Spring Sippin' With MEVOOP, Bubba Kush & Amnesia Lemon

AspenCultivator

Hello and Welcome to my new grow journal! The previous cycle was successfully harvested just two days ago, which is when I dropped 3 seeds in RO water for 24 hours. But before that, let's get all the details out of the way. This is my third time growing cannabis and I'm still learning everything I can, so I happily encourage anyone and everyone to hop in and out at any time. Feel free to post pictures, links, concerns, questions, comments, anything that comes to mind.

Equipment:
Tent: 3' x 3' (For now...)
Light: ViparSpectra KS2500
Exhaust: Vivosun 4" Exhaust Fan with carbon filter
x2 ACI Clip on Fans
Generic humidifier
Nutes: Fox Farms Dirty Dozen + CalMag
Soil: FF Happy Frog with 40% perlite and mycos
Containers: DIY 5 Gallon SIP

I'll be growing 3 different strains, all from Barney's Farm:

Amnesia Lemon

"Barney’s Farm’s Amnesia Lemon, part of a collaboration with Soma, is a remarkable cannabis strain that combines the two legends of her namesake: Amnesia Haze and Lemon Skunk. Her highly potent, exquisite taste and complex aromas coupled with 20% THC and reliable yields of 500g/m², make Amnesia Lemon an experience you won’t soon forget."

Bubba Kush

"Bubba Kush has been a household name for the last quarter of a century. Smokers love this weed for her blissfully relaxing high that crushes anxiety and banishes depression. At the same time, your body will feel like it’s practically dissolving as every muscle relaxes. Indica enthusiasts will also appreciate the unalloyed Afghani flavors – hashy, spicey, and sweet like some sugary treat from the East."

Mimosa Evo x Orange Punch

"With an impressive citrusy orange pungency, the Mimosa X Orange Punch super strain drives a hard bargain! Along with improved grow times below 60 days and indoor heights as low as 70cm (27.5”), this cannabis strain also produces the most luxurious, ultra-dense buds, whose THC levels test at a whopping 30%! Put your feet up and puff away on a delicious candy orange, mimosa-esque smoke for a friendly euphoria that will instantly dry your tears."

Now that sounds like a fantastic lineup, right?!? I'm super stoked to be giving these great strains a shot, and based on the success of my previous SIP grow, I've got some pretty high hopes on these 3.

Where We Are Now

I only have 1 seed for each strain, so all 3 seeds were dropped into RO water in separate cups for 24 hours. After 24 hours, all 3 were cracked open, and into a paper towel soaked with water they went. Put them in their own bags and set them on a heat mat for 24 hours. Took a look on Monday (two days ago) and all 3 had tap roots showing! Great signs.

All 3 were dropped into solo-sip cups that had been 'primed' with moisture a few hours beforehand. This just means I soaked the cups from the bottom to establish a moisture gradient before the seeds were dropped in.

20230501_195337.jpg

(Thanks for the tip @Azimuth on inclining the perlite/soil line. Makes sense to have the soil a little lower in these little sips, so as to soak up moisture easier).

After planting the seed (with tweezers, tap root down of course!) and filling in the hole they got around 3ml of water dropped on top to seal 'em up. Two days later, we have this:

20230503_102144.jpg

20230503_103030.jpg

20230503_103057.jpg

20230503_103145.jpg

Yayyy babies! All 3 are up and above ground, so we're officially on day 1 of this new grow!

There were a lot of lessons learned that I'm going to apply to this grow, so I'm hoping everything continues to go smooth and we see what happens! Thanks for stopping by, and remember: anyone can jump in and out at any time! I really enjoy putting my journal posts together and if even 1 person reads it, that's enough for me!

During the last grow I updated a handful of times a week, and I'll probably continue to do the same. Thanks again for coming in!

Welcome Mel!

I'll check in every once in a while. I can't do any growing, so I'm excited just to watch your girls grow up! I hope you don't mind.

Glad to have you Stargazer! The more the merrier I always say!

:welcome:

Sounds like a good time Aspen! :green_heart:

Hey Stone, welcome in!

You know I’m in ✊🏽

Hey Lootz, thanks for coming in!

Game on! Congrats on the new sprouts.

Be sure to post a link back here over in the SIP Club thread as I'm sure there's a bunch of growers over there that would like to follow along. Also post periodic updates over there as well.

Hey everyone! Everything is looking good here on day #2. The light has now been lowered to 18" set to 50% power.

20230504_154711.jpg

For environmentals, the exhaust fan is set to around 30% power, and the clip on fan you see in the pic above is pointed at the new sprouts but set at such a low power I can barely feel the wind at the cups on my hand. Once they're more established in about 4-5 days I'll slowly increase the speed over the following weeks, looking for a very slight movement in the stem. I'll also be removing the heat mat they're currently sitting on in the next few days.

As for watering, every day I fill a separate cup with plain PH water and dunk the solo-sips in for 5 seconds or so, which lets the water flow into the cup. I noticed with the blueberries at this stage their little 'reservoir' would be void of water after around 24 hours. The media in the cup maintained a moisture gradient even with these 24 hour waterings, and I believe that contributed to them not being affected by any sort of transplant stall.

20230504_155123.jpg

It doesn't take any time at all for the water to soak into the cup. I also want to note they will not be top watered at all while they're in these cups. The purpose of this is to avoid the transplant stall that others have experienced when transitioning from a straight soil nursery cup into a SIP container.

My goal is to start training these seedlings now to crave a wetter environment at the very bottom of the cup. It worked for the blueberries in the last grow, so it should work this time!

Hey everyone! Everything is looking good here on day #2. The light has now been lowered to 18" set to 50% power.

20230504_154711.jpg

For environmentals, the exhaust fan is set to around 30% power, and the clip on fan you see in the pic above is pointed at the new sprouts but set at such a low power I can barely feel the wind at the cups on my hand. Once they're more established in about 4-5 days I'll slowly increase the speed over the following weeks, looking for a very slight movement in the stem. I'll also be removing the heat mat they're currently sitting on in the next few days.

As for watering, every day I fill a separate cup with plain PH water and dunk the solo-sips in for 5 seconds or so, which lets the water flow into the cup. I noticed with the blueberries at this stage their little 'reservoir' would be void of water after around 24 hours. The media in the cup maintained a moisture gradient even with these 24 hour waterings, and I believe that contributed to them not being affected by any sort of transplant stall.

20230504_155123.jpg

It doesn't take any time at all for the water to soak into the cup. I also want to note they will not be top watered at all while they're in these cups. The purpose of this is to avoid the transplant stall that others have experienced when transitioning from a straight soil nursery cup into a SIP container.

My goal is to start training these seedlings now to crave a wetter environment at the very bottom of the cup. It worked for the blueberries in the last grow, so it should work this time!
Nice seedlings

Highya AC,

Great line-up you have. I feel honored to be in great company you have accumulated in your thread. Happy Smokin'

Hey Shed!

Nice seedlings

Thanks Keith!

Highya AC,

Great line-up you have. I feel honored to be in great company you have accumulated in your thread. Happy Smokin'

Hey Bode! Don't worry, I just told my wife about 30 minutes ago "can you see all the amazing folks that are in here?!?!" haha. I'm very humbled and will strive to provide every detail I can for everyone!

Thank you everyone for the amazing response to this journal :)

Hiya AC!

I've got 6 seedlings going and I'm watering the same way. I get the soil wet 2/3 of the way up. 3 plants seem to love this. 2 others are kinda droopy lately. The last one has other issues but is still kicking.

I'll follow along.

Hey everyone! Things are smooth as can be this early on. So far they've only received PH water every day to fill their tiny 'reservoirs' if you want to call them that. I want to take a minute to address that as well: I didn't make it very clear in first few posts, but these cups are solo-SIP cups detailed on page 2 of the SIP club thread (link in my signature for anyone not knowing where that is.)

The premise is really simple: drill a 3/16" hole into the side of a clear solo cup approximately 1" up from the bottom. You could drill an additional air hole 3/4" above that if you really want, but I don't and can get water into the res just fine. There are no holes drilled in the bottom of the cups. This is what makes it a 'SIP'. I put it in quotes because even this small of a scale you're not going to see a wild moisture gradient in a solo cup...however when I did this last time I did not notice any type of transplant stall going into the 5 gallon SIPs. There were watering issues, which will be worked out for this cycle, but I did not observe a two week stall by using these solo-sip cups.

I fill the bottom of the clear cups up with straight washed perlite, up to 1-3/4" from the bottom. This ensures that overflow hole drilled at 1" can drain any residual water. Since the perlite is filled up an additional 3/4" from the overflow hole, you get a quasi "air gap" that our SIP pots are known for. From the pic in the first post you can see how I tilted the perlite in front of the overflow hole, allowing some soil to reach the bottom of the cup. This will aid in wicking the water up through the media at a faster rate than if the perlite-soil line were parallel to the floor.

Finally, to water the cups, I take the clear ones out of the red cups they're in (the outer cup is only there to shield the roots and soil media from light) and dunk it into another cup, allowing the water to flow IN through the overflow hole. I watch it as it rises up above the overflow hole and then I pull it out. Takes around 3-5 seconds for each cup and then I'm done. I do this once a day, in the morning, so they consistently have something in the res.

And that's where we're at today! Based on my previous blueberries, these seedlings should spend around 19 days (give or take a day or two) in these cups before they're up-poted into their 5 gallon sips. So far so good! Thanks for stopping by!

Hey everyone! Things are smooth as can be this early on. So far they've only received PH water every day to fill their tiny 'reservoirs' if you want to call them that. I want to take a minute to address that as well: I didn't make it very clear in first few posts, but these cups are solo-SIP cups detailed on page 2 of the SIP club thread (link in my signature for anyone not knowing where that is.)

The premise is really simple: drill a 3/16" hole into the side of a clear solo cup approximately 1" up from the bottom. You could drill an additional air hole 3/4" above that if you really want, but I don't and can get water into the res just fine. There are no holes drilled in the bottom of the cups. This is what makes it a 'SIP'. I put it in quotes because even this small of a scale you're not going to see a wild moisture gradient in a solo cup...however when I did this last time I did not notice any type of transplant stall going into the 5 gallon SIPs. There were watering issues, which will be worked out for this cycle, but I did not observe a two week stall by using these solo-sip cups.

I fill the bottom of the clear cups up with straight washed perlite, up to 1-3/4" from the bottom. This ensures that overflow hole drilled at 1" can drain any residual water. Since the perlite is filled up an additional 3/4" from the overflow hole, you get a quasi "air gap" that our SIP pots are known for. From the pic in the first post you can see how I tilted the perlite in front of the overflow hole, allowing some soil to reach the bottom of the cup. This will aid in wicking the water up through the media at a faster rate than if the perlite-soil line were parallel to the floor.

Finally, to water the cups, I take the clear ones out of the red cups they're in (the outer cup is only there to shield the roots and soil media from light) and dunk it into another cup, allowing the water to flow IN through the overflow hole. I watch it as it rises up above the overflow hole and then I pull it out. Takes around 3-5 seconds for each cup and then I'm done. I do this once a day, in the morning, so they consistently have something in the res.

And that's where we're at today! Based on my previous blueberries, these seedlings should spend around 19 days (give or take a day or two) in these cups before they're up-poted into their 5 gallon sips. So far so good! Thanks for stopping by!
Isn't the Bubba Kush an Indica? I will love to watch this little one grow up and see how much she produces.

Isn't the Bubba Kush an Indica? I will love to watch this little one grow up and see how much she produces.

She is! She's a Barney's Farm creation, 30% sativa and 70% indica. I'm really drawn to this one myself because of the advertised Afghani flavors: hashy spicey and sweet. In my younger days I frequented a rather pleasant Eastern hole-in-the-wall hookah bar that had this magnificent hot, sweet tea. Everything about this strain reminds me of that tea, so I'm happy to be growing it this round!

Wow! Great write-up, Aspen. Thanks for detailing that. :welldone:

Plenty of great info here for people to look back and learn from as well Aspen!
💐 🏆 💐

Thanks Azimuth and Lootz! While I'm happy people can get some different information from my journal, I'm totally doing it for myself as well haha. Here's a funny story: I had my solo-sip cups all layered perfectly and built out, soaking and getting ready for seeds. I had a weird feeling to just go back to the beginning of the blueberries and skim through. That's when I caught the perlite being inclined and realized I had a choice. Go forward and plant or do it all over again. Welp, the whole point of the journal is to get constructive criticism on growing techniques and if I'm not implementing them, then I'm not listening to the great advice I'm receiving. So I re-did it. Begrudgingly (this was after 3 edibles, soo..) but it got done lol.

Point is I encourage everyone to have a journal (at the very least a log) for the exact reason mentioned above: not repeating mistakes, and taking each successive cycle to the next level by implementing the best ideas and techniques from some seriously seasoned and amazing growers.

Back
Top Bottom