1st Time Blunder?

grandpastoner

I am attempting to germinate 8 White Widow feminized seeds using a method described in a DVD by Jorge Cervantes which called for me to place the seeds in common household tap water. The DVD said the tap root would be about an inch long and ready to plant in 2 to 7 days in a tempeture between 70 and 90 degrees (f). I followed this to the letter but here is the problem. I live in a very old house and it is damn near impossible to regulate the house temp. It has been 6 days and the tap roots are visible but very small in only 5 of the 8 seeds. The water has been very warm and very cool (back and forth). A grower friend told me about the paper towel method saying that I might be able to save the seeds. I now have the seeds in a damp paper towel enclosed in an egg carton sitting on top of my cable box where there is constant heat. Have I screwed up ? If so...is there any saving my babies ?

Thanxxx for any help...:rollit:

Re: 1st Time Blunder ?

In my opinion if you can see the tap roots they should go in the soil, the other three might just be slower to open up it does happen.
Not all varieties germinate or grow the same so times vary slightly, but when I see the tap root I plant it making sure not to damage said root and make sure it is pointing downwards.

Once the tap root splits the seed's cask the seedling starts needing air and can drown if left in the water.

My personal practice has been to soak the seeds for 12 to 24 hours and then move them to damp paper towels.

ive had seeds pop after 13 days...don't know what was with them, they ended up being lovely plants, just a little retarded i suppose?

If you have a tap root plant it ,and as for germinating the seeds use a damp paper towel , put the towel in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap...place some place warm... in a day or two they should be opened :peace:

Put the damp towel in a ziplock bag instead of an egg carton. Beacause the moisture cannot escape, the humidity will be higher inside the bag. Kind of like a mini greenhouse. :peace:

Good job gramps! keep up the good work!
I am finding out more and more that patience is the key to this little endeavor.
FYI dancing around singing Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious in circles around your plants will not make them grow faster.
Yeah I tried it..... The neighbors complained....

Back
Top Bottom