Where to place sticker fly traps?

hazeluv69

So I’ve noticed some thrips , small and flying so I’m just wondering where to place store bought window sticker fly traps in my grow room? Like where would be the best/ideal location? On the walls or on a stick?

Sticky traps are not going to get rid of the pests. A few maybe and they gas off as they dry and the gas off chemicals stick to your plants if you put them under the plants.

Best to get an IPM regimen going and actually spray your plants with organic product like spinosad. A fan works great too but your thrips are going to be munching on your plants. That wont be a happy place and they multiply. Sticky traps wont really help here.

Sticky traps are not going to get rid of the pests. A few maybe and they gas off as they dry and the gas off chemicals stick to your plants if you put them under the plants.

Best to get an IPM regimen going and actually spray your plants with organic product like spinosad. A fan works great too but your thrips are going to be munching on your plants. That wont be a happy place and they multiply. Sticky traps wont really help here.
I understand but if I am still going to place my sticky traps for a week or so, is there an ideal place to put them or? Just want to catch a few of them little flies to be certain & I am using a homemade oily soapy water mixture which I sprayed at lights off yesterday.

Also I have a product which contains cypermethrin, is that not good or? It is a pest shield all purpose bug killer - for use on plants and vegetables ?

I understand but if I am still going to place my sticky traps for a week or so, is there an ideal place to put them or? Just want to catch a few of them little flies to be certain & I am using a homemade oily soapy water mixture which I sprayed at lights off yesterday.
I put mine ground level, away from the breeze of the fan. The idea (for me) is that the bugs hang out where the fan isn’t very strong, and so those little “safe” areas are a perfect place for them to go get glued down forever. But yes, do watch out for plants sticking to the boards, it’s very discouraging to peel them off if they fall into them.

Stick them up around the edges where your fan is blowing towards. Bugs fly into the air then into the trap.
I put mine ground level, away from the breeze of the fan. The idea (for me) is that the bugs hang out where the fan isn’t very strong, and so those little “safe” areas are a perfect place for them to go get glued down forever. But yes, do watch out for plants sticking to the boards, it’s very discouraging to peel them off if they fall into them.
Thank you both I have a few of them so I’ll try both of the techniques!!

Also I have a product which contains cypermethrin, is that not good or? It is a pest shield all purpose bug killer - for use on plants and vegetables ?

Thats a no go for me on cannabis. I've used Pyrethrin as its organic. Be careful and do some googling on those type of products for use on plants we are going to smoke or ingest.

Thrips aren't that tough to get rid of. A fan and your soapy oil should do the trick.

Thats a no go for me on cannabis. I've used Pyrethrin as its organic. Be careful and do some googling on those type of products for use on plants we are going to smoke or ingest.

Thrips aren't that tough to get rid of. A fan and your soapy oil should do the trick.

okay will keep that away from the plants, I was thinking twice someone else purchased it for me, who didn’t have much knowledge lol! But yes stick with the soapy water thanks

okay will keep that away from the plants, I was thinking twice someone else purchased it for me, who didn’t have much knowledge lol! But yes stick with the soapy water thanks
Definitely wait on using the synthetic pyrethrin products if you can do it naturally instead. Keep it around for if your problem ends up being worse than you think. Some things take too long to die naturally ;)

How's it going Hazeluv? You are in veg, right? The main thing is to not let up on the spraying. Thrips will only die on contact but by day three more will be emerging so they must die also and so on until the cycle is broken. I also take the plants out of the tent and spray everything inside the tent with undiluted rubbing alcohol every few weeks. I hate thrips! Not sure what good the alcohol spray does but it makes me feel better. If you can get spinosad that is supposed to be very good but hard for me to get here in Canada.

As you can see from the brittle leaves thrips can destroy your plant but once they are under control your plants will be fine. Hopefully they'll be gone by flip but even in flower they won't cause too many problems if under control, but spraying gets tedious. You can also alternate with h2o2 and I think peppermint essential oil added to water. Pyrethrin (End-All) is fairly safe in veg as well but is a choice. Stick with your oily soapy water or Safers Insecticidal Soap as long as it's working.

After spraying are you still seeing living thrips?

Some of the best solutions are the simplest.

I try and steer clear of chemical fertilizers and chemical pesticides. I don't trust the companies that make that stuff. All they want is my money.

How's it going Hazeluv? You are in veg, right? The main thing is to not let up on the spraying. Thrips will only die on contact but by day three more will be emerging so they must die also and so on until the cycle is broken. I also take the plants out of the tent and spray everything inside the tent with undiluted rubbing alcohol every few weeks. I hate thrips! Not sure what good the alcohol spray does but it makes me feel better. If you can get spinosad that is supposed to be very good but hard for me to get here in Canada.

As you can see from the brittle leaves thrips can destroy your plant but once they are under control your plants will be fine. Hopefully they'll be gone by flip but even in flower they won't cause too many problems if under control, but spraying gets tedious. You can also alternate with h2o2 and I think peppermint essential oil added to water. Pyrethrin (End-All) is fairly safe in veg as well but is a choice. Stick with your oily soapy water or Safers Insecticidal Soap as long as it's working.

After spraying are you still seeing living thrips?

thanks and yes I’m hoping they are rid by flip! & I have used the spray when it was lights off and the start of lights on, it does seem that I can’t see them but I have noticed some, maybe I did not spray enough or correctly , I am going to repeat applications, is it okay to do it every single day or?

Yes, every day is ok and may be necessary for two or three days. It's hard to get them all at first but that's ok. Cut off as many of the leaves with silvery stuff on them as you can get away with. In veg you can defoliate safely within reason. Also, keep area around tent clean and tidy. In a few days it will be much better. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom