When to up pot?

fatbuds420

What's the best indicator on when to up pot a fem plant?

MY fem has been overtaken reeeallly fast by an auto, could it be that the container is too small?

What about autos? When do I know an auto is ready to go from a starting container to the final pot?

I haven't grown an auto yet, (got some seeds for next season) but as I understand it they grow faster than photoperiod plants due to limited veg time. There are also differences in how fast different strains grow. I would expect a sativa, like any haze strain, to grow faster than, say, Master Kush.
The indicator I used to decide when to up-pot when I started was the leaves. When the leaves get big enough that they extend past the edge of the pot, that's when you start considering a bigger pot.
Another method is looking at how often you have to water the plant. If she's needing to be watered every day, you should up pot.

I haven't grown an auto yet, (got some seeds for next season) but as I understand it they grow faster than photoperiod plants due to limited veg time. There are also differences in how fast different strains grow. I would expect a sativa, like any haze strain, to grow faster than, say, Master Kush.
The indicator I used to decide when to up-pot when I started was the leaves. When the leaves get big enough that they extend past the edge of the pot, that's when you start considering a bigger pot.
Another method is looking at how often you have to water the plant. If she's needing to be watered every day, you should up pot.
Well but what if my pot is very large/deep, that wouldnt be a good. Indicator?

Since the goal of starting out in smaller containers is to restrict the space available so as to develop a dense rootball in that container before moving up, it is all about the strength of the roots. If you can water to saturation and the present sized container takes more than 24-36 hours for the plant to use all of that water, the roots have not yet reached their maximum potential in that container. Think of the container size as a buffer, so that you dont have to stand there every few hours to wet the roots. A container should give you around 3-5 days buffer, but when that buffer goes away because the roots have become so strong, it is time to uppot.

There are several myths out there regarding uppotting. Previously mentioned was the if the leaves extend past the edges of the container... the problem is that some large leaved indicas and long leaved sativas can do this in the 2nd week. Clearly that is not a valid indicator among all varieties. The other popular myth is to transplant as soon as you see roots coming out of the bottom holes. The problem is that sometimes you NEVER see roots randomly pop out of those holes, and sometimes the random factor allows for a tap root to sneak out even during the first week... again, clearly not a valid method for determining when to transplant.

The big myth is that this process will stunt an auto and that it is best to start them in their final container. This belief flies against everything we have learned over the centuries about growing in closed containers... autos are just faster at developing those roots and need to be uppotted sooner than a typical photo plant.

Since the goal of starting out in smaller containers is to restrict the space available so as to develop a dense rootball in that container before moving up, it is all about the strength of the roots. If you can water to saturation and the present sized container takes more than 24-36 hours for the plant to use all of that water, the roots have not yet reached their maximum potential in that container. Think of the container size as a buffer, so that you dont have to stand there every few hours to wet the roots. A container should give you around 3-5 days buffer, but when that buffer goes away because the roots have become so strong, it is time to uppot.

There are several myths out there regarding uppotting. Previously mentioned was the if the leaves extend past the edges of the container... the problem is that some large leaved indicas and long leaved sativas can do this in the 2nd week. Clearly that is not a valid indicator among all varieties. The other popular myth is to transplant as soon as you see roots coming out of the bottom holes. The problem is that sometimes you NEVER see roots randomly pop out of those holes, and sometimes the random factor allows for a tap root to sneak out even during the first week... again, clearly not a valid method for determining when to transplant.

The big myth is that this process will stunt an auto and that it is best to start them in their final container. This belief flies against everything we have learned over the centuries about growing in closed containers... autos are just faster at developing those roots and need to be uppotted sooner than a typical photo plant.
I see, I'm just scared because I don't wanna lose any "growing days" as flowering season is approaching and my plant is still kinda small. So any day I will lose. Will be a big issue. I see you're growing outdoors too, how much does one plant usually yield, say, in a 15l container? With just normal fertiliser and topping and Lst nothing too fancy. Just to get a rough idea.

I see, I'm just scared because I don't wanna lose any "growing days" as flowering season is approaching and my plant is still kinda small. So any day I will lose. Will be a big issue. I see you're growing outdoors too, how much does one plant usually yield, say, in a 15l container? With just normal fertiliser and topping and Lst nothing too fancy. Just to get a rough idea.
I don't see how you could lose a growing day... if you are referring to uppotting necessarily stressing an auto and losing time, you are believing a myth. There is no reason under the sun why carefully uppotting a plant is going to cause any stress whatsoever. First, that plant has been carefully monitored for the perfect time to transplant and second, you are not going to do like my father does and rip up the roots, quartering them and intentionally causing stress, you are simply going to place the rootball down in a hole made just for it. You will get a growth spurt the next day... not stunting. By talking about the "big issue" it sounds like you are reading from the myth itself... that autos are somehow not able to be transplanted. Besides... a day is not a big deal... I lose days every now and then... life goes on.

This is my first outdoor attempt in a semi controlled location... my earlier attempts were gorilla grows and not maintained very well. So I really cant tell you what to expect... and it will depend on a lot of things other than what a plant will usually yield... usually doesn't always work out. With the shortened grow season of an auto, anything over 3 gallons outdoors is probably fine... its not like they will have time to grow into a 7 gallon container in the time they have... even outside. I could be wrong... like I said, I am not experienced outside nor with autos... but I would think there is a practical limit somewhere. It depends on when you start them too... my little plant got a late start and now will be racing to get done before the first snows hit of a predicted early and harsh winter. I could have started it indoors under strong 20/4 light and then placed it outside as soon as it stopped freezing overnight... I could see getting 2 or 3 waves of autos out of the outside garden by doing that. Yield is oftentimes the result of brute force and lots of plants, not risking the luck of the draw with one or two plants. Good luck! I hope you get a half pound out of it... me too!

I don't see how you could lose a growing day... if you are referring to uppotting necessarily stressing an auto and losing time, you are believing a myth. There is no reason under the sun why carefully uppotting a plant is going to cause any stress whatsoever. First, that plant has been carefully monitored for the perfect time to transplant and second, you are not going to do like my father does and rip up the roots, quartering them and intentionally causing stress, you are simply going to place the rootball down in a hole made just for it. You will get a growth spurt the next day... not stunting. By talking about the "big issue" it sounds like you are reading from the myth itself... that autos are somehow not able to be transplanted. Besides... a day is not a big deal... I lose days every now and then... life goes on.

This is my first outdoor attempt in a semi controlled location... my earlier attempts were gorilla grows and not maintained very well. So I really cant tell you what to expect... and it will depend on a lot of things other than what a plant will usually yield... usually doesn't always work out. With the shortened grow season of an auto, anything over 3 gallons outdoors is probably fine... its not like they will have time to grow into a 7 gallon container in the time they have... even outside. I could be wrong... like I said, I am not experienced outside nor with autos... but I would think there is a practical limit somewhere. It depends on when you start them too... my little plant got a late start and now will be racing to get done before the first snows hit of a predicted early and harsh winter. I could have started it indoors under strong 20/4 light and then placed it outside as soon as it stopped freezing overnight... I could see getting 2 or 3 waves of autos out of the outside garden by doing that. Yield is oftentimes the result of brute force and lots of plants, not risking the luck of the draw with one or two plants. Good luck! I hope you get a half pound out of it... me too!
i see, so same for my autos, when they drink in 24-36 up pot! got it.

what's your take on reusing soil, is it ok?

Well but what if my pot is very large/deep, that wouldnt be a good. Indicator?
The bigger the container the longer it takes for the plants to need to be transplanted, but you're right, the older the plant the less the reach of the leaves applies. That's why you can grow a 2m tall plant in a 5 or 7 gallon pot. The leaves will reach way past the edge, but that won't necessarily mean anything when it comes to the root system. The bigger the final pot the better, though.
Deeper pots are actually a bit better for the plant as it sends down a taproot, but they are easier to blow over in inclement weather (I speak from experience with both cannabis and hot peppers).
@Emilya is right about transplanting autos, with one caveat: the skill of the grower. If you can transplant a plant without causing shock/damaging the roots you're good to go. If you're a new grower, you should practice transplanting with something else until you're pretty good at it. I know that doesn't really help you right now, but for future grows it should help.

Back
Top Bottom