A Few Tokes Handled Nausea During Kidney Stone Passage

OlderStoner

Put me down as another true believer in the medicinal properties of cannabis. Two days ago, an encounter with a stubborn kidney stone brought several things to mind for me. For those of you who've gone through the agony of passing a kidney stone you will know what I mean. It's a really sharp and intense pain that is relentless until the stone passes.

I read that it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several days for a stone to completely pass. In my case it was about 48 hours and believe me when I hit the 24 hour point I said, that's it. I'm going to see a doctor. The staff was very knowledgeable, professional and courteous during my 3 hour stay with them. They checked all my vitals and then gave me a shot of a painkiller I don't recall the name. But after only 1 minute I could feel its affects. While I can't say it relieved the pain for me, it did have some affects which where numbing and when you're in that much pain, you'll take anything that will help. After about 45 minutes the doc came back with my cat scan results and asked how I was doing. He asked if I wanted another shot and I said no. But he kindly and respectfully reminded me that they don't give out medals for suffering and that if I needed pain relief I should take it. After the second dose I was really buzzed as they would call it, but I was far from being pain free. The spasms happening in your urinary tract during stone passage is grueling to say the least. And the nausea that happened was unreal. I have a very strong stomach but I was not holding anything down. And I know the painkillers they use in hospitals often contribute to this as well. But the doc said intense pain is often accompanied by nausea and it was probably more of that than the painkiller they gave me.

When I returned home in the afternoon, still in intense pain, I tried to relax and take fluids. Try as I might, I could not hold anything down. Even fresh water would come back up after only a few minutes. I knew my hydration level was low and I had do something about it. Then it dawned on me that in my pantry I had one of the most effective nausea inhibitors available. So a few tokes later and viola, instant nausea relief. I had forgotten all about this part of cannabis and was amazed at how quickly the dizzy, rotten feeling in my stomach subsided just after a few tokes. This allowed me to at least hold down water and once the water started flowing through me, the stone passed within a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom