Tool - The Pot

This is one of my favorite bands! I love Tool!

Tool never ceases to blow my mind. I saw them in Toronto for the second time a few weeks ago, amazing visuals and an incredible performance. Some songs dragged out a little long, but watching Danny Carey murder the drums made it totally worth it.

tool rocks! wonder what they were smokin' when they made that video,but then again all their vids are out there

awesome video, can't believe I haven't seen it yet!

It's about the War on Cannabis, read the lyrics

The Pot

Who are you to wave your finger?
You must have been outta your head
Eye hole deep in muddy waters
You practically raised the dead

Rob the grave to snow the cradle
Then burn the evidence down
Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around

You must have been high
You must have been high
You must have been

Foot in mouth and head up ass-hole
Whatcha talkin' 'bout?
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'til you pull it out, boy

You must have been so high
You must have been so high

Steal, borrow, refer, save your shady inference
Kangaroo done hung the juror with the innocent

Now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo
Got lemon juice up in your eye
When you pissed all over my black kettle

You must have been high high
You must have been high high

Who are you to wave your finger?
So full of it
Eye balls deep in muddy waters
Fuckin' hypocrite

Liar, lawyer; mirror show me, what's the difference?
Kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent

Got lemon juice up in your eye, eye
When you pissed all over my black kettle
You must've been...

So who are you to wave your finger?
Who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me?
You must have been out your mind

Weepin' shades of indigo
Trapped without a reason
Weepin' shades of indigo

Liar, lawyer; mirror for ya', what's the difference?
Kangaroo be stoned. He's guilty as the government

Got lemon juice up in your eye, eye
Now when you pissed all over my black kettle

You must've been
High
High
High
High

Eyeballs deep in muddy waters
Your balls deep in muddy waters
Ganja Please
You must have been out your mind

I can see your logic, thanks for the amazing break down.

Cannabis is the only topic we discuss here, that is why I personally only focus on that part of the message in the song. ;)
I think it's something of an injustice to limite the interpretation of this song to any single cause.

Ah but that is only the first, and most superficial interpretation. Not at all to say it is wrong, it's really not, but there is simply far more to it.

Tool often leaves things arbitrary, open to interpretation, so that people may find their own personal meanings, which is always going to mean more to them. Should we find out in the end what their actual intentions for it were, it's just an aside, and most people will continue favoring their personal interpretation of it, and rightly they should.

So while I am not saying it is wrong, I have to point out there are other equally if not even more valide litteral interpertations, because the war on weed is far from the only, or even most significant, hypocritical war or atrocity on freedom or justice in our history.

With a band like TOOL, should we fail to look a little deeper and in between the lines, then we'll be missing out on a lot. You can't even pretend to know what those lyrics actually mean without it..... "rob the grave to snow the craddle"?

Notice where he says:
"Steal, borrow, refer,".... he's not saying reefer, which is what first jumped into my mind when I heard it for obvious reasons, but I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt on his spelling.

"stonned" here compliments and supports the earlier use of "stone". This is I think interperted with dual meaning beautifully, but to apply it to the pot war, you have to interprete it figuratively and not litterally. Litterally he's discussing it as capital punishement. "tossing stones".... later supporting it saying "kangaroo be stoned", for being guilty as the government. You have to admit that wanting to kill off or murder a hypocritical injustice system makes more sense than saying "it must be high", especially when he also states that litterally as well.. "you must have been high". That just becomes too simplistic and undermines the guy's talent.

black kettle, it seems, could very well apply to "Black Kettle".

Black Kettle - Cheyenne chief at the Sand Creek massacre.

That also applies right down to the part about "eyeball deep in muddy waters", now lending that a litteral interpretation as well when you read about how he died, and that in fact, he did raise the dead, as his people and followers were slaughtered.

These lyrics could be reinterpreted religiously as well, and be as valide. 911 Could so easily apply to it as well, depending on whether you're a "troother" or a "faithist".

Really, they're all valid. We never were told what the guy had in his mind when he held the pen in his hand. The song is about the hypocracy and corruption of power, and the penchant for those corrupt hypocrites in power to dictate the lives and worthyness of others.

Here is some discussion on it:

The Tool Page: Opinion - Rob the grave to snow the cradle...

SongMeanings | Lyrics | Tool - The Pot

I think it's something of an injustice to limit the interpretation of this song to any single cause, and I even believe it could be why they didn't release a video for it themselves, for it would have caged it.

I see I am not the only Tool nut in the bunch.... great points. :tokin:

Love Tool. Seen them 6 times since 2001. Third Eye is by far my favorite song and seeing it live was a holy experience in itself.

Even if you are just a casual Tool listener, I highly recommend seeing them in concert. They are supposed to be putting out another album soon (as well as APC) so don't miss them. My girlfriend cried during Lateralus in San Fran back in July. It was that powerful.
:blunt:

pfffffff they're not that good. There's a difference between an open mind and an empty one. Rather spend 300 on weed and have the listening party in my living room by myself. Of course had I the money, I'd surely burn it. Tool would be a lot more tempting.... but ouch!

Yeah, I saw APC back in 02 or 03 and they were awesome. Not $300 awesome. Tickets were originally 50 bucks. That I could do. I spent close to a G on Tool tickets for SF and Sacramento back in July, including merchandise and hotel rooms, booze, food etc. So I am content. Can't afford that again for a band I don't care for AS much as Tool. Still think they are bad ass though. :)

tool is in its own leauge i am in the tool army, manyard has a vineyrd in az, verry expinsive wine and his side band puscfer is kicking ass. according to the site there hard at work bring us the next mind opeing album. :tokin:

Back
Top Bottom