Zucchini bread!

BigManRestles

I never cared much for the texture of "loaded" brownies. The buzz was great (usually), but they always seemed gritty to me. I've been making "loaded" zucchini bread bread for years. I use the recipe from an old Silver Palate cookbook, and in recent times I have put a 1/4 oz. of finely chopped herb. The result has a very good head and tastes excellent! I use a Braun coffee grinder to chop up the herb, and just add an extra egg to the recipe. I also add pecan (or walnuts), a handful of dried cherries, and in the past, I've even added chocolate chips. The recipe makes 2 loaves, and generally a 1" thick slice does the job. Usually when I make a new batch, I start with a 1/2 slice, just to gauge the strength, which can vary depending on the quality of the herb. It keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks, and also freezes well. I suppose any recipe for a sweet bread like this can be used, so if you have a favorite banana, pumpkin or similar type recipe , don't be afraid to give it a try!

I'd love to get it too! I love zucchin bread.

FYI - I was also thinking a crumb cake or a coffee cake? Don't know the cook temps? Let me know what you think?

My take on baking has been that the heat of baking/cooking activates the same parts of the herb that burning/smoking/vaporizing does. As for the crumb or coffee cake goes, I think it would work, but with the light dough, the flavor or the herb would probably be more pronounced. Carrot Cake would probably be a great vehicle, and make a great bithday cake for that special someone.
P.S. Sorry I haven't posted the zuchinni bread recipe yet, but as I said it's in an old cookbook, and I have to type it in by hand, lol. I'll try to get it posted soon.

I guess it's true. Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees, and it doesn't help when you smoke alot of good pot! Finally connected that my new printer has a scanner (which I have used quite a bit!), and took the recomendation that I just take a photo. Here's the recipe as it appeared in The Silver Palate Cookbook (credit where credit is due). As I said previously, the main changes I make to the recipe is I add an extra egg, use pecans instead of walnuts, throw in a handful of dried cherries (if I have any), plus I tend to leave out the cinnamon and cloves (personal preference on the spices and nuts). I add 1/4 oz. well dried herb, which I grind up in a coffee grinder, to the dry ingredients, and follow the recipe. Also, I use 2 loaf pans, splitting the batter between them.
zuchini_bread.jpg

When you make a batch, ALWAYS try a smaller piece to gauge the potency. You can always eat more if needed. One problem I find is that people want to eat more just because it tastes good.
Aftet the loaves cool, double wrap in heavy-duty foil, I've found it keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks, no problem. It also freezes well, just put the foil wrapped loaf in a freezer bag or vacuum seal it.
Give it a try, and let me know how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom