CFL vs HID Cost

Hashashin200

Is it possible that it's cheaper to buy an hid then a cfl set up? With CFLs most the cost comes from the lights that you have to replace. The hid light bulbs only cost around 20 dollars and the money just goes towards the ballast

The HIDs will give you more penetration and a better harvest. CFLs are good for clones and veggin, and you can even flower plants with it successfuly, but I suggest you HID over CFLs if you are serious about growing!

A $20 HID bulb is not designed to be a good grow light. Here I have to pay almost $40 for a standard HPS bulb and for $30 more I can get a SolarMax that will be twice or more effective for growing plants.

Same with bulbs for my MH ballast. I've been using an EYE Hortilux conversion bulb that does veg from an HPS ballast for almost 14 years and it still vegs plants better than a $40 MH bulb would in the MH ballast. I do need a proper grow light for that MH and a conversion one like the SunMaster I used to have to flower with using my 1000W MH before my butter-fingered buddy broke it.

You get what you pay for.

L8r

Back
Top Bottom