Questions regarding Quantum Boards

I think they are very very efficient

The penetration is way better than my HPS or Blurple LED

I'm running about 450w in my 4x4 if I run em max, but usually I'm at about 80%

If they can get turned up to 170w why do you recommend not going much higher than 135w?

Because the efficiency drop gets steep beyond this point.

Also, how much better is HLG's Slate 2 heatsink compared to the Slate 1?

No idea, both are fine, just get a board and heatsink combo, check out the Atreum 288.2, it's $75.

You're saying it has good penetration during flower, am I able to use these boards from seed all the way to flower? Or are they only useful for veg/flower and not so much from seed?

Yes, they're for full cycle.

If I plan on only running four plants with each plant getting its own lamp how many drivers do i need? I saw online I can wire a driver to 2 lamps?

Yes you can, you can wire 4 boards to one driver if you like, but it won't save you any money, so get a HLG 120h - 54A for each board.

Has anybody tried using a HLG 550 V2 3000K in a 4x4 tent? I found a supplier on Alibaba that has same specs as HLG but for 1/3 the price.

It's come down to either 4x QB288 (3000K) or 1x HLG 550 V2 (3000K)

Go with 4 boards from a verified seller.

You can't trust Alibaba sellers and the spread on a 550 is crappy compared to the same 4 boards as individual lamps.

Im really lost.. Do you need 4 x 288 v2 in 4x4? And up to 6? Thats 1040w-1560w and between $2000-$3000 to light up 16square feet? (Im sure there's cheaper supplies)..... Do you mean 135s maybe? Hopefully, lol... Specs say 1 288 will flower 2x4, so only two should be needed

288 is the number of diodes, it's supposed to be run at 135w max, and it covers a max of 2x2 in flower, sure you can stretch it beyond that but then you growing cabbage.
You can grow in a 4x4 with a 400w HPS, but a 1000W HPS is gonna yield a helluva lot more and better herb.

To hit a +1000 PPFD across every square inch in a 4x4 you need 6 boards running at around 800w.

4 boards not 4 sets of 2 boards... Does that mean 4 135s for a 4x4? How many Watts to run a 4x4 :rofl:

It's not like HID where you can say x watts for x m2, it's an equation with number of diodes, load, and surface area :)

For 4x4:

4x 288 boards or 1152 diodes (LM561c S06 bin or better @ 540w.

This is the rule of thumb minimum, less can be just fine and more is better ;)

Because the efficiency drop gets steep beyond this point.

No idea, both are fine, just get a board and heatsink combo, check out the Atreum 288.2, it's $75.

Yes, they're for full cycle.

Yes you can, you can wire 4 boards to one driver if you like, but it won't save you any money, so get a HLG 120h - 54A for each board.

When I look up the "HLG 120h - 54A" driver on Atreum's website it says its max output power is 124.2 W....Is this able to run at 135W like you suggest? Somewhat confused by that.

I like the idea of having 4 individual lamps so I can adjust the height of the lamps to suite my needs.

Speaking of height, if I were to use the lamps from seed --> flower, how high above the seedlings do I need to hang them? This is going to be my first grow from seed and don't want to hit them too hard. I know people usually use CFL's for their seedlings because they can set them up really close without damaging the lil babies so I'm curious about these LED's. Can you possibly point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

You can't go by those numbers, you have to calculate the max A and V and driver inefficiency, I guesstimate you'll be able to turn it up to 133w DC -> 142w AC.

You can get the HLG 150h-54A which will go up to 170w AC.

When the plants are youn gyou use less lamps and dim down, distance depends on intensity.

I don't know anything about electricity so how do I know if im using AC or DC? If you recommend HLG 120h - 54A per board I'll trust it will be powerful enough!

AC is the input from wall to driver, DC is the output from the driver, the driver takes a cut to convert the power, usually around 6% for Meanwell HLG series drivers.

@PurpleGunRack
You mentioned buying 4x HLG 150h-54A because buying one single driver for all 4 boards won't save me money. After pricing it out I would in fact save about $50 if I purchase a "HLG-480H-54". Even Atreum recommends getting a 480 driver for 4 boards. What are the drawbacks of purchasing a more powerful driver? More heat output?

Yes, it's slightly cheaper to get that driver over 4x 120h - 54A, but then you have one big lamp and you have to wire the boards to the driver externally with long wires if you want to be able to have the boards at different heights, and you have to run all boards at once at all times.

A 480h - 54A driver is slightly LESS powerful than 4x 120h-54A combined.

The smaller drivers can be mounted on top of the heatsink and each heatsink has holes for hanging, you can see this in the picture I posted a few posts back :)

If you do build a frame you can place the big driver somewhere on the framing, but you'll probaby end up losing the money you save from buying one big driver on framing, and that's just up front, in the long run not being able to have different heights or run fewer boards will cost in ''wasted'' light.

If you have 4 lamps and one fails, no big deal, if you have a single lamp and it fails...

Yes, it's slightly cheaper to get that driver over 4x 120h - 54A, but then you have one big lamp and you have to wire the boards to the driver externally with long wires if you want to be able to have the boards at different heights, and you have to run all boards at once at all times.

A 480h - 54A driver is slightly LESS powerful than 4x 120h-54A combined.

The smaller drivers can be mounted on top of the heatsink and each heatsink has holes for hanging, you can see this in the picture I posted a few posts back :)

If you do build a frame you can place the big driver somewhere on the framing, but you'll probaby end up losing the money you save from buying one big driver on framing, and that's just up front, in the long run not being able to have different heights or run fewer boards will cost in ''wasted'' light.

If you have 4 lamps and one fails, no big deal, if you have a single lamp and it fails...

Very good point. I pulled the trigger on 4x 288.2 + 4x 150h-54A! Excited to hook everything together and see what these babies can do! Unfortunately the lamps are on back order for another week =/

I ordered 4x Gorilla Glue #4 and 4x GG #4 + White Widow. Seemed like some decent seeds but it'll be my first time growing from seed, last time I did from clone. Gotta read up some =)

Thanks PGR! Ya I tend to over think things especially when there's money involved want to make sure I'm doing the best i can to protect my investment haha.

The only thing I really need to figure out is the small window from germinating the seed --> seedling. Once they start getting some size on them i know how to top and LST etc. Just need to familiarize myself with the whole seed part of it all =)

The only thing I really need to figure out is the small window from germinating the seed --> seedling. Once they start getting some size on them i know how to top and LST etc. Just need to familiarize myself with the whole seed part of it all =)
That’s the easy part, just add water and let Mother Nature do her thing. Fiddling with seedlings usually only causes problems.

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom