4x2x5 tent - LED & HPS - Sea of green help

CarlinRed

Hey everyone, any input would be greatly appreciated! So I bought a 4x2x5 tent about a month ago and I'm looking to do a sea of green from seed. I found a 150 watt hps to supplement the mars hydro LEDs I plan to buy. I'm just wondering how many watts I'd need to pull off 10 one gallon plants. So let me know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

re: 4x2x5 tent - LED & HPS - Sea of green help

What kind of LEDs did you pick up?

I would try to have at least 600w in that size of tent.

LEDs are tricky when it's comes to that, a 300w Mars is actually pulling 140 true watts

Yeah I know, I was thinking of either getting two mars hydro 400 watt models or two 600 watt models. All supplemented by the 150 watt HPS.

So the mars 600 is 278 actual what's, with two it would be 556. Finally with the 150 watt hps that ups it to 706 watts. Is that too much for a 4x2x5?

I hear great things about the reflector series of mars hydro
I use a mars II 1200 in a 4x4
On amazon you can get 300 watt of the original mars hydro. I believe for 75 bucks.

this has been a message brought to you from Grassachusettes.

You can grow plants with Mars but right now small diodes are taking a back seat to cob technology. For LED you want no more than 30-50w per sqft of grow space but you can use less and still get good results. Those 300w Mars panels are going to pull about 150w from the wall so you would need 2 for your space. The good thing about cobs are that they have no harmful UV's in the spectrum like the Mars lights do. Cobs are also far more efficient than the cheap epistar type diodes used on Mars panels.

If you wanted to try cobs Timber makes a great light that also comes in kit form for people who enjoy building a frame for it. Others just get the pre-built light. Even the 200w Citizen cob light he makes will give your plants as much light (food) as 2 of the Mars 300w will. The Citizen cobs will pull a true 200w from your wall, 2 Mars will pull 300w (approx) but much more is lost to heat dissipation than the cobs.

You can check out the Timber light HERE. There are many others to choose from but the Citizen and Vero are the best bang for your buck. I know these are higher priced than Mars lights but you get what you pay for. High quality driver, passive heat-sinks (no extra fan noise plus what happens when a Mars light fan fails?) and a safe spectrum for your eyes that lets you observe your plants better also.

The other half of your question/comment...

You can't really do a "sea of green" from seed. The plants need to mature before they can flower (usually 3-5 weeks). Clones are the same genetic age as the mother. They can root and flip/flower immediately staying small. You could lollipop all those seedlings, but I doubt you'll achieve what you're after. I would think 4 plants at 12/12 from seed in a 2x4 would be about right. Six would be a squeeze. With clones, you could squeeze 16 - 20 in there.

Back
Top Bottom