Yellow leaves - Nitrogen deficiency?

did it, now its set 2.4 for vinegar, and double checked on RO water and its 7.0-7.1 i think now i can help my plants

edit: everytime i measure roa water get 0.5 difference..

If the calibration solutions are empty and you can't buy any replacement, then you're likely best off to just hope the meter is good. Not sure how the water is in R o Georgia, but a tap water pH of 6.5 seems a bit acidic to me (but it may actually be like that).

Anyways, if you assume tap water is at 6.5, you shouldn't need much vinegar to get you a tad lower anyways.

One small tip from my first grow where I used vinegar to get the pH down: watch for fruit flies...they love the vinegar! :)

Also good luck and be careful in RoG!!!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

If the calibration solutions are empty and you can't buy any replacement, then you're likely best off to just hope the meter is good. Not sure how the water is in R o Georgia, but a tap water pH of 6.5 seems a bit acidic to me (but it may actually be like that).

Anyways, if you assume tap water is at 6.5, you shouldn't need much vinegar to get you a tad lower anyways.

One small tip from my first grow where I used vinegar to get the pH down: watch for fruit flies...they love the vinegar! :)

Also good luck and be careful in RoG!!!

I used vinegar to calibrate the device, hope it works
Thank you

Sent from my LG-D802 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

When i put ph pen in the liquid it displays 5.89 but when i take out pen it starts to go up and stops between 6.3-6.5, then goes up again and finally stops on 6.5-6.51 (52,53,54) then back again to 6.5
So which reading is right? When the pen is in liquid or out?

distilled water has to be 7.0 pH. There you have a known standard. Calibrate from there since you have nothing else to go by. Distilled white vinegar usually measures around pH 2.4, with a strength of 5%. Apple cider vinegar will have a pH of about 4.25 to 5.0.
Here are some close standard solutions that you can make fairly easily:

Bases (pH>7)

-Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) - ~8.5g dissolved in 1L of DI/RO water: pH=8.3-8.4
-Sodium borate (Borax)- ~1wt% solution in DI/RO water: pH=9.2
-Ammonia cleaner: pH=11

Acids (pH<7)

-Potassium bitartrate (cream of tartar) - ~19g dissolved in 1L of DI/RO water: pH=3.6
-5wt% acetic acid (distilled vinegar): pH=2.4-2

Knowing these values can help get your meter close, or at least confirm that it is doing what it should be doing.

distilled water has to be 7.0 pH. There you have a known standard. Calibrate from there since you have nothing else to go by. Distilled white vinegar usually measures around pH 2.4, with a strength of 5%. Apple cider vinegar will have a pH of about 4.25 to 5.0.
Here are some close standard solutions that you can make fairly easily:

Bases (pH>7)

-Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) - ~8.5g dissolved in 1L of DI/RO water: pH=8.3-8.4
-Sodium borate (Borax)- ~1wt% solution in DI/RO water: pH=9.2
-Ammonia cleaner: pH=11

Acids (pH<7)

-Potassium bitartrate (cream of tartar) - ~19g dissolved in 1L of DI/RO water: pH=3.6
-5wt% acetic acid (distilled vinegar): pH=2.4-2

Knowing these values can help get your meter close, or at least confirm that it is doing what it should be doing.
Thanks and whats about weird readi gs on display? Ph metere i broke eas showing same digits no matter in the liquid or not

Thanks and whats about weird readi gs on display? Ph metere i broke eas showing same digits no matter in the liquid or not

The meter I have (which is optically very similar to yours) needs to be in the solution to measure -- best is immersed about 2cm. If you take it out, the lack of liquid will cause the readings to fluctuate.

Thanks Emilya for your very practical tips on various calibration solutions!

The meter I have (which is optically very similar to yours) needs to be in the solution to measure -- best is immersed about 2cm. If you take it out, the lack of liquid will cause the readings to fluctuate.

Thanks Emilya for your very practical tips on various calibration solutions!

Thanks, i will keep this topic updated :)

update* new pics
new growth looks pretty well, but leaves continue to yellow, think cause of too much water nutrients are still blocked, and leaves are still down

Don't jerk the steering wheel too hard in any direction! Give the ladies a chance to show you if you've solved the original problem.

How rapidly are the yellow leaves spreading upwards?

re-read everything I have said to you. After seeing your pictures I am more convinced than ever that this is a nutritional issue... and they are not getting what they need. They also have the classic droopy look of over overwatered plants. All of this together, I am confident in telling you that in my humble opinion you are having a root problem because of overwatering, AND that you need to feed them more often. The new growth looks good, and shows no sign of sulphur or any other non-mobile deficiency, and the plant has been able to supply everything that is needed (so far) to the new growth, at the expense of cannibalizing the lower leaves for the mobile nutrients that are needed for the new growth. The way this is steadily progressing upward clearly shouts to us that this is a MACRONUTRIENT problem, and at this stage in their life, they are complaining at you that they need nitrogen. If the nitrogen is there, either in the soil or the nutrients you have been giving them, then it is a root problem. I suspect a little of both... by this time, your soil has been a little bit depleted and it is time to give regular additional nutrients, and your roots are being drowned. No problem... this is a weed, and she can bounce right back!

Water correctly by letting them dry out until they are feather light and dry at the BOTTOM, and feed them well, every other time. I think that after doing this for a couple of watering cycles, you will see the green begin to return to the leaves that have not been totally sucked up. I also want to commend you for not removing the dying leaves, so that you can clearly see the progression, and hopefully the fixing of this problem.

Don't jerk the steering wheel too hard in any direction! Give the ladies a chance to show you if you've solved the original problem.

How rapidly are the yellow leaves spreading upwards?

Not as rapidly as i thought, i hope they will get well soon, thanks for help and support my friend!

re-read everything I have said to you. After seeing your pictures I am more convinced than ever that this is a nutritional issue... and they are not getting what they need. They also have the classic droopy look of over overwatered plants. All of this together, I am confident in telling you that in my humble opinion you are having a root problem because of overwatering, AND that you need to feed them more often. The new growth looks good, and shows no sign of sulphur or any other non-mobile deficiency, and the plant has been able to supply everything that is needed (so far) to the new growth, at the expense of cannibalizing the lower leaves for the mobile nutrients that are needed for the new growth. The way this is steadily progressing upward clearly shouts to us that this is a MACRONUTRIENT problem, and at this stage in their life, they are complaining at you that they need nitrogen. If the nitrogen is there, either in the soil or the nutrients you have been giving them, then it is a root problem. I suspect a little of both... by this time, your soil has been a little bit depleted and it is time to give regular additional nutrients, and your roots are being drowned. No problem... this is a weed, and she can bounce right back!

Water correctly by letting them dry out until they are feather light and dry at the BOTTOM, and feed them well, every other time. I think that after doing this for a couple of watering cycles, you will see the green begin to return to the leaves that have not been totally sucked up. I also want to commend you for not removing the dying leaves, so that you can clearly see the progression, and hopefully the fixing of this problem.
Thanks for nice answer (help), yes i will wait till they dry out, you are right, i've been giving them water to often :( thats the mistake every newbie make. Whats about my nutes? Are they good for this stage? Do i need something additional to get rid of root problems,besides of watering them propperly(wet/dry)?

True over/under watering will both affect the look of your leaves. So will not giving your plants enogh light and definitely PH problems. I agree with all that Emilya has said above. Flush with RO water if possible, then hit it with anywhere from 1/4 stength nutes to full (base nutes). Also try adding some cal/mag or at least try adding some Epsom's salts 1/2 teaspoon per gal. to 1 teaspoon per gallon. Keep in mind that sometimes "less is more". Those leaves that are already yellowed at the bottom will probably not fully recover. I try to keep a pretty spread out and even canopy on my indoor plants. Indoor light penetration is nowhere near as good as the real thing (sun) so when lower leaves on my plant start to yellow I also take that into account. Dont give up. Even a terrible grow will net you some bud! The better care you can give your girls the more they'll put out and the better they'll do it! :) Have fun. And plus reps for getting as far as you already have!

Sparks

update*

i think shes recovering, she looks better and better during drying process
but i think i cant help those yellowed leaves (new growth looks good)

you are definitely going to lose some leaves, but I also think they are looking better... lots better uplift on the leaves, and that means that nutrition is getting in too. Be patient, and know that this isn't going to be pretty. Consider what is about to happen as a chemical lollipopping as well as a learning moment, and look forward to some good buds at the end of all this.

Stay the course, and look for some good uplift of your leaves at the end of this wet/dry cycle. Be ruthless, and don't let them talk you into watering before they really need it. Wilting a bit for a few hours is better than drowning. Watch the lowest leaves... they will start to wilt first, and when you see that, you have about 12 hours. If you have a good nose, they start putting out a strong scent about this time too.

you are definitely going to lose some leaves, but I also think they are looking better... lots better uplift on the leaves, and that means that nutrition is getting in too. Be patient, and know that this isn't going to be pretty. Consider what is about to happen as a chemical lollipopping as well as a learning moment, and look forward to some good buds at the end of all this.

Stay the course, and look for some good uplift of your leaves at the end of this wet/dry cycle. Be ruthless, and don't let them talk you into watering before they really need it. Wilting a bit for a few hours is better than drowning. Watch the lowest leaves... they will start to wilt first, and when you see that, you have about 12 hours. If you have a good nose, they start putting out a strong scent about this time too.
Thanks, ur answers are so helpfull, if not u i cant even imagine what to do for my plant :D

Back
Top Bottom