$250,000 Marijuana Bust In Benzie County

Warbux

BEULAH -- Rory Heckman knew he'd find marijuana inside a local house before he walked through the front door.

"You could smell it on the public sidewalk," said Heckman, Benzie County's sheriff.

Deputies busted a "full grow operation" Monday night in the basement of a Beulah residence at 320 Benzie Court. They seized 250 marijuana plants, $500 cash, lights, and irrigation and ventilation equipment. The marijuana and equipment had a value of about $250,000, Heckman said.

Authorities initially arrested two suspects, but on Tuesday only charged Ralph James Hornsby, 34, of Beulah, with delivery/manufacture of marijuana. A woman, 17, was released.

Hornsby remains in the Benzie County Jail on a felony charge that's punishable by up to four years in prison and/or $20,000.
"The one guy took full ownership," Heckman said. "He's been involved in the drug trade for awhile. He knew what he was doing."

Hornsby spent nearly three years in prison for a 2005 marijuana conviction, Michigan Department of Corrections records show. He also remains on probation for a 2008 fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct conviction that involved a person between the ages of 13 and 16.

The basement was sectioned into three rooms, each draped with heavy, black tarp to assist in the marijuana growth process, Heckman said. Each marijuana plant varied in height from a foot to five feet.

Deputies plan to incinerate some of the marijuana that was moved into the department's evidence barn and keep the rest as evidence.
"With that big of an operation, we're going to have to destroy some of it," Heckman said.

Neighbors were shocked that a drug operation was so close. Annabelle Billings lives across the street from the alleged drug house but said she had no clue about the marijuana bust until Tuesday.

"I just didn't know that type of stuff was going on in this neighborhood," Billings said. "We always find it very quiet in this neighborhood. In the wintertime, most of these people go to Florida."

News Hawk: Warbux 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Traverse City Record-Eagle
Author: Alex Piazza
Copyright: 2010 The Traverse City Record-Eagle
Website: Traverse City Record-Eagle - $250,000 marijuana bust in Benzie County

I see more and more in these police reports that they are using the amount of $1000 as an average value per plant. Where in the hell does this number come from?? If i am a little 12 plant dirt farmer, with some so-so strain and a budget set-up, there is just no way in hell I am even going to come CLOSE to $1000 per plant??? Even with a couple bubble buckets, a 400w HPS, and a little bit of knowledge......... I am still not seeing $1000 worth of weed per plant on average. They bust a couple million dollar commercial grows with HUGE budget systems running CO2 at 2000, and yielding 1/4-1/2 pound per plant and all the sudden EVERY plant is worth $1000? Granted, the "value" doesn't really mean squat in court when it comes right down to it, but still....

A 250 plant setup in one basement. That is definitely a huge setup. It's asking for trouble. That's so much to be growing in one house! Best of luck to them in their court.

Back
Top Bottom