Which and how many lights?

mic54

Good morning everyone,being a virgin grower, I need some advice.I have got 16 plants given to me in a hurry!
I have looked for lights and have chosen CFL 250watt Blue6400K/Re3d2700K.How many of these will I need for my area 12ft X6ft?

Re: Which and how many lights ?

Alot, imo you'd be better off making your space smaller and using a 600w hps setup.

Ps

If you still wish to use 250w cfl's to fill a 12ft x 6ft room: The answer is 12 because they'll only cover roughly about a 60cm x 60cm m2 space each, don't do it is my opinion...

I would have to agree with ThatBoyDean 250wcfl will aprox cover a 60cm by 60cm area., i use a 125w cfl 6400k in the same space for vegging only.

I can not comment on 2700k cfls tho but the bigger the bulb in wattage the better :peace:

Alternatively a T5 lighting sytem 120cm/4' tubes may be of advantage for vegging it will more than likely shave a few hundred watts off so many cfls.

You may also look into HPS for flowering they will cover a larger area e.g 600w hps will cover 100cm by 100cm area, 1000w hps will cover 120cm by 120cm area comfortable.

To save on space you may wish to look into grow styles e.g SOG aka sea of green lots of smaller plants in a smaller area e.g 1 plant per square foot on average or a smaller bush type plant every 45cm square area etc this will help decide on final lighting solution for grow area :thumb:

Thanks for your advice but I am still not sure.Perhaps if I ask what size room I need for 16 plants and which lighting to use I might not be so confused.Is it the case that the CFL lights are more energy efficient and give off less heat ? Here in the UK I have only found 250 watt cfl but I presume they do come with a larger wattage.I can easily reduce the growing room size.

You can get 300w cfls if you shop around, but beware of unbranded cheap imports !!!

Maxibright cfls are quite common brand in the UK & pretty alright bulbs :thumb:

001811.JPG

Unfortunaly the gaint cfls E40 bayonet fitting are watt for watt, if its says 250w on the packet its going to use bang on near 250ws of electicity, i've emailed a couple of companys for those details and was most dissapointed with results, but 6400k certianly do the job for vegging & damn slight cheaper than MH (metal halide) to run.

Anyway space is often limited to plant size !

Which can range froms 3' indica to 9' monster sativa plant if grown from seed :thumb:

Clones don't nearly stretch as much as the plant grown from seed & you can have a girlie of 18'' to 24'' with a good yield, size of plant is dependant on how long you wish to veg for ! also may varie from one strain to another.

I remember one journal some chap grew 49 plants in a 120cm by 120cm squared area in 1 litre airpots if my memory is correct under a 1000w HPS SOG style.

You can can get 16 plants in same area or slightly larger 150cm by 150cm area.

The best bet is to view some of the popular journals to help decide & see what others do :peace:

Choosen a grow system yet ? NFT, ebb & flood, organic soil grows, hempy bucket, wilma drip system ???

Back
Top Bottom