Yoho 1st grow - Bubblelicious - Fem / Auto

yoho

Hey everyone, let me start by saying thank you for all the advice on here. The info we get from forums are sometimes taken for granted, more so for a lurker like me. I figured I would give something back by posting, and now that my paranoia is taken care of here you have it.

- 5 Nirvana Bubblelicious Feminized + Autoflower
- Scott's Premium Potting Soil
- HTGsupply 400w HPS
- 3 14w Daylight CFL
- 5 - 2 gallon pots w/drain holes

This is indeed my first grow so I didn't want to impede my learning from having bad genetics. Don't let me spending money on seeds fool you though, this is a budget project. I could go all out on it but that would defeat the point of me doing this in the first place, which is to get good bud for myself and not to make a profit.

I wasn't sure how much perlite they put inside the scott's soil since it already has some in it .. so here is what I did.
I added no perlite in pot 1, using it as a base reference. Then mixed about 2 handfuls of perlite (very scientific I know) to the next pot, increasing down the line until pot 5 with 8 handfuls (around 30% of the pot). I then flushed the soil with tap water and filled them to the top again.

March 2nd - Seeds arrived 8 days after the shipping email. They were germinated with wet paper towels in a zip lock bag.

March 3rd - I put them in soil.

March 5th - All seeds sprouted. Kept 2 CFLs on them.

March 8th - Built grow box, placed them inside. Turned on HPS.

March 9th - Grow Box was a terrible idea! The fans were blowing the air from the HPS right onto my baby plants, they started to curl upwards.

March 10th - Placed them in current area, not insulated so temps fluctuate by as much as 20F.

March 15th (13 days from seed)

Plant 1 is the biggest of them all while plant 5 was the runt of the group. I have to say even though plant 5 is the smallest, it is also the healthiest looking one and really sprung up. Considering the heat stress they went through (97F for half a day) I am just glad they are bouncing back up.

3-17 Update (15 days from seed)

Room View
room_-_Copy.JPG

Plant 1
1-41.JPG

Plant 2
2-24.JPG

Plant 3
3-14.JPG

Plant 4
4-31.JPG

Plant 5
5-3.JPG

Warm in the day and cold at night, wish I had insulation in the room.
temp_-_Copy.JPG

Looking like your on the right track. I'll keep my eyes on this one. I do believe that your gonna start needing some more light on them soon i would try to get the bulbs over the top of them and a little closer. Keep up the good work.

Thanks McPuffin, and happy St.Patty's day. I took your advice and lowered the canopy 2 inches so now its 16" from the tops. Hopefully the temps don't get too hot and I can bring it down lower.

Looks like I have another problem too

DSC032473.JPG

He put up a fight, but my relentless spraying of water convinced him to make like my weed .. and leave. So now hes just flying around my house while my cats chase him. I need to find out where he got in and seal it up.

3-20 Update (18 days from seed)

Hey everyone! Since my last update I ran into a pest problem.

I went ahead and bought some Ortho Flower, Fruit, and Vegetable Insect Killer, since I am not in flower yet I wanted a handle on the situation as quickly as possible. It is an outdoor insecticide so I would not advice it for indoors. I watered until I was satisfied with the runoff, let the leaves dry, then applied. When I came back I noticed a few gnats/flies hanging out, so I guess they were partying too.

A few of my leaves now have yellow spots on them. The soil PH is 6.6 in all pots. I am not sure if this is from the pests, using the insecticide with the lights on, or another issue. Trying to get an idea of what caused them as this all happened in a short amount of time, any ideas?

picture of the fly/gnat, as close as I could get.
Buggy.jpg

yellow spots, below it is just dry dirt
spot23.JPG

Now for the good news
All the plants are now Low Stress Trained. I did plants 1-3 two days ago then did 4-5 today. The growth has been very impressive still, even with the war on pests.

I got the idea to take the side reflectors off my fixture, then the fan would move away the heat better. As a result, I dropped the fixture lower and have a better grip on temperature now. I'm sure it would be great to have on if it was air cooled, but without proper cooling that thing is an oven.

and here they are

plant 1
1-15.JPG

plant 2
2-14.JPG

plant 3
3-15.JPG

plant 4
4-22.JPG

plant 5
5-31.JPG

group view
room49.JPG

canopy view
lst39.JPG

What I thought earlier was PM is actually another pest that came up, thrips. I might hold off on reapplying that ortho chemical, and instead opt for a organic solution. It worked well for the first few days but now it seems the chemical is not around anymore, and the bugs are back. So far I have seen wasps, stinkbugs, thrips, ants, and another bug which I still don't know what it is. So tomorrow I will go and pickup some Neem oil and then post an update.

They won't stop growing bro! MJ will littetally grow forever if you dont switch to 12/12.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought, with AF strains, that when you start to see preflowers the plant is acting as if it was in 12/12. So even though I am giving my plant 24/0 light, its acting as if it was in 12/12 regardless and growth will soon diminish. Looking around some grow journals I have seen that they tend to stop growing after 2 weeks from flower. At that point I think I will drop the light cycle down to 20/4 or 18/6 again because of diminishing returns. I am a bit worried of the effect this will have on the flowering of my plant, which is why I am kind of on the fence about it. My logic says that the flowering hormone is present during daylight with this species, but I can not find any information on the subject. I look at it this way, whats the worst that can happen? The plant hermies and I get free autoflower seeds. The plant goes back to veg, so then I can LST & SCROG.

The whole reason for this is that I have been watching your grow along with mcpuffins, and want to join the :party:

I was hoping for my nodes to break the canopy a bit more before flower, so now its a race for me to get those suckers as big as I can. If the 24/0 growth works like I hope, maybe I can scrog them too. In the end, I wish I didn't get an autoflower strain and just went with regular seeds but hindsight is always 20/20.

You probably just forgot they were auto, but I wanted to go deeper into it, maybe it can help someone out down the road.

any updated pics? SNS organic pest products are good to i hear. I'm getting some now they r in the mail. did neem oil work? hows the pests? any updated pics?

Sure thing, will update right after this.

The pest actually are non-existent right now. The Ortho product said to wait a week to reapply, which is actually today. I didn't want to double dose the plants with pesticide, organic or not.

However another problem has risen, and that is low temps. It is currently 60F in my grow room, I am trying my best to keep the temps up but right now the outside temperature is 40F. This is probably why I am not having insect problems at the moment, just hope growth isn't going to be hurt to badly. This is also partly why I want to run 24/0 lighting, so I can keep the gals warm.

Reading back a bit on my pest problem I can clearly see I was panicking lol. The bugs were eating my leaves but I think its after they eat the leaves they slowly die.

no scrog on autos, don't transfer EVER, MININIMAL stress is a key, let them do their thing. i have hear 18/6 from start to finish is best for autos

Yea I was hoping to try a scrog on them, haven't seen anyone try it before with autos. Doubt I would gain anything substantial on them now but I was optimistic before lol. Will do though, I will try to keep stress at a minimum as that does seem to be the key with these autoflowers.

3-26 Update (24 days from seed)

Well after 2 days of 24 hour light, growth seems good even with the very low temps I've been having. I have the light down to 9" above the tops, and they certainly have been loving that. I make sure I am rotating the pots every day to expose the whole plant to light. I want to get 2 more cfls for the sides and then switch out the daylights with soft whites.

Question When would be a good time to stop the LST and release the tops of my plants?

plant 1
1-16.JPG

plant 2
2-15.JPG

plant 3
3-18.JPG

plant 4
4-11.JPG

plant 5
5-11.JPG

room
room50.JPG

temp
temp23.JPG

4-9 Update (38 days from seed)

Had to leave town for a bit, as a result plants got a bit beat up. Here are some pics.

DSC033844.JPG

DSC033872.JPG

DSC033902.JPG

Leaves are slowly turning green again at the top. Not really too sure what happened though. I had someone water them twice while I was away. Maybe salt built up and caused a lockout from them getting very dry.

4-30 Update (59 days from seed)

Been awhile since an update, camera broke.

Plants seem to stop growing just a week ago and its been a rough ride, learning a lot. This bubblelicious is a very weird strain .. and I feel I can say that after the amount of reading I have been doing. I am currently having a N deficiency (shown in a photo below) and also having problems with day and night temperatures which I will go further into at the end of this big update. If anyone does grow this strain do not take away the N! This plant, for some reason, wants N even now. Luckily I bought the 3 part nutrient blend from Cutting Edge Solutions, so mixing a specific blend of nutes is very easy but figuring out what and when the plants want nutes is very hard for me still. Last update I thought the plants would be done for, they were bone dry and showing signs of multiple deficiencies .. but Big Bub isn't a quitter and fought on. It did however have an effect on flowering as it really hasn't packed on the bud at all, but I have read that it is a late flowering strain so I think its a double effect. Overall I am very happy I went with this strain, it is very forgiving and great to learn on.

Canopy View w/ Light
canopy_2.JPG

Canopy View w/o Light
canopy_3.JPG

Under Canopy
under_canopy.JPG

Side View
bushy17.JPG

Plant 1
11545.JPG

Plant 2
31033.JPG

Plant 3
21164.JPG

Plant 4
4697.JPG

Plant 5
5550.JPG

Plant 4 Top, had very pink top for awhile but is starting to disappear
Pink_Top_redo.jpg

Plant 5 Tops
bud_5_2_redo.jpg

bud_5_redo.jpg

N Deficiency, hard to see the brown tips because the resolution is too low I guess
nute_burn3.JPG

I have the timer set to run on night and it has been very chilly here at night, reaching 55f sometimes in the grow room with lights on, then going to around 70f lights off. I read that having day temps cooler than night temps will stop stretching so I was all for it. However you can see the tops are yellow and that is a result of the huge difference in temps between night and day.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!
:420:

YoHo.......I LIKE WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I am also new, i've treid 3 times w/soil n bagseed nothing. so i switched to hydro DWC to be specific.
I am waitin on my gifts to arrive. I know nada about the fem/auto my impression was you plant it and forget it type of thing and 60 days from seed to me... a few questions.....
-Can you clone auto/fem?

-What was the outcome of the grow/harvest?

-Auto/Fem, (what i understood) this strain is ideal for a smaller grow space. yours seem rather larger than i thought capable, any thing
that you have ran in to experienced or just i may need to know i would greatly appreciate it. im practicing now until they get here. this is my setup
IMG_012118.JPG
IMG_011420.JPG

like i said these are bag seeds and i am happy, that pic is the start of week 3. not to bad for being on the lower level of growth know how.
practice makes perfect.

THANKS AGAIN, ANY INFO YOU COULD SHOOT ME WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
GOOD LUCK

Back
Top Bottom