12v. Automobile headlights

gloman

I'm just curious if anyone has tried using 12v. automotive head lamps for growing?
could using solar panels, inverters and storage batteries (on a reasonable home scale) with headlights work?
Would the light be in the correct spectrums?
Seems like there is a great deal of available light just from one. Maybe as a nursery light with a diffuser?
Any opinions?

hid lights are available in any spectrum i believe i high end unit with a ballast may put off enough light.i know they have 6500k lights as well as 2500k so the spectrum would be right .i may do some research

hid lights are available in any spectrum i believe i high end unit with a ballast may put off enough light.i know they have 6500k lights as well as 2500k so the spectrum would be right .i may do some research says they put out 3500 lumens!!

you can even use flouro tubes
but your better off scrog if its flouro tubes unless you got a bunch of side lighting also
if not cfl is the next best route
led's expensive but work
hid's require more you might need 220-240v makes more heat the ballast and the light may require you to buy a hood that can be vented and cooled takes more electricity and youd want to replace the bulbs every year as the older hid's get the less effective they are

Thanks! I appretiate the input.
My thoughts were more on the lines of just one headlight, to use for my early starts indoors. I have to grow gorilla style outdoors so I like to get a good 2-3 month head start, with 10-12 plants. I figure on 33% of them being harvested. The rest I figure in as loss to deer, male plants, bad location. (it happens) etc. Then if more make it I'm extra blessed.

yeah, they say they go up to as high as 3500 lumens with the HID lights.
That's a pretty good amount of light for just a 3x3 grow space don't you think?
I'm brand new to indoor gardening. Well, haven't grown indoors since the 70's.
I'm looking to not use any outside source of electricity. Just what I can produce with solar panels and storage batteries, and like I said, only about a 3'x3' grow space for plants up to around 1-2 feet tall. Then out to the fresh air & sunshine!

lol, yes, I know you're right. I have a tendency to get a little "creative" like lester said after I've eaten a couple of my "one & you're done" brownies. Hey, It could work in a pinch or where you might be off the grid. lol There I go again, sorry. :)
I DO get a kick out of making stuff myself though.
Peace & Green Dreams to everyone

could not find a par rating but one can run something as simple as a solar panel and deep cycle battery to run 2 headlights.I dont think you are far off though sometimes i take the path less traveled as well!

Back
Top Bottom