Trying to germinize 3 year old seeds (first time grower)

Granz

Hi all! I'm growing for the first time and having some problem with my old seeds i got 3 years ago.
Been keeping them on a very good spot over the years so shouldnt have been a problem.
Trying different approches, got 5 seeds and this first one I have had in a moist paper sheets in a warm container, kept in dark. Have had it now for about 40 hours and have gotten a tiny hole, plus some cracks. But nothing more.
Worth to mention is that the paper dried up during the night :( Is that bad?

Thinking of taking one seed in a cup of water but have some questions. Should the water be warm all the time? Do I need to refill it with warmer water etc? And the third and last one (for testing) im going to plant directly in soil.
Should seeds be placed in a soilmiss with perlite and vermiculite? Or just soil?

Been reading for hours and hours on this forum but still some questions that pops up :)

Cheers!

Normal temperature water is fine. Cannabis sex can be influenced somewhat by temperatures. Just use normal room temperature, or cold tap water.

You need to keep the towel moist at all times.

But not soaking wet. Most people will moisten it, and place it inside a bag so the water doesn't evaporate.

Some seeds can take up to 2 weeks to germinate.

If your soil holds a lot of water, you want to add perlite. Most soils retain moisture well. I can't advise you on the best use of vermiculite, as I'm still learning about it myself. But I know it increases moisture retention.

there was a dude on here germ'd and grew-to-bowl some 46 year old bag seed that he picked up during the Vietnam War, and sent back home to his brother - they turned out well from what I can remember; I'll see if I can find the thread, not that it answers your question, but it's kinda related, and very, very cool to get old genetics up out of the ground again :peace:

Haha thats pretty sweet.. And I was worried about my 3 year old seeds :)

Cool beans Antics, should I also have my light on when putting seed in soil or wait until it pops?
Been about 50 hours now and still no change, I think the seed have gotten like 3-4 very tiny dark spots, but can be my imagination.
Have kept the water warm that I sprayed on the paper, will stop that now and save some time!
You said it could take up to 2 weeks though, guess I just have to be patient!

Right now I have it wrapped inbetween 3-4 paper sheets that are moist. On the top ive placed a ceramic mug for dark and moist.
Placed it on a module I use in my home, and it gets some heat from that.
Hope it works!

I hear the best way to germinate seeds is by just putting them in a glass of room temp distilled water and letting them straight up soak in it for 1-2 days. You should see the root coming out by the 2nd day and be able to plant at that point a few centimeters below the soil surface; I haven't tried this but seen and heard of it multiple times. As for the paper towel method, if its warm enough outside just put the paper and seeds into a plastic sandwich bag, seal it up and tape it onto a window that gets sunlight; keeps the bag warm and seeds get some light (I think the light helps?).When you see a root emerge, don't touch it! It is very fragile, use a spoon or something to carefully move it from the paper to the soil. Also don't fertilize the seedling until you see 2-3 sets of leaves, might take a week or more too.

Don't use heat.. I've seen a very experienced grower say it can partially influence the sex of the plant (meaning it would be male)

This is how I germinate all seeds:

Use a nail file, the sand paper type with a very fine side. (The one I use is flexible, made of a foam core, and has black abrasive surfaces). Place the seed into one of the long straight wrinkles in your hand, curling your hand slightly to form a channel for the seed to roll in.
Hold the nail file between your thumb and finger, holding at the very end opposite the seed. Roll the seed back and forth with the nail file for about 3-5 seconds. You should be doing this gently and not putting direct pressure on the seed.

I then place the seed in soil, taproot facing down. I run CFL lights at a normal 18/6 schedule above the seed. Low heat, and still provides light. Keep the soil moist, but NEVER WET. You should not see runoff when watering. And watering can be done when needed using a spray bottle. You just need to mist the soil, not dump water into it.

That's all I do. No soaks. No paper towels. No bags. Works for me!

i have never had a problem using the sponge method , a moist sponge (not soaked) in the dark !! as you can see both antics and others all have different ways to germ. antics has been a very helpful friend on here........after the seeds have cracked open (the time period for germ will differ from seed 2 seed , some a few days , some a few weeks) and when a small root tip starts to show i move them to a small dirt puck w/ nutrients and designed for seedlings 2 grow in the dark for ten days . at about this time you will see the start of big girl leaves ...time for a move to it's forever home ...(less transplanting=less stress).........for the next phase and other germ methods go to the tool bar , click on grow room and you will find a great guide on "how to" feel free to ask questions but run through the tool bar and you most likely will find your answer to your question already there... also this would be a good time to check out our sponsor page for the tools you will need after the germination period.:420::goodluck:

i wanted to be a little more specific about my post above """"i have never had a problem using the sponge method , a moist sponge (not soaked)kept in the dark , you simply drop the seeds in the small holes in any sponge (if you can, use a sponge that does not have a scrubber on one side) and keep the sponge moist........

Thanks all! Very good and usefull advices.
Also got good news, all seeds have popped! First one popped after about 70 hours. And the others after about 40 hours! I used moist paper towels, kept them heated but not too hot, just above room temperature. Put a mug on top and voila! 40 hours later they all poped.

New worries though! First one that popped was planted 3 days ago and have yet to break the surface... I read here that it can take up to 5 days so ill just wait? Worth mention is that i might have plantet it too deep. About 1 inch down. Could i remove soil from the top or shall i just leave it?

No problem just put in soil side ways and water and let nature do it' thing - seeds will last for many, years 10 + easy. there are other ways to germinate go to Mandala Seeds - they rate all germination ways (paper towel. pre-soak, domes, ect) comes out the simplest way is the best

Soaking in water for 24 hrs, and then putting the seed between two moist paper towels give me usually 80-100% success rate at room temp of 65-75F, but the higher the temps the quicker they pop out usually, so keep that in mind. If it doesn't work your next step is soaking in black tea infusion for few days, and if that still doesn't work scuffing is the ultimate way.

Soaking in water for 24 hrs, and then putting the seed between two moist paper towels give me usually 80-100% success rate at room temp of 65-75F, but the higher the temps the quicker they pop out usually, so keep that in mind. If it doesn't work your next step is soaking in black tea infusion for few days, and if that still doesn't work scuffing is the ultimate way.

Need to make sure you do not "drown" the sprout. for a soak recommend a 12-24 hr soak any more than that might decrease you germination rate. In the end: DO what works for you _PEACE use to "soak" but after running a test of soak vs no soak - the no soak won Mandala Seeds.com covers all forms of germination and they rate them (pre-soak, domes, ect)

U take it out as soon as you see the sprout.

Yes !!!! by all means, but if it is not showing after your soak time - take seed out of water and plant it in your growing medium

Back
Top Bottom