Why I prefer COBs to Quantum Boards

High and welcome back Dan.
Good to see ya round these parts.
800w of Timber Crees and 500w of Quantums in a 4x8
:passitleft:
IMG_20180203_200042.jpg
IMG_20180128_174803.jpg
This is the exact set up I'm looking to do in my 5x5!!!! Dan's a great guy very helpful

This is the exact set up I'm looking to do in my 5x5!!!! Dan's a great guy very helpful

High there FutR,
Dan is customer service focused and very knowledgeable.

Not sure if you meant 1300w in a 5x5.

I could see half of this setup (650w) working very well in a 5x5.

High there FutR,
Dan is customer service focused and very knowledgeable.

I could see half of this setup (650w) working very well in a 5x5.
Hi Stage,
I was referring to a mix of cobs and quantum boards. Im thinking of a quantum down the center of the tent flanked by cobs on both sides.

Hi Stage,
I was referring to a mix of cobs and quantum boards. Im thinking of a quantum down the center of the tent flanked by cobs on both sides.

High FutR
My pic above in a 4x8 is my attempt at mixing cobs and qbs.
What I meant was since you are in a 5x5 you would only require half of the 1300w (16 cree cobs and 4 qbs) I was using.
Peace

well, chopped and dried 2 more 12/12 from seeds, 81g dry. Lost 10g cola to bud rot, was just a small area, but just tossed it all out. Let it dry outside, and weight 10g. It was actually just starting the mold, but didnt take chances, just got it out and gone,..

concidering i was hoping for 15G per 12/12 from seed, again, ecstatic with results. Tell ya what, the resin hold like freakin epoxy, lol.

*tip, Olive oil is the best resin remover from fingers, takes 5 seconds.

1,300 watts in 25 square feet? 52 watts of strong LED light per square foot would be awesome.

I think you misunderstood something about COB vs Mid power diodes, with the COB's you can't avoid the hot spot, with mid power diodes you can, you're totally right about the HLG550 and the more diode dense boards being too concentrated when running at high power, but with DIY that can easily be dealt with.

No matter how you twist it, you get more photons per $ with mid power diodes than you get with COBs.
With the linear light strips made by Samsung you can DIY to your exact needs, and with the Q-series get the new and best diode on the market(Samsung LM301B), or with the F-series get the most diodes per $, and those use the second most efficient diodes on the market(LM561C) ;)

The thing is that COB's have to be run at lower power(under 50%) to be efficient, where the boards/strips are better being run between 50% and 75% and stil more efficient than COB's running soft and a lot better spread.

Cobs can also be run at half power. My Luminus CXM32 COB's run at a half power. They are rated for a maximum of 200 watts and the drivers max out at about 110 watts. Something like 2.2 umols per watt. The lights are also water proof. So I would say my lights are the bestest lights in the world.

The only problem I have is they don't put out enough heat in the winter. So the plants won't grow unless you heat the room. But I just use my CMH when growing in the 2 or 3 months of winter.

My 360 watt CMH is doing a great job of keeping the temperature in my 3 by 3' tent at about 78 degrees. 59 degrees outside the tent. Plants would not grow with the COBS at the low temperatures.

In the summer my COB's put out over 1000 PAR everywhere in the tent.

Plants would not grow with the COBS at the low temperatures.
My first winter grow using COBS was in an insulated (though only passively sun heated) greenhouse where overnight temps would drop to as low as 20F. I made a insulated box using 2" foam board and the heat from the COBS kept it between 60-80F...worked great. My major concern was losing power then I would lose my crop within 1-2 hours. All lights give out some light..it's how you make it work for your circumstances.

High FutR
My pic above in a 4x8 is my attempt at mixing cobs and qbs.
What I meant was since you are in a 5x5 you would only require half of the 1300w (16 cree cobs and 4 qbs) I was using.
Peace
What spectrum COB's are you running?
Using your setup do you find deeper canopy penatration from the cxb's or QB's?
Or do you even see any differance?

Back
Top Bottom