easier to harden younger plants so if they come out between 2-4 weeks old you should be fine. Not sure of your weather, but let them get slowly adjusted to the lowest temps (usually occurring overnight). Set them in a semi-sheltered spot where they'll get 50-75% of the full weather effect.

Soil here sucks, last summer I dug some holes and replaced it with purchased organic soil. I can continue that or use pots, idea behind using pots would be to move if needed because of weather.
Pots are great and you are in control of the soil. Bigger pots usually yield larger plants, but only go so big as suits your needs (like having to possibly move it). I think 30-gallon is an excellent size for large summer plants...lots of soil, good water retention, movable by 2x people if necessary.

:goodluck:

Likewise. I like that I can keep the lighting at 18/6 and rotate in 2x crops.

Technically, after last frost and 12+ hours....why a lot of people in my area (44N, Zone 5a) start June 1....it is pretty consistently safe.

Well, seedlings can be started outside so its more about how hardy the plant is...you could easily kill an adult plant if it is not properly hardened to your conditions. It's easier to harden younger plants so if they come out between 2-4 weeks old you should be fine. Not sure of your weather, but let them get slowly adjusted to the lowest temps (usually occurring overnight). Set them in a semi-sheltered spot where they'll get 50-75% of the full weather effect.

Pots are great and you are in control of the soil. Bigger pots usually yield larger plants, but only go so big as suits your needs (like having to possibly move it). I think 30-gallon is an excellent size for large summer plants...lots of soil, good water retention, movable by 2x people if necessary.

:goodluck:

Thank you for the info.

Maybe I should ask what the minimum temp and number of sunlight hours should it be before I can bring plants outside?

If your growing season is short, the latter concern will probably resolve itself while you await the former to do so. You can do a web-search for something like {my town} average last frost date - or similar. The better charts will list multiple dates and "confidence percentiles" (might not be the correct technical term). If you live in a two-step town (two steps and you're in the next one ;) ) then you might have to try a few different town names and/or the nearest one to have some residents who aren't actually related to each other, but you ought to be able to come reasonably close.

Such references also sometimes list the last frost date ever (since they started keeping records for the location, at least). That'd generally cover the "once in 100 years" type weather events, with the caveat that one never knows what the future might bring, so even that isn't technically a 100% confidence. Then it's just a question of how confident/lucky you feel, I suppose. Assuming the chart you find lists multiple confidence levels, the 90% one might be a good target for most people.

With, perhaps, a backup plant or two in reserve in case "mother nature" proves that she doesn't know how to read, lol. . . .

Back
Top Bottom