1 Month In, Minnesota Family Says Medical Marijuana Is Working

Jacob Redmond

Medical marijuana has now been legal in Minnesota for nearly a month, and one Twin Cities family says its working.

At the end of June, just before the new medical marijuana law kicked-in, Channel 5 Eyewitness News introduced you to the Garins, a family of six in St. Paul. One of the kids, 6-year-old Pax, suffered from about 100 seizures per day. His mom, Angela, hoped medical marijuana would help.

"No parent wants to get their kid high, that's not the goal here," she said at the time. "We want to treat Paxton's seizures and that's our only intention. That's it, it's simple."

One month later and Pax almost seems like a different child.

"It's the same kid," Garin said. "You just get to see, you get to meet him for real this time."

She says the reason is medical marijuana.

"He's not high, he's bright eyed, he's happy," she said.

At one time the thought of giving pot to her child sounded crazy to her.

"All I could think about was pot, teenagers smoking pot," she said. "That's all I could think about."

But now Pax takes medical marijuana oil once every three hours during the day, and the results are staggering. He went from 100 seizures a day, down to about 50. He sleeps through the night now, he's taking fewer medications, and the whole family is feeling the effects.

"For the past two weeks I've taken two of the kids to swim lessons and with the baby and him in tow -- without losing my mind or any of the kids," Angela Garin laughed.

Pot hasn't cured all of Pax's conditions, and there are plenty of doctors and scientists who still need to weigh-in, but one month into the program, and this mom is convinced medical marijuana helped her son, and she hopes it'll do the same for many, many more.

"I'm hoping that physicians see that hey, it's been a month, the sky's still not falling, maybe we can register more patients," Angela Garin said.

The Minnesota Department of Health says it's too early to tell if other families are also having success using medical marijuana. They hope to have more information in the coming months.

15385.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: 1 Month in, St. Paul Family says Medical Marijuana is Working | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul
Author: Josh Rosenthal
Contact: Contact 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul
Photo Credit: Ben Garvin
Website: KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul - News, Weather and Sports

Back
Top Bottom