When to turn lights to 12/12

davduggie13

How will I know when to turn my lights to 12/12. How tall will my plants be?

Can my plants be sexed during veg state of 18/6 light or do they need to be under HID 12/12?
I want to transplant from 1 - quart containers to 5 gal containers, I would like to sex before, if possible?

Thanks!

"He'd be a poorer man if he never saw an Eagle fly"
Who quoted this?

Peace be with all of us!

you will change the lights based on the grow area, or when you wish to change the lights. Your plants will double or triple in height in flower so space is huge.. is space is no factor, then when ever you want to flip them, the longer the veg, the bigger the yield. to sex in advance, either wait for sexual maturity, in which case the plant will probably (but not 100%) will show pre-flowers, or take a cutting from the plant and put it into flower.... your quote is John Denver i believe. Peace be with you.

When to 12/12 is based on how big you want the plants to grow- which is generally based on how much room you have under the light(s). Indica dominant strains will roughly double in height during the first three weeks of flowering. The sativas stretch about five times over the first five weeks or so. For a five gallon pot though- well, a rough rule of thumb for matching plant to pot size, is about one gallon of soil per foot of plant height. Of course some plants are topped,and tied down and spread out to be lower and wider, but it gives you an idea....I hate having small plants in big pots and vice versa. It doesn't work as well.
Some strains will show sex as early as three weeks. Most of mine show at 4 or 5 weeks but if I'm topping them a lot and stuff they don't show for months. Some seem to never get around to showing at all before I flip to 12/12. Like go4snyper said- you can clone them and flower the clones young to see what sex they are.

Back
Top Bottom