Pest flying around soil: Thrips?

ilikebike

hey guys i have been noticing small little bugs flying around my plants that are in veg tent. You only see them when you move the pots around or water them, they get disturbed and start flying around. Im not good at identifying pest, not sure how they would have gotten in, because we dont notice them in the other room, just this room, i was thinking they could have been fungus gnats but im not sure, i have been spraying with this green light pesticide i got at lowes, it contains neem oil, but The problem persist, Any one have any thoughts,?

Thrips

Prevent: Keeping clean habits is the only defense against a thrip infestation. These tiny insects will go unnoticed even by the most cautious grower until they reach damaging levels.
Identify: The thrip is commonly a greenhouse pest. It is difficult for the thrip to reproduce in large quantities outdoors and they must hitchhike into indoor gardens. These little guys are TINY! Thrips can be almost any color, move very quickly and have wings. They can be hard to see individually however detection should not be difficult. Thrips have a tendency to move in herds together, ripping tiny strips off the top of your leaves and drinking juices below. This can deprive plants leaves of chlorophyll so thoroughly they become brittle, dark, and crumble. Tiny black lines present across leaf surface, thats their toilet. The flying thrip can easily infest your garden very quickly if protected from outdoor conditions. The female thrip bores a hole into plant matter and leaves her eggs there in a hole so small you will need a magnifying glass to even know it is there. Apologies, I've been saving the worst for last. In marijuana the thrip prefers to thrive, eat, shit and reproduce primarily inside buds. Shaking branches will send these pests flying and jumping for other places.

Eradicate
Repression: Forced air circulation using powerful enough fans to move air throughout your greenhouse or growroom can keep the thrip from being able to hang on or move. Regular misting of water will flood the thrips on the leaves and slow their travel, reproduction, and ability to damage your plant. Sticky traps will help, however the thrip is happy eating in the same area for its entire life cycle. Low migration reduces effectiveness of sticky traps.
Predators: Nearly any predatory mite is effective in combating thrips. Parasitic wasps may also be used, however the sheer numbers of thrips limits their ability.
Manual Removal: You might be able to see herds of the tiny specks moving around your plant, crushing these will reduce their numbers of course but is not effective overall.
Spray: Pyrethrum or insecticidal soap sprayed 2-4 times at 5-10 day intervals will nuke thrips back to the stone age.

Sounds more like fungus gnats....there horrible fliers and usually will disperse when you move around your pots/foliage.... I put some good advice on your grow journal on how to deal with fungus gnats...stay persistant...these little buggers spread fast!!

mosquito dunks you should be able to find at local hydro store, possibly hardware store, and home and garden store....

get yellow sticky cards and put them everywhere...especially lay some on your soil...

get some azamax or azatrol and treat the soil 2-3 times in a month....

crumple up mosquito dunks and put on soil, as well as in waterings...

let soil dry between waterings...fungus gnats love moist organic soil...

take a spoon and gently pull back the top 1" of your soil....look closely to see if you see tiny magot looking worms/larvae...there tiny...about the width of a thread and white/clear....if you have a lot of them, your roots are already being devoured...so you need to attack them back quickly...

I found that a clothes steamer works good to kill the larvae quick...very time consuming but if you steam the top 1" of your soil, it will kill a good amount of them quickly...roasted fungus gnat anyone? lol

I also found that a mix of neem/peppermint tea/tobacco tea/hot sauce seems to keep them away and reduce the amount of them around your pots...don't spray your plants, just the pots and soil....smells horrible though...

You can use DE or diotomacious earth which is like razor wire for these little larvae...sprinkle some on your soil and they will cut themselfs up crawling thru it...

I killed my gnats with Dawn soap.

What I do is wait till the soil is dry about 2'' down in the soil.The spray the soil all around with my spray bottle full of Dawn soapy water.

When I mix my bottle I just put enough till I see some light blue in the water, then get to spraying.

SNS 203 Soil Drench Spray | Sierra Natural Science

SNS-203™ Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench and Foliage Spray is made up of pure Rosemary and Clove botanical extracts. The botanicals are all food grade GRAS (generally recognized as safe) materials. SNS-203™ Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench is exempt from EPA registration under minimum risk pesticides exempted under FIFRA section 25(b).

SNS-203™ Kills and Repels Fungus Gnats, Root Aphids, Thrips, Shore Flies and White Flies.
How It Works

High moisture levels in soils and around pots encourage the development of fungus gnats, shore flies and other pests.
Fungus gnats will feed on fungi and decaying organic material in the soil. If a fungal food source is not readily available, fungus gnats may feed directly on plants. During the propagation of cuttings, fungus gnats may feed upon the callus. This may slow down or completely inhibit rooting. They can also damage the roots as they feed upon seedlings and potted plants. On many thick and succulent stemmed plants, larvae may tunnel into stems and cause plants to wilt and die. Larval feeding upon young roots encourages the development of root and stem rots such as Pythium. When this occurs, plants will be stunted with reduced growth and leaf drop.
Shore flies feed upon algae and do not directly feed upon plants. However, their frass (droppings) on plants, in addition to their presence, may be objectionable to customers and may carry other diseases.
SNS-203™ Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench active ingredients, attack fungus and algae and cause the pests to dehydrate their body fluids and dry up.
When used as a foliage spray SNS-203™ will control and eliminate Greenhouse Thrips, Fungus Gnats, Root Aphids, White Flies and Shore Flies.

Our Product has been tested in our lab on delicate new growth, clones, cuttings, tomatoes, roses and other plants.
Uses

SNS-203™ Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench can be used on a wide variety of plants, vegetables, and even trees. When applying the product take caution not to apply to any buds on the plant, in doing so this could result in burning the buds. SNS-203™ can be applied to soil or sprayed on fruits, vegetables, and plants varying from; apples, apricots, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cherries, chives, corn, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, parsley, fuchsia, roses, flowers, houseplants, etc.

SNS-203™ Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench is fully bio-degradable and is non-toxic to animals.
Directions for use

Test drench or spray for Phytotoxicity on a small area of the soil or plant before use. Do not apply in direct sunlight or under grow lamps, let plants cool off before applying SNS-203.
Soil Drench: Shake well before mixing. Mix 2-4oz of SNS-203™ per one (1) gallon of water to make ready-to-use (RTU) drench solution. Thoroughly drench affected and surrounding area with RTU. Reapply drench if necessary.
Foliage Spray: Shake well before mixing. Mix 2-6oz of SNS-203™ per one (1) gallon of water to make ready-to-use (RTU) spray solution. Spray foliage to point of runoff.
Repeat application 5 to 7 day intervals or as needed.
Thorough uniform coverage of plant soil or plant surface i.e. essential for good pest control.
Thoroughly wash all food areas and food materials contacted with soap and water.
As with any natural oil based product Do Not Spray directly under Sunlight or Grow lights this could damage to the plant..
Active Ingredients
Clove Oil 1.5%
Rosemary Oil 0.53%
Other Ingredients 97.97%
Available in two sizes
16 ounce concentrate makes up to 8 gallons
1 gallon concentrate makes up to 64 gallons

SNS 203 Soil Drench Spray | Sierra Natural Science

in a soil garden gnats are hardly a problem. They don't feed on the plant and the only reason they are there is to lay their eggs in the soil. They love damp organic soil to lay their eggs in. The babies when they hatch will feed on small feeder roots in the soil so large amounts of them could cause problems. I have them usually every grow on and off. The way I control them is Neem Oil and dish soap poured on the soil. The mix of Neem and soap will smoother the eggs and not let them hatch. You should see them disapear in 2-3 days. I've heard stories of larger amounts of the flying adults sticking to resin packed buds but other than having the annoying task of picking them off they do no harm.

those gnats get faster each generation. first couple gen you can smash them with a paper towel, a few weeks later they fly off with any movement on your part. they live in soil but also in drains. pour boiling water down your drains every week, it will off them and clean your drains as well. cedar chips, sand, or fine gravel on the surface of soil. leave spiders alone and they will eat them, no pest strips work.
i had lots of small spiders move in when i was infested. they feasted on the flies, then left. j

The life cycle of thrips

thrips.jpg

thrips-in-stages2.jpg

The thrips can be a big bother, I've had great luck in the past spraying neem, last round azamax got rid of them for s long time, it wasn't until I brought in a contaminated bag of coir and or perlite from a local shop that im having to deal with them again.
Microbe life or plus? I can't remember but I used a few drops per gallon of this stuff to kill of mosquito larvae and havent seen a single fungus gnat since. Now that I mentioned it im bound to see some tonight lmao "knock on wood!"

Back
Top Bottom