What am I doing so wrong? - Please advise

SlickJonz

Hello all. Embarking on my first grow. Bought a dozen or so clones from 3 reputable clubs in the east bay. Reputable as far as I know, as I am an east coast transplant and I haven't known the sources of info that long. They were small, but not in the domed cups as I expected. Just placed in plastic bags that were then placed in paper bags. That was two weeks ago.

Once I got them home and inspected the rockwool cubes they were in, I put them in pots and potting soil the next day. I added a little light nute muxture to the soil once they were planted, mainly N, b1, boron, iron, manganese, and zinc. It wasn't the 16-16-16 that i have that I plan to start now being that they shouldn't be experiencing any further shock until repotting.

Most of the plants are looking healthy, and appear to be growing fine (blu-phantom, blu-og, pineapple cheesecake) but one in particular doesnt appear to be faring as well. San Fernando Valley OG. They were the tallest of all the cuttings I got from jump, but having broadest leaves and the thinnest stems (still the case).

I've alternated DW/light nutes since planting, but the first nute round some got accidentally on the leaves of the plant. You guessed it, it was the SFV OG. Now the leaves on them are yellowing (between the veins mostly). I thought i might be overwatering them, so I let them dry a bit the last week. No water for 5 days for fear of the dreaded "root rot." Then this came. I don't know if it was one, both, or all.

Looking for any and all advice from the informative and knowledgeable 420 community. Thanks in advance.

With baby clones, in my experience, less handling and fussing is better, and go easy on the light until 1) they have roots and 2) they start putting out new leaves. No nutes til they are established, and then only go 1/4 the dose on the package, maybe once every 6 weeks or longer. Plants don't need to be overfed.

Any leaves that are spotty or yellowed, just trim those. Leaves are a one-time deal. They don't heal once damaged.

Don't let small plants dry out too long, because it's easy for them to go over the edge and not recover. As long as your pots drain well, and you do a thorough soak, then a couple days to dry, you'll be OK. The weight of the pot will indicate when it's time to soak again.

Thanks for the advice AK. I've only applied nutes twice at half strength. The first dose I gave them was a plant shock product that was mostly N, boron, and B1. Thats what I dripped on the leaves of the SFV OG. There is also one of three Candyland plants that have yellowing, cupping, and curling leaves. The other two are fine.

They all have been given same amounts of everything. I expected there to be differences between the strains, but not sisters. Can't figure out why. Pots have good drainage, I whad just watered them three times in a week, and felt maybe that was too much. I smelled the bottom of the pot, but I didn't smell mildew.

I have photos, but I haven't figured out how to upload them.

Thanks for the advice AK. I've only applied nutes twice at half strength. The first dose I gave them was a plant shock product that was mostly N, boron, and B1. Thats what I dripped on the leaves of the SFV OG. There is also one of three Candyland plants that have yellowing, cupping, and curling leaves. The other two are fine.

They all have been given same amounts of everything. I expected there to be differences between the strains, but not sisters. Can't figure out why. Pots have good drainage, I whad just watered them three times in a week, and felt maybe that was too much. I smelled the bottom of the pot, but I didn't smell mildew.

I have photos, but I haven't figured out how to upload them.

In my experience, micromanaging your plants is not a good idea. I can see the psychological need for micromanaging, esp if there is money to be made, or you are looking for the biggest buds or the biggest plants. But if you are growing just for yourself and family, then you don't need to stress over nute formulas, expensive lights, and more expensive set ups.

Just use common sense, and go as organic as you can, since the final product will be ingested or smoked. There is something very satisfying in producing an organic, pesticide-free product. You know what your family will be using, and that it's safe.

There is plenty of money to be made by SWIM. At this point I am trying to master the grow process so that not only can I have the 25-30% potency that I have found medically to necessary, but also perhaps to assist SWIM in remuneration. Unfortunately, I don't know too many people in the bay.

Back
Top Bottom