Mixing 1000W HPS with 42W CFL?

Skunky7

I am currently growing in an 8'x11' area. I have one 1000w HPS in the center of the room. I am currently only doing 2 plants since it is currently for personal use. (moving towards caretakers license) I now understand that the lumens are way way to low for the square footage of the room. Can I correct the problem by adding some CFLS. I read the article about the different color spectrums, lumens, Kelvins Etc... and now im wondering what to do?? Any educated suggestions would be appreciated

Your light might not be big enough for your room ,,,,, But it is big enough to take care of 2 plants lay out a 5x5 mark on your floor above your light that's what your light covers. your 2 would have to be monsters. I grow 5 with my 1000 but this time my clones got too big all I did was hang a T-5 to help with the coverage. My 5 clones vegged for 2 months before I started flower this time.

Providing the 1000w bulb is in a hood/reflector then, that will put out a light foot print at any given hanging distance from plant canopy/top.

If such plants are more or less under hood/reflector & bulb i would not worry to much in less hanging height is to great & the inverse law of light effect takes place aka diminishing light return over distance...

Here is basic chart for HPS..

HPS-Light-Distance-Chart3.jpg

So ye their is optimal point of hanging distance & i would assume the basic chart is for standard open reflectors as air cooled hoods can be closer... but the closer the light source gets the smaller the light foot print.

So effectively a 1000w can cover from 4' by 4' to 6' by 6' area square.

How ever i would look at large or giant sized reflectors to make the best use of a 1000w bulb over a smaller sized reflector.

But hps is often used for flowering other wise used in veg it may induce stretch, long lanky plants....

So mh is used...

Basically suitable colour spectrum for said stage of growth :circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom