First grow nightmare - Urgent help needed

curtyd83

I'm in to my 4th week of flowering and everything was looking good up until yesterday when the leaves on one plant started turning yellow and curling up, I've seen this on the bottom leaves but this was all over the plant. I read somewhere that at this stage of flowering I needed to remove all the fan leaves to let in as much light as possible so off I went and butchered both of my plants, removed nearly every leaf on the plants ( I have seen pictures of plants like this by the way) now I've heard that I should never remove the leaves. Are my plants going to die? I have a funny set up no grow lights just sunlight through my doors (like a greenhouse affect) then lock them up for 12/12 there are some decent buds on there and they both have done surprisingly well for this set up just don't want them to die or shock with just 3 - 4 weeks to go. Any help and advice would be great. Cheers in advance.
I will try and post some pictures.

Re: First grow nightmare, urgent help needed.

Hi curdyd83

It's a bit too late in the flowering stage to give her such a haircut. Some photos would be nice but I think I can get the picture...

Leaves yellowing and curling up? Too late in flower to be N defficiency... Perhaps your pH is out of range resulting in a nutrient lock? Maybe you overwatered them? I'm sure if you post pictures some of the more experienced growers here will be able to diagnose it.

As for defoliation, you should remove the leaves occasionally, but nothing so drastic as you did. Especially that late in flower. This is quite a shock for the plants. It will take them quite a while to recover. And right now, all the available energy should be going into making buds, not healing the wounds.

That being said, I don't think they're gonna die. But, I believe, your yield will be affected.

Best.

thanks for your reply. Tried uploading some pictures but don't think its worked. PH is fine as I've used the same method all the way through from seed, i upped my nutes this morning so hopefully that will do them good and there is plenty of sunlight today :) Ive left all the leaves around the buds on just wish i could turn back the clock and not cut off as much leaves as I did, but never mind its all a learning curve for my next grow. Wish I could attach photos but its not letting me for some reason.

before
IMG_538612.JPG

after
IMG_538811.JPG

Done a little bit more reading and whilst most people strongly advise not to remove leaves some people also say remove all the leaves because they are taking all the nutes from the plant an all the sunlight away from the buds and by removing them the buds will be able to take in more nutes and more sun. Will be very interesting to see how they turn out will defo post more photos at the end of flowering.
Croatsan is rootbound because the pot is too small for the plant? If so would it be too late to repot them at this stage as they are already half way through flowering?

I, personally, always defoliate. But I do it gradually, starting with lower growth. It helps the plant to redirect the energy towards the upper regions. Also in a flowering stage, if a leaf is obstructing the light to the bud, I remove it, but only if I'm unable to tuck it under.

If the plant is rootbound it's not too late to transplant it into a bigger pot but I'm afraid some drastic measures must be taken, like cutting and removing excess roots before repotting.

Having said that, how long is she supposed to flower? If you're looking at a couple of weeks more, I really wouldn't bother. You need, at least a month or more for the plant to recover fully from such drastic measures.

There suppose to fully flower in 6-8 weeks and I'm currently on week 4.5 I'm really gutted I removed all the fan leaves but suppose it is what it is and just got to hope that they carrying on producing bigger buds if not I'm sure i'll still be able to smoke these beauties :lot-o-toke: The pots they are in are pretty big tbh don't think I will bother repotting them as I've got less than 4 weeks to go plus I've already put them under a lot of stress removing leaves.
Thanks for your advice much appreciated

We have done a side by side grow where we defoliated like you did and on another plant we defoliated just what was needed. All plants got some, or a lot of defol, right before flower, then after 3 weeks in flower. The plant we took all the leaves from had bigger, more dense buds and a higher yield.

I should say all the plants in that comparison were CKS Purple Kush. So, same breeder and same strain.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease. Your girls shouldn't die from the defol.

Aww thats good to know defo puts my mind at ease now thanks, hopefully i can get some nice buds.
I will post some more pics in a few weeks when I harvest, hopefully they grow nice and big.

We have done a side by side grow where we defoliated like you did and on another plant we defoliated just what was needed. All plants got some, or a lot of defol, right before flower, then after 3 weeks in flower. The plant we took all the leaves from had bigger, more dense buds and a higher yield.

I should say all the plants in that comparison were CKS Purple Kush. So, same breeder and same strain.

Now, that's interesting. A controlled experiment. Me likey :)

Do you think the result applies to all the strains or it's, perhaps, strain dependable? I mean, would that be considered a rule?

I've heard about it, but never had a chance to witness it personally.

Now, that's interesting. A controlled experiment. Me likey :)

Do you think the result applies to all the strains or it's, perhaps, strain dependable? I mean, would that be considered a rule?

I've heard about it, but never had a chance to witness it personally.
Well, you never know with these silly plants. If you guys don't know, I share a proposal journal with my fiance. He likes to tuck and do minimal defol. I, on the other hand, like to see just how much stress they can take without going hermie. Never had one turn yet. Lol

I run autos now, so I don't get to defoliate as much as I like. The autos are more sensitive than the photos. I tend to tuck as much as possible now. I'm fluxing an auto currently. She's
bada$$! Lol. You guys should stop by when you get the chance. We have tons of things going on. We like to try many different things. We have 2 side by sides going now. The first set is a couple of Heavyweight Fruit Punch clones. We topped one only once and the other twice to see which will yield more. The second set is testing water. We have a tranquillity device set up in the gr. We use it on all of our plants except 1 who gets tap water. They are Bubble Bomb from bomb seeds. The tranquility water plant is bigger and more healthy looking, and she is 1 week younger. For some reason we couldn't get both seeds to germinate at the same time. Lol

Hi curdyd83

It's a bit too late in the flowering stage to give her such a haircut. Some photos would be nice but I think I can get the picture...

Leaves yellowing and curling up? Too late in flower to be N defficiency... Perhaps your pH is out of range resulting in a nutrient lock? Maybe you overwatered them? I'm sure if you post pictures some of the more experienced growers here will be able to diagnose it.

As for defoliation, you should remove the leaves occasionally, but nothing so drastic as you did. Especially that late in flower. This is quite a shock for the plants. It will take them quite a while to recover. And right now, all the available energy should be going into making buds, not healing the wounds.

That being said, I don't think they're gonna die. But, I believe, your yield will be affected.

Best.
U have any pics up close

Back
Top Bottom