Worms galore

El Gusanito

Just started a new project to go along with the other grows.
Worms yes worms. Getting 2 kinds red wigglers and european nightcrawlers.So by next spring I should have loads of worm castings for my future girls. And for friends and of course for fishing.
I will try and post as the project goes along.
Have an Idea for making worm tea.
When the whole thing gets going I will post picts.
Ordered 2 lbs of worms and started the bedding material using shredded news paper in a tub with water and used a drill and paint auger and ran it till it was nothing but pulp then run thru a nylon mesh bag to drain extra water and now that it is raining put out to rinse most of the ink away.
Added ground egg shells, ph is ok .
now just waiting for the cridders them selfs.

Worms yes worms. Getting 2 kinds red wigglers and european nightcrawlers.So by next spring I should have loads of worm castings for my future girls. And for friends and of course for fishing.
Ordered 2 lbs of worms and started the bedding material using shredded news paper in a tub with water and used a drill and paint auger and ran it till it was nothing but pulp then run thru a nylon mesh bag to drain extra water and now that it is raining put out to rinse most of the ink away.

? can't you just go to the bait shop to get worms?....or dig em up in the yard?

Get something rotting for them. Worms don't actually eat the food you put in there, but the bacteria that's growing on/breaking down that food. Take care not to over feed at first.

IDK about that bedding. As far as you took it with the pulping and stuff just might make it a bit too dense for the worms to get through easily. Just shredding the newspaper and wetting it down is sufficient. Chunks of cardboard work well also. For some reason, the worms love the glue that is used in cardboard.

As long as it's not glossy stock, don't sweat the ink on the paper. It's all soy based now and will not hurt them (I'm a printer). Just avoid the glossy/slick stock.

DD

El Gusanito I heard that European nightcrawlers actually destroy plant life and their castings are no good but the red wrigglers are good for composting and for castings.

El Gusanito I heard that European nightcrawlers actually destroy plant life and their castings are no good but the red wrigglers are good for composting and for castings.

That is just flat out WRONG and bad info AFA the European nightcrawler. Wherever you heard that doesn't know squat about worms.

I'm not going into a long anything about WHY that is so wrong, but if it were the case why does practically every worm farm offer them?

The RW are better for composting & castings, but are too small for fishing. I also run the ENC with my RW, primarily for fish bait.

DD

They are here the big squeegly wiggling slimy mass of cute worms.
started 3 new beds with a few worms in each to make sure they do well.
started 2 in trash cans 1 in a terra cota pot with mesh at the bottom 1 in a cloth bag and the bag they cam in. Now just wait and see just like the crops.
found that if I waited till the pulp is dryer and run the mixer thru it again turns to bb's if pulp and fluffy

The new year is here and now have 3 differnt colonies going they are doing good and looks like they are multiplying found good way to mush fruit freeze it first them let it sit out for a day they love it.:thumb:

Getting ready to start a new pair of colonies mixed up some more news paper I run it thru a bucket of water and use the mixer, drain thru nylon mesh bag let dry a day or so then put in bucket and mix then screen thru 1/2" screen and let dry the worns love it. Looks like BB's and airy. Made enough for 2 new colonies.
I see worm eggs in the castings and in the paper a good sign. They have a least tripled since i got them.

Worm report they are doing really good have no idea how much bio mass is there in 4 beds and all my pots with girls in them and they like it.
Just started a new bussness of growing garlic but will post that by it's self
Have been cleaning hundreds of pounds of garlic and end up with soil and scapes and outer paper skins and I have been giving them to the worms and they love it. I now have over 55 gallons of worms right now in farms not counting the potts. The news paper is almost all gone have had to add more since i started the thing.
If you are thinking of doing it is really is easey they do all the work just water and food just organic matter.
best of luck all my girls love the by products.

Summers end report now have 3 55 gal of worms have many donors to the biomass. Already have recovered the first of the castings for the fall planting all seedlings are doing very well . I was 1/4" screen to separate the castings from the worms the biomass will by outstanding in short order.

! year and still going they not growing as fast as they where but have 10 x the biomass from what I started with.
Harvested the casting for my new pottings for letttuce and spinch.
have started other beds with other people. Bio reactor at it's best.

YES
To every thing the Fish love them my plants love them to all of them!!!!!!!
Have enough to use on my farm for starting all plants.
I now am starting to us soil block's for germinating my row crop. I will post a report.
WORMS GALORE
To my freinds they make great stocking stuffers.
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL
COME OVER WINTER SOLSTICE PARTY TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL I paid 50.00 for 50lbs of worm castings. If I had the space (a building my wife never entered) then I would do the same thing and raise the hell out of them. Rock On!

Just to keep along with the weed and worms thing.. I was actually pondering putting sum african night crawlers in with my girls soil. Its a potting mix blend with few otha ingredients and i have heard really good things from ol growers outdoor, that use worms in their pots and claim remarkable growth, and healthy plants as not only do the worms produce hi nutrient castings but they also aerate the soil well so i am reallt thinking of placing 50 or so in my pot.. Any one else think this will be good idea. I have 2 days b4 i transplant.

Smokemupm8 I have just been thinking the same thing, about putting worms in my pots with my seeds when I get them, have you tried it, and how did it work out. Oh and Hi from Accross the ditch. What State in Assie are you?

Back
Top Bottom