1000w MH\HPS Lighting footprint

Dirt Farmer

High everyone, going to start my second hydro grow soon and I'm getting ready to order a new 1000 watt light and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of exactly how much area I'm going to be able to maintain with that as a primary light source? The walls\floor will be covered in white poly sheeting.

I've always been stuck in small closets before so this was never an issue for me before but the grow I am setting up to do is in a 9 x 20 room that I can use as much, or as little as I like....I'm going to be setting up an aero system for as many plants as I can cover with the light...

Also I plan to get an air cooled reflector does anyone have any thoughts\opinions on those as well as far as cooling goes?

High everyone, going to start my second hydro grow soon and I'm getting ready to order a new 1000 watt light and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of exactly how much area I'm going to be able to maintain with that as a primary light source? The walls\floor will be covered in white poly sheeting.

I've always been stuck in small closets before so this was never an issue for me before but the grow I am setting up to do is in a 9 x 20 room that I can use as much, or as little as I like....I'm going to be setting up an aero system for as many plants as I can cover with the light...

Also I plan to get an air cooled reflector does anyone have any thoughts\opinions on those as well as far as cooling goes? I'm looking at ordering one of these at discount hydro as they seem to be the best price with shipping that I've found yet for a complete system..
It depends on your hood but generally a 1000w is good for 50 sq.ft.
I just changed my air cooled hood for a vertizontal parabolic hood. It seems to be doing a better job.

It depends on your hood but generally a 1000w is good for 50 sq.ft.
I just changed my air cooled hood for a vertizontal parabolic hood. It seems to be doing a better job.

Thanks dude... I think I'm going to get the 1kw light with the parabolic as well.. Everything I've read about it other than heat is good... and I'm going to have to add an AC come spring anyway so that shouldn't be too big of a deal in the meantime I hope....

My final space is looking to be about 9x9 that I'm going to try to use, with an aero setup modeled on 420fieds design and a reservoir hopefully outside the grow space I will actually be trying to light about a 6x6 area or maybe a little more..we'll see how it goes.

I'd love to know how this went. I'm thinking about using a vertizontal reflector in a bedroom 11x12.

If yall don't post here anymore I'd appreciate it if anyone else could give an opinion on whether it'd be a good idea to get the parabolic 1000watt for my bedroom grow.

Parabolic(round) light hoods and hydrofarm light mover

ET, it went, that's all I can say there...The parabolic had it's pros and cons..pro, you could put it 6" from PPP plants, cons, well, you could put it 6" from plants if catch my meaning...IMHO If I had it to do again I would get one I could actually burn my plants with if I choose to...the parabolic just won't let you, due to the orientation of the light....basically with a square fixture your plants get light direct from the bulb more than reflected, the parabolic is just the opposite.

The results from the 1k parabolic were acceptable, however they weren't what I expected from what I had been told a 1k lamp would produce.IMHO, if you can do it, I'd go with 2 600's with a standard fixture.. unless I didn't have that much space, the space I had before really could have used 2 lights.

Also it's worth mentioning that I had the light on a 6' hydro farm light mover that, while it worked great, I think was too slow....with the plants on the ends going over 10 mins with no direct light..under heavy growth\shade it just wasn't fast enough as well.

So if your under 4x4 you might do ok with the parabolic, but I'd go with something with a horizontal bulb mount so that you get the direct light from the bulb, rather than having it 95% reflected.

Also, this post being kinda old, I would also look at going for a digital ballast, my CAP 1kw magnetic did great and never gave me a problem, but DH has digi's now as cheap as the magnetics..it's a no brainer really.

I think 50 square feet is about right. I have always calculated 4 feet all directions which makes 8X8 or 64 square feet. I have a 10X10 room with 1 1k halide and 1 1k sodium on a track. I have a good amount of extra area around the plants to work on them. Use lots of reflection and rotate your plants often if you can. I know of people who have grown in a 10X10 with 1 1k halide and did pretty good. I have always thought that a 1000w yields 1+ lb but you can do much better if you use techniques like LST (low stress training like bending) or topping, femming, scrogging, sea of green, etc. I am currently supercropping and can see the value in increased yield potential. Look these techniques up on the internet the information is abundant. Maybe upgrade to 2 600w later to spread out the light better. Plus they are more efficient and don't create as much heat. Good luck with your new 1000w halide and just make sure you set your space up to handle the heat. You will definitely see amazing growth with these lights.

Back
Top Bottom