1st LED Grow - Beginner's Setup

hazophile

Hey guys , so i started my first grow a couple of weeks ago . I might be encountering some problems without knowing them , so thats why im posting here , to gather some of the gurus knowledge :D

Okay first of all i started about 4 weeks ago , germinated my seeds and planted them . Here's some info :

#Tent Specs :

Secret Jardin
60 x 60 x 160cm - 2 x 2 x 5ft

#Strains :

a) 2x White Widow Dutch Passion
Sex: Feminised
Indoor Flowering: 50-60 days.
Ind / Sat: 75% Indica - 25% Sativa.
THC: 18.9%.

b) 2x Purple Bud
Feminized Cannabis Seeds
Temperate / Continental
Compact plant
Flowering 50 - 65 days
75% Indica

#Light :

1x Mars Hydro 300W Led Light (Old model) .
Height : 50cm (19inches) from plants .

LED Output Power:100 x 3watt
Draw Power:150~170W
Amps:110V/1.59A, 220V/0.81A
Dimension:400x212x60mm(15.7*8.3*2.4 in)
Voltage:AC85~265V
View Angle of leds:90°/120°
Lifespan:50, 000-100, 000 hours
N.W./G.W:3.5KG/4.5KG
Coverage:2.3'x2.5' Standard@24inch
Spectrum:430~440nm, 450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, IR, and white

#Ventilation :

a) Air Intake
In-Line extraction Fan
Diameter 100mm
Consumption: 15W
Capacity: 110 m3/h (3884.61 CFH) - 1.83 m3/min (64.62 CFM)

b) Air Extraction
Diameter 100m
Consumption : 30W
Capacity: 185 m3/h (6533.21 CFH) - 3.08 m3/min (108.76 CFM)

#Temperature :

Light on : 27°C (80°F)
Light off : 22°C (71°F)

#Air Circulation :

2x Pc Fans
1x Mini USB fan

#Fertilizers :

Biobizz Grow (Used @ Week 1 , saw some nute burn , abandonned completely)
Biobizz Bloom
General Organics : Bio Root Plus (Currently in use)

#Soil :

All pots (11L) contain BioBizz All mix soil , with 1 inch (2-3cm) of clay balls at the bottom (Drainage) and the top (Pest control , had a big problem before) .

Recap : 4-5 weeks ago (beggining of germination) , i prepared my pots and filled them with some random soil (before i got the biobizz all mix) that i bought from a DIY shop (yes they sell soil in there here where i live) . A couple days later when i planted the germinated seeds in the soil , i started noticing some fungus gnats flying around my tent (could see a couple ones , 8-10 , and i didnt have clay balls on the top of the soil) . I didnt think this would be a huge problem . A couple days later , i noticed some larvae crawling on the top of the soil . I started worrying so i bought a pest control liquid spray from "Bayer" and i sprayed the entire tent with it aswell as the plants and soil . Didnt kill them all because some larvae were already in the soil .

I decided i should change soil and start everything back from zero . So i bought a 50L bag of biobizz all mix soil , and clay balls . Washed my pots and clay balls with some bleach . Filled the bottom of my pots with 1inch (2-3cm) of clay balls , then filled some biobizz all mix soil , then filled the space that was left up top with clay balls to prevent fungus gnats from penetrating and laying eggs in my soil . Everything seemed to be going well .

Since 4 weeks (transplanting my germinated seeds) , i noticed a REALLY slow growth .

Some other symptoms i noticed also are some REALLY light brown mix on the leaves as if the leaves are brownish/greenish .

Noticed also some yellow traces on the biggest plant (White widow) , only in the center of the plant .

I haven't been putting nutes , just watering every 1-2 days , and sometimes foliage spray with "General organics - Bio Root Plus" (During the light off time) .

If anyone wants to rectify something or add their 2 cents , be my guest :)

Hope i could learn some new stuff from all the experienced growers on here .

Here are some pictures :
IMG_223012.jpg
IMG_223115.jpg
IMG_223315.jpg
IMG_223418.jpg
IMG_222814.jpg
IMG_222713.jpg
IMG_222914.jpg
IMG_222614.jpg
IMG_222519.jpg

Setup looks good. I'd guess the yellowing is a nute deficiency maybe sulfur, but I'm not experienced enough for you to take my guess as being correct.

I'd drop that light down to 6" above the plants if they'll all fit under it. I'd personally try to lower it to 2 or 3 inches above the plant if the plants would fit. I had my LED one inch or less for much of my grow and only raised it higher because the plant would grow right up into it and to get more lights on the sides of the plants.

If you see more of those little bugs diatomaceous earth might be what you want. You can get it at Home Depot or gardening stores.

Also, 4 plants may be a bit much for that light, but if you do a short veg period it should be fine for 4 smaller plants and you'd get your weed that much faster... But once again, I'm no expert so don't take my word for it, it's just an idea to consider.

:goodluck:

Thanks for your reply mate .

Thats some interesting stuff about the light height ! I always wondered how far should i place it on top of the plants . The manual says 18inches ATLEAST . If i put my LED 6inches above them wont they get burned ? And if i decide to lower it , would it be wise to put it all the way down at once , or should i do it progressively through out the days ?

What kind of LED did you have for your grow btw ?

:passitleft: Nice setup.... I think the burn you are seeing is not due to the light at all... the soil you are using is pretty hot for little babies... they should grow out of it and be alright but it may take a a little longer than you want..... when your girls first pop they really don't need much of any type of nutes or nute filled medium.... IMO the best way is to germinate however you do then just pot up in a very small container with something little Fox Farms Happy Frog or any of the many others that are for seedlings.... I have an organic mixture from PJ... it is PJ's organic soil mix and it is in 3 containers... 1 for babies... 1 for veg and 1 for bloom.... in the babies mix there is very little of any kind of nutrients and until they kinda ask for them if you put them in they will burn them up... Any how I think your girls will be fine and will acclimate to the rich soil and once they are past this should thrive just fine..... Welcome to 420.....:circle-of-love:

Thanks for your response Dennise !

When you say the soil is pretty "hot" , are you talking about the nutrient richness it has or the temperature ?

If its about the nutrients , then i agree with you on it . But if its about the temperature , i can say the soil is pretty cold , about 23°C (73°F) !

The pots are so big for the seedlings that the soil is staying wet all week even when i don't water . I have some clay balls aswell on the surface of the soil , which keeps the temperature cool down there ...

Besides that , what would you recommend for light height ? Mine's the 300W mars hydro (old model) . Its at 22inches atm

I am talking about nutes.... the number one mistake newbies make is over watering their babies.... You should let the pot get almost completely dry before rewatering.... The best way to check it is after you water pick up your pot and see how heavy it is and then when it is dry do the same thing.... you should be able to stick your finger in the soil and feel no moisture before watering.... I am doing an experiment now by potting up a baby in the final pot from the beginning but the reason most folks go from a small pot to something like a 1 gallon pot then the final home is to let the root system circle and build around the smaller pots... it helps promote roots growing around instead of straight down... they have to look for the water instead of it always being right there......:circle-of-love:

I get it now ! However , on the biobizz all mix bag , they said to prepare the pot , fill it with biobizz soil , and then watering all the pot so that the water mixes with the soil and "spread" the nutes (that the soil already contains) evenly into the mix ... Then the pot should be left untouched for 48hours before the seeds are planted in the soil .

Now if i need to wait for the soil to get dry before watering the plants , im going to have to wait centuries since the soil is already moist and there are not enough roots to absorb the water . Is this the reason why my plants have been growing REALLY slow ?

I appreciate your help :circle-of-love:

Can't help much with soil, but on the LED side, I have been teaching a buddy DWC (deep water culture) and he got a 300 watt LED, never used LED before I went with what I knew for HPS hanging heights. LED is a different animal, it is more intense in it's directional intensity, so move the LED up to 3-4 feet, and as Dennise stated make them grow up towards the LED, once they have taken off you can lower the LED to 14"-18", but be aware that LED can bleach/burn your leaves and bud's, so watch the height. Bleached bud is not good bud, some like to call them hash tips...nope...it's bleached bud.

My buddies plant wouldn't take off until we moved the LED up, when they are babies/clones the LED light is just too intense, it takes them about a week or so to get acclimated, a lot of growers when introducing a new baby/clone into setup with LED's place the baby/clone in a corner of room/tent and let it get used to the light.

I agree with the above post too but yes that could be part of the problem... Your root system is not developing properly and is not having to grow to find water... Now mind you this is all just my opinion and not worth a lot but I would just leave her be until the medium dries out a bit.... There is nothing you can do about what is already done and now you need to implement the KISS system (Keep it simple) and just raise your light and leave her be to acclimate to her surroundings.... It's a weed Dude and all she wants to do is grow... Her only function in life is to not die...:straightface: so our purpose to make the very best meds we can is to give her an optimal environment to do the only thing she knows to do... grow.....:circle-of-love:

Can't help much with soil, but on the LED side, I have been teaching a buddy DWC (deep water culture) and he got a 300 watt LED, never used LED before I went with what I knew for HPS hanging heights. LED is a different animal, it is more intense in it's directional intensity, so move the LED up to 3-4 feet, and as Dennise stated make them grow up towards the LED, once they have taken off you can lower the LED to 14"-18", but be aware that LED can bleach/burn your leaves and bud's, so watch the height. Bleached bud is not good bud, some like to call them hash tips...nope...it's bleached bud.

My buddies plant wouldn't take off until we moved the LED up, when they are babies/clones the LED light is just too intense, it takes them about a week or so to get acclimated, a lot of growers when introducing a new baby/clone into setup with LED's place the baby/clone in a corner of room/tent and let it get used to the light.

This is what i wanted to hear ! You raised my hopes buddy ! lol alright so i already put my led at the top of my tent , its at about 80cm now (2.6ft - 31.4 inches) . This is the highest it can get since it comes with some metal hanger thingies that take about 30cm (1ft - 11.8 inches) of space . I always thought about the LEDs being too strong for the seedlings but never believed it could burn the leaves ! Btw , can you describe a little more about the bleaching symptoms ? The color ? The shape of the leaf ? etc .. Anyways i really appreciate your help my friend :)

I agree with the above post too but yes that could be part of the problem... Your root system is not developing properly and is not having to grow to find water... Now mind you this is all just my opinion and not worth a lot but I would just leave her be until the medium dries out a bit.... There is nothing you can do about what is already done and now you need to implement the KISS system (Keep it simple) and just raise your light and leave her be to acclimate to her surroundings.... It's a weed Dude and all she wants to do is grow... Her only function in life is to not die...:straightface: so our purpose to make the very best meds we can is to give her an optimal environment to do the only thing she knows to do... grow.....:circle-of-love:

Thanks for your constant help my man ! I take every opinion seriously , so dont worry if you're not sure about the information , atleast you're giving me ideas and expanding my knowledge ... As soon as you told me that you put the lights at the top of the tent , i quickly ran and changed the height ! Im going to let the soil dry up for the moment , no more watering . So i'll keep you posted about the results :)

No disrespect intended but a hash tip is where the trichs stack on top of each other on the tips of the top buds... I've had it do it and it certainly wasn't bleaching....:circle-of-love:

None taken Dennise, I too have grown hash tips, but I see a lot of LED growers saying bleached bud are hash tips. I have been reading that bleached bud is less potent & less cannabinoids are produced.

LED/Light Bleached

led_bleached.jpg

Hash Tips, bud I grew under LED

CBB1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom