1st ever grow setup, suggestions?

blunted7

alright, im pretty new to this whole forum stuff. i've been onlooking on other grow journals and researchings for months but i finally think i can take the plunge for an indoor garden :).

i have a nice closet space that is 62 inches high, 38 inches wide, and 24 inches in depth.

I have no supplies but through my research, i found that a MH light would be good for vegging, and a hps for flowering. I could easily build a box as right now, the closet is just an open space.

I do have a couple hundred bucks to throw around as i've been saving for this project for a while, and i wanna put out the money to start out with something good that i can use for many crops.

I would really appreciate it if I could get some veteran help, as i am but a noob :). The only realy dilema i'm in right now is which lights to get. I was thinking a 250w MH bulb, then switching to a 250 hps bulb for flowering. But i was wondering if 250 would be good for my space, or if i should get 400w bulbs instead, because it'd be too hot for the little babies.

I have seen how everyone helps each other in this forum which i really respect, and i give thanks to those grow mods just for their dedication to others.

oh by the way i was thinking of getting about 4 plants in there(unless I could fit more), maybe buying a decent carbon filter with a fan built in, as im not very crafty like that.

so any suggestions on the lights would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance, and happy toking :bong:

while i have only experience growing under cfls and T5 lights, if you would like to use MH and HPS lights you can get a balast such as the 400W Galaxy Digital Ballast. these allow you to use both MH and HPS lights, that way you would just need to change the bulb and the cord and not the ballast as well.

you have a decent size space, so 400 would work pretty good for you, a cool tube would help you keep the lights closer and cooler. this would also work well with your plans for getting a carbon filter and inline fan.

ya, i read some stuff about those cool tubes, thats my biggest worry about the 400w is the heat. and what size exhaust fan/carbon filter would i need, i know theres some kinda math work, ionno if im right or not but i figure that a carbon filter with a 6" fan would suit my space, and im not really up to date on the cfm stuff. it'd be around 30 cfm tho right?

btw thanks for the quick reply, much respect

oh btw on the htg supply site, i saw a 400mh light with ballast and everthing, and you can change it with a 400 hps light as well, and its like $160. thats suit my room pretty good. I need to use less than $400 on the whole project which i think could be realistic.

I'm also pretty ify on the nutes. I was thinking of going natural this first grow unless i got some kinda serious problem.

I've heard great things about the SCROG method, but ionno how that is with space my size. i'm also thinking that supercropping would be a great idea.

any input??

You seem to sound like you have a pretty good idea on what is going on.. Read up a little bit on nutes and soils and decide what you want to go with. Lots of decisions.. That 400 HPS kicks off some heat and will keep your space hot unless you vent it right. you may want to look at a 4" for intake and exhaust, the 6" are crazy big!! When you get it going start a journal and we will help you have a smooth grow.... Good Luck.:peace:

since its your first time growing, i would suggest just going with a 2 or 3 stage nute formula, these arnt complicated and you dont have to pretend like your a chemist and mix 6 different things a feeding. you mentioned HTG Supply and they offer the Advanced Nutrients 3 part beginner pack these can be used for soil and hydro, not sure which you plan on doing. You basically just follow the instructions on the back of the bottle, start at 1/4 strength and work your way up through each feeding.

i personally use a 2 stage nutrient system, i like to KISS (keep it simple stoner), so all i do is fill my 1 gallon jug of water, use the syringe to squirt in 5ml of Dyna Grow, or 5ml of Dyna Bloom, and pour it in to my DWC bucket.

I would also suggest a Nutrient Syringe I wish I would had one of these for my first go insted of mucking around with tea spoons and crap, makes things cleaner and easier and is only a couple bucks.

i was planning on doing soil, I'm not to up on the ph and stuff so i doubt i could do hydro. One of those nute packs look simple enough, I'll give them a try.

Im planning on starting a grow journal soon, once i get all my supplies together I'll be off.

but if i started from seeds, i would need a less powerful light then the 400mh right? That's probably a little overpowering for them.

what would you use when theyre still really small?

and thanks for the replies!

The little ones will be fine, just make sure you keep an eye on the temps @ the TOP of the plant.. The MH is a bit cooler then the HPS.. Fish emulsion is good for veg until you decide what nute program you want to go with.. Get some sea kelp too, it is great for young ones as well as older ones..:peace:

Hey blunted.. im using a closet myself. we used the whole thing.. i recommend home depot... 2x3's (2x2's scare me theyre toothpick looking) angle brackets, and screws.

we framed a door, split the room in half... we are currewntly using a 250mh in veg.. vegging 4 plants. and in the flower a 400w hps flowering two plants. our grow rooms changing , but that setup worked good for us.

Godsped and goodluck

Back
Top Bottom