White Widow Auto RDWC

AspenCultivator

Hi there, and welcome to my second cannabis grow! I chose to go with an Auto White Widow this time, for no particular reason. For this grow, I'll be using the following equipment:

Tent: Mars Hydro 27"x27"x63"
Ventilation: iPower 4" filter and fan, with controller, Lasko Curve 5 speed fan, 6" clip-on fan
Lights: Horticulture Lighting Group - 135 Quantum Board and 100 Quantum Board
Nutes: GH Flora Series with Botanicare's Cal-Mag, Hydroguard and Flying Skull's Z7

This is being grown hydroponically, in a recirculating 7 gallon system. The system can have 10 gallons in it, but I only run at 7 gallons. I also run my water pump in-line, to keep my already-high res temps down. The combination of the Hydroguard and the Z7 allowed me to run at 80*f last run, so I'll be doing the same again. At least until she's got a canopy, then res temps fell.

I'm also adding a brand new light to this grow. I purchased an HLG 100 quantum board w/ 3000K. The last grow I got just under a gram per watt at 128 watts from the wall, so this grow I'm hoping to increase my final yield by increasing my total watts from the wall to 223. That's the theory, anyway.

I started germ last Saturday, and she popped 36 hours later. She's been in the system for 24 hours now, with the light at 36" above the top of the lid.

Things are moving right along, with her popping above the rapid rooter yesterday and she's gotten bigger today, which is nice to see. My 100w QB came in as well, so I've got it all set up but I won't actually be running it for a few more days, until she's bigger/stronger. Once I see the second true leaves coming in she'll get a water change with week 1 of the chart I'm attaching. I'll be starting at 1/4 strength, and somewhere in the middle of flower I'll start exploring moving towards half strength. I read somewhere that autos don't require as many nutes (or, they're more sensitive) so maybe she'll never need to go to half strength, but we'll see.

Does anyone think I've got 'too' much light in this small tent? Can it hurt anything?

Here's how I'm handling humidity in the middle of veg. It's a NodeMCU ESP8266 WiFi board with a DHT22 temp/humidity sensor plugged into it. It's currently communicating with a raspberry pi (mini linux motherboard) which is running Hass.IO as an OS image. Once I set up the automation, it'll turn my exhaust fan on (wifi smart plug) when humidity gets above a set number, and turn off once it gets below another number. It worked really well during my last grow, so I've got it set up again for this one. This time, I can use it the entire grow as this is a dedicated Pi for this garden. I plan on implementing some other sensors too, to collect more data and automate more things.

Issues already, it would seem. When I moved the seed into the rapid rooter last Monday (7 days ago) I do believe I was a little premature. The tap root wasn't very big, and it was very curved in the wrong direction. So, I let it go a day in the rapid rooter, then opened it up and readjusted the little tike. In doing so, the tap root broke at the tip. I figured meh, it doesn't matter.

It matters. That pic above is day 9 from seed (started two Saturdays ago) and she's super tiny. Very stunted. I have no sign of roots, and the cotyledons are very hard. Not soft, and plant-like. They're hard, and feel like plastic. The second node is coming in, and the first has barely gone anywhere. There's some yellowing going on as well, even though she's on zero nutes.

Here's a pic of my last grow at just day 7 from seed. This is two days younger than the pic above.

So, my question is this: Do I throw this little one away and start over? If it were a photo plant of course I'd try to weather the storm and hold on. But since this is an auto, I'm on a constantly ticking clock. If she's stunted this early and doesn't have time in veg, what's the point of going through flower for an ounce or less? Anyone think I should toss her and start over?

I pulled it. :bongrip:

I've got another White Widow in some damp paper towels, and am going again. I'll be back in another week with some happier results!

Hey, it's another learning experience. So, what happened? I became impatient, and as soon as I saw the tap root emerge I planted into the Rapid Rooter. The tap pointed down, but curled up. I attempted to straighten the tap root, which broke it. Yikes. Hence, she's stunting, and being weird, and being pulled. Live and learn. Lesson: Don't put into system until she's almost fully emerged from her shell. Just like the last time.

Looking better. Put her in a rapid rooter and set up the system again. I won't be checking on the rapid rooter this time, so I mounded up the hydroton to prevent any growth on the surface. Be back in a few days with some progress.

Man, I had some bad luck germinating stuff this time. That seed above ^^ died as well. I pulled the rapid rooter apart and again the tap root became severed, and the growth withered away. So, for the third and final time, I simply placed the seed pointy-end down in the rapid rooter and placed a towel over the top. I kept the lights on at 24h to provide the heat, and it took 48 hours for the seedling to arrive.

Shortly after that, I switched the water and provided it's first dose of nutes. Insanely light calmag, hydroguard, and Z7. I waited a week, and also traveled away for a bit.

When I came back, I finally had something to work with. She was showing signs of being hungry, which is good. I dumped the water again and added week 1 of a chart I've been following. That was 2 days ago, and the pic is from today.

Finally things are on track, and away we go.

Day 10

PH: 6.0
EC: 0.8
WT: 80f

Things are still moving along nicely. I feel like this one is growing at a faster rate than the last one. I can't believe I can see growth tips already! It's day freaking 10! That's cool. I also think it's cool that you can visibly see when she started asking for nutes based on the discoloration at the tips of the fans. Now that she's grown for a few days, the new growth coming in is lush and green and looks perfect.

I'm expecting a package in the next few days, which will allow me to create a water level sensor for my reservoir. I plan on hooking it up to a wifi module and making it talk to my home automation stuff. I'm also planning on hanging a 7" tablet on the wall next to my tent, so I can see my water level, temps, humidity, and controls. A wifi power monitoring switch is on the way too, so I will be able to track and log my garden's entire energy usage, down to the cent. Pretty cool.

Roots! Awesome! And pearly white, so we're looking good so far.

A question for anyone: would I do any harm in turning on my second light? Right now I'm running the HLG 135 at around 25" from the top. I have an HLG 100, and am thinking I can turn it on now, since she's established some decent growth. Any opinions?

I'm expecting a package in the next few days, which will allow me to create a water level sensor for my reservoir. I plan on hooking it up to a wifi module and making it talk to my home automation stuff. I'm also planning on hanging a 7" tablet on the wall next to my tent, so I can see my water level, temps, humidity, and controls. A wifi power monitoring switch is on the way too, so I will be able to track and log my garden's entire energy usage, down to the cent. Pretty cool.

That'd be nice.

BtW, who's the breeder of your version of White Widow Auto?

Day 15

EC: 1.2
WT: 83f
PH: 6.1

Cruising along nicely. Not much to update other than she got a water change on Saturday with week 2's nute doses. She's showing signs of being strong and healthy, so that's great.

The water level sensor worked for about 24 hours before the sensor gave in. Instead of placing the sensor in the bucket to measure the readings, I drilled two holes and actually offset it above the tank lid by about half an inch. The theory was to stop water from condensing on the sensor's electronic board, but it looks like that happened anyway. The sensor isn't reporting any readings, and the voltages are reading strange. So, if I'm going to do the same thing, I'll need to waterproof the sensor or come up with a better plan.

As for the plant, she's on cruise control until next monday. I'll be topping her and performing some light LST, and that's it.

Day 10

PH: 6.0
EC: 0.8
WT: 80f

Things are still moving along nicely. I feel like this one is growing at a faster rate than the last one. I can't believe I can see growth tips already! It's day freaking 10! That's cool. I also think it's cool that you can visibly see when she started asking for nutes based on the discoloration at the tips of the fans. Now that she's grown for a few days, the new growth coming in is lush and green and looks perfect.

Roots! Awesome! And pearly white, so we're looking good so far.

A question for anyone: would I do any harm in turning on my second light? Right now I'm running the HLG 135 at around 25" from the top. I have an HLG 100, and am thinking I can turn it on now, since she's established some decent growth. Any opinions?
Nice root starting watch before u no it there be a bucket full

Day 19

EC: 1.4
WT: 79f
PH: 5.8

Smooth sailing over the last few days. I really enjoy how dialed in this system is. I only open the tent once a day to peek at the leaf color and development, then I close it. There really isn't much to update during this stage, other than she's doubling in size every day it seems like. PH has been falling by .1 the last few days so she also got a water change today with Week 3's nutes.

I decided to go ahead and top her today, which will be the only time that happens. Did a little LST on one growth tip. The two mains I'll be laying down once they're a bit bigger, maybe 2 days. Did a fair bit of leaf tucking, which really brought out the growth tips towards the bottom. I did snip off the first node, because it's just very small and weak looking.

Lastly, my lights have been around 32" this whole time, and I moved them down to 25".

Day 19

EC: 1.4
WT: 79f
PH: 5.8

Smooth sailing over the last few days. I really enjoy how dialed in this system is. I only open the tent once a day to peek at the leaf color and development, then I close it. There really isn't much to update during this stage, other than she's doubling in size every day it seems like. PH has been falling by .1 the last few days so she also got a water change today with Week 3's nutes.

I decided to go ahead and top her today, which will be the only time that happens. Did a little LST on one growth tip. The two mains I'll be laying down once they're a bit bigger, maybe 2 days. Did a fair bit of leaf tucking, which really brought out the growth tips towards the bottom. I did snip off the first node, because it's just very small and weak looking.

Lastly, my lights have been around 32" this whole time, and I moved them down to 25".

Ph is dropping cause your nutes are too strong mate. Dial them back to 0.6 plus your water and it should rise at 0.1 per day. Gives you the full week without needing to adjust. Start at 5.7 and it will be 6.4 on res change day :)

What is the brown tube for? It looks like it comes out the bottom of your net pot.

Also net pot size is bigger better? What do you think.

Thanks BL

Hey BL thanks for coming in. The brown tube is a water lifter. My air pump has two outlets, so in the beginning before roots touch the waters surface, I use one air stone and the other line I connect to the air lift. It pushes air down the tube, which forces water to come up. There's a drip ring buried in the clay pebbles around the base of the rapid rooter. This makes it so I don't have to hand water for the first few weeks. Now that the roots are in the water, I've disconnected it and put in my second air stone.

Ph is dropping cause your nutes are too strong mate. Dial them back to 0.6 plus your water and it should rise at 0.1 per day. Gives you the full week without needing to adjust. Start at 5.7 and it will be 6.4 on res change day :)

I did end up taking 1 gallon out and replacing with fresh ph water. PH is still falling, although not as fast this time. You're right tho, nutes are too strong, even now. When I get home from work this afternoon I'll probably do a half water change. Thanks for that, Barney! I appreciate you all coming in.

Hey BL thanks for coming in. The brown tube is a water lifter. My air pump has two outlets, so in the beginning before roots touch the waters surface, I use one air stone and the other line I connect to the air lift. It pushes air down the tube, which forces water to come up. There's a drip ring buried in the clay pebbles around the base of the rapid rooter. This makes it so I don't have to hand water for the first few weeks. Now that the roots are in the water, I've disconnected it and put in my second air stone.

It's the same idea as an aquarium filter. I like it, as it's an elegant solution.

No worries mate. Feel free to tag me if you ever have any questions. Always happy to help out a fellow hydro head.
0.6 should be the magic number for the next week or 2. Once the roots expand a bit they'll need a little more.
Just go up 0.2 at a time. Saves any dramas and saves lots and lots of nutes :)

No worries mate. Feel free to tag me if you ever have any questions. Always happy to help out a fellow hydro head.
0.6 should be the magic number for the next week or 2. Once the roots expand a bit they'll need a little more.
Just go up 0.2 at a time. Saves any dramas and saves lots and lots of nutes :)

Absolutely man and I appreciate that! In your experience, do autos not need as many nutes as a photo plant? I'm using a hydro Flora Trio chart straight from Gen Hydro, and I'm using 1/4 of their recommended doses. My last grow (photo plant, which is my first grow) used this same chart without these ph falling issues. Maybe it just needs less?

Back
Top Bottom