Zabka & GF's 2nd Try - Soil - CFL - Tent - Blue Mystic - 2015

Zabka

Hi, and welcome to our second grow journal! :welcome:

We're back again, a little earlier than planned :) Unfortunately we haven't managed to upgrade certain aspects of our grow as we had hoped due to financial constraints and wanting to get something planted ASAP! Anyway, maybe this way is better, changing fewer variables. If we have the same issues as last time then we'll have a better idea of what to change in the future...hopefully this will be a bit smoother, though last time went better than we ever hoped :)

What strain is it? 2 x Blue Mistic (Royal Queen Seeds - Blueberry x Northern Lights, feminized)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? 20% Satvia, 80% Indica hybrid

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg

If in Veg... For how long? 3 day seedlings

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor

Soil or Hydro? Soil

If soil... what is in your mix? Pre-mixed Canna Terra, which I believe contains spaghnum moss peat, compost, woodchips, dolomitic lime, earthworm castings and perlite

If soil... What size pot? Around 4-5" diddy pots. We'll transplant in the next couple of weeks, probably to ~12L buckets

Size of light? 125w CFL

Is it aircooled? Not by a tube, but circulation/intake fans blow on the bulb & ballast

Temp of Room/cab? 18C-29C

RH of Room/cab? 35%-50%

PH of media or res? Soil states 6. Water approx. 7. Haven't tested properly yet as we haven't watered to runoff

Any Pests ? None that we know of

How often are you watering? Moistened soil before planting; have been spraying soil (not leaves) sporadically since then. When they have a couple of nodes we'll water to slight runoff when pots feel light

Type and strength of ferts used? Dutch Pro - so far only a minute amount of Take Root added to the water we soaked the soil in before planting. We have Grow A & B, Multi Total, Bloom A & B and Explode for as and when they're needed. New for this grow we have Epsom Salts which we plan to foliar feed if necessary. Still haven't tried a bath with that stuff...on the to do list...

For the sake of not having to look it up later -

THC 18%
CBD Medium
Height Indoor 60 - 100 cm
Flowering time 8-9 weeks
Effect Stoned

This strain is meant to respond well to fairly aggressive training, so we're looking at some cutting or bending through the veg stage.

Our space is a 2x2' grow tent. We have a 6" outtake inline fan & filter venting through the top of the tent and two 6" desk fans moving air directly from the intake ducts, through the canopy, on to the bulb and through the reflector to the filter at the top of the tent.

We planted the seeds on 18.01.15 (I think) and they sprouted on Friday 23.01.15. So far we haven't named them; I just initialed their little sticks, so they're rather mysteriously named M (hers) and Z (mine). I hope I never have to utter the words 'Zed's dead, baby'...until the opportune moment, that is :cheer:

M sprouted first and had much less trouble shedding her seed hat. She's stayed well ahead in growth so far and is about twice the size of Z. They're both doing well, though - each time I look in on them their little leaves have doubled in length!

Humidity's the only major issue at the moment (35% low), but by spraying the walls/floor of the tent and leaving little puddles on their saucer it's possible to reach 50% with lights on. Lights off is fine at about 45%. It would be nice to have a more constant temp - quite a range there - but at least min/max aren't excessive in themselves.

Here's hoping we can improve on last time around! We wanted different soil but had nothing else available. We'll need to get something else before transplant since the CT is running low. Also missing from our wish list is an effective pH tester. The strips will have to suffice for now. They're looking pretty happy so far, anyhow...look, look!

Day 1

Z & M
1_ZM.jpg

Z
1_Z.jpg

M
1_M.jpg

Day 2

Z & M
2_ZM.jpg

Z
2_Z.jpg

M
2_M.jpg

Initially we wanted to try a SCROG, but the limited space and difficulty of flushing soil made us rethink. Plus, a SCROG would have required a longer veg time and we can't really afford to wait too long for harvest. So we're going to attempt something I haven't seen often. Hopefully this doesn't mean it's a totally shit idea.

We're hoping that with two plants and some better training we can keep a little spare space in the tent, and then plant two autos about 4-5 weeks into flower. I realise they won't grow amazingly well under 12/12, but I can't see anything to suggest they would die - just maybe have a smaller yield.

Anyway, this should leave us with a couple of 4-5 week old autos when we chop the Blue Mistic. So in theory we can switch back to 18/6 and plant a couple more Blue Mistics, which should hopefully be about ready to flower when we cut the Autos...and so on.

We were thinking that even with the reduced yield, this could give us a better chance of growing more than we can smoke, not having to buy anything, and eventually investing in better equipment so we can maximise yield on each grow further down the line. It's a fairly inventive use of space, anyway...

Has anyone tried this before? Is it destined to fail? Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks for reading,

Zabka & SO

re: Zabka & GF's 2nd Try - Soil - CFL - Tent - Blue Mystic - 2015

Day 4 picture update :)

M
V4_M.jpg

Z
V4_Z.jpg

Z & M
V4_Z_M.jpg

We're happy with the rate of growth so far. Maybe a little pale, and the leaves are curling up a little. But much worse things happen at sea. The second set of leaves is now visible. Exciting times...I wish I could speed it up though; evidently we didn't learn all that much patience last time around!

Zaba & Mis

Hi, back with a slightly more interesting update after that two week gap. Not much, mind. I'll try and keep the inconsequential crap to a minimum...

M's plant developed some little spots on its leaves, which we couldn't work out the cause of. It looked like some kind of pest damage, but I couldn't actually see anything on or under the leaves, and it hasn't spread or showed up on Z. So our best guess is that we splashed water on the leaves by mistake and they fried a bit. Either that, or she was overwatered a bit at first. They both got too dry later on, though, and now we have it under control; so hopefully that's it for the spots.

The cotyledons had already yellowed, and we didn't want to feed in such small pots, but we were waiting for the weekend to visit our newly-discovered local hydro shop for some new soil before transplanting. There wasn't much choice, so it's Canna Terra again, but some kind of Pro Plus mix or something. Supposedly it regulates its own pH better and has a weaker NPK content with a lower ratio of N, which should make flushing easier. Unlike the standard mix we planted in, this doesn't contain Perlite, so we got some of that too and mixed at a 3:2 or so ratio of soil to Perlite. We transplanted into square 11L pots a few days ago - 4 should just about fit in the tent together - which have very nice large drainage holes at the bottom and sides. Unfortunately, I stupidly didn't pick up square drip trays, so I'll have to go back to the shop before we plant the autos (hah, we haven't even bought them yet!).

I think the hydro shop guys were a bit confused about two girls coming in together and walking off down the road with a 20kg bag of soil. It was at the bottom of a dead end street in an industrial area next to a car pound, and it looked kind of like a warehouse rather than a shop, and they had big signs which said 'YES WE ARE OPEN'. I could just imagine all these paranoid stoners coming up this weird road and deciding that it couldn't possibly be the right place, and just going home again...To be fair, we were having second thoughts before we saw the signs!

Anyway, the last day or two in the little pots saw first M and then Z display signs of N deficiency (bottom true leaves leaves yellowing from tips inward). pH seemed relatively stable; 7 in, >6 out. So I think they were just hungry in the little pots. We didn't feed on the first watering in the new pots - we wanted to see if the soil alone would suffice, or even burn them. There's been a tiny brown tip on one of M's leaves since before the move, but it hasn't got any bigger. Meanwhile, the yellowing has increased on both plants, albeit slowly, and a couple of branches are slightly purple. They've grown at a much improved rate and have been very perky since the plain watering, so they seem happy with their new homes - just a little hungry.

We fed each plant today with 2.5-3L of water which had stood overnight, mixed with 40-60% of the weakest recommended dose of nutes (grow A&B, Multi Total, Take Root) - less than 3ml/L total. We'll see if they appear overfed or hungry and take it from there. As soon as they're settled and responding well to feeding we plan to begin training - at least one FIM and I'm toying with the idea of trying supercropping, but these girls are so bushy and short it almost seems unnecessary! pH was between 6 and 7 in and out. We're getting a lot of run off with our Perlite-heavy mix. It's good but might tone it down a touch on the next mix and see how it compares.

Pictures were taken on day 5, 6, 9, 11, 12, 13, 20, 21 and 22 (today!). Leaf pictures detailing spotting on M start on day 9. Z's N deficiency first appears on day 20, although it started a couple of days before. The last two tent shots were both taken today, but the latter shows a new fan positioning which'll hopefully improve circulation. I'm not sure if this will increase or lower temps; less airflow on the bulb, but hopefully less stagnant air below the fan line too...damn, I'm baked!

Z & M/M & Z
V5_Z_M.jpg
V6_Z_M.jpg
V9_M_Z.jpg

V11_Z_M.jpg

V12_M_Z.jpg

V13_Z_M.jpg

V20_Z_M.jpg

V21_Z_M.jpg
V22_M_Z_1.jpg
V22_M_Z_2.jpg

M
V5_M.jpg

V6_M.jpg

V11_M.jpg

V12_M2.jpg
V12_M1.jpg

V13_M2.jpg
V13_M1.jpg

V20_M.jpg

V21_M_T.jpg

V21_M.jpg
V22_M.jpg

M's leaves
V9_M_L1.jpg
V9_M_L2.jpg
V11_M_L1.jpg
V11_M_L2.jpg
V12_M_L3.jpg
V12_M_L2.jpg
V12_M_L1.jpg

V13_M_L1.jpg
V13_M_L2.jpg
V20_M_L2.jpg
V20_M_L1.jpg

V21_M_L1.jpg

V21_M_L2.jpg

Z
V5_Z.jpg

V6_Z.jpg

V9_Z.jpg

V11_Z.jpg

V12_Z2.jpg
V12_Z1.jpg

V13_Z2.jpg
V13_Z1.jpg

V20_Z.jpg

V21_Z_T.jpg
V21_Z.jpg

V22_Z.jpg

Z's leaves
V20_Z_L1.jpg
V21_Z_L.jpg

The new soil contents - sorry for horrible pictures, but it was almost impossible to focus and I had to get the columns separately...
CPP_A.jpg

CPP_B.jpg

Thanks for looking. If anyone's out there, feel free to comment or throw rotten fruit or something : )

Zabka & Mis

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom