Advocates Anxious for Decision on Cannabis Collective

Medical marijuana collectives around the Bay Area are keeping a close eye on a soon-to-be-filed legal challenge by the city of Mountain View.

Advocates say it could have far-reaching implications for the future of medical marijuana cooperatives.

Mountain View plans to go to court next week, in an effort to shut down Buddy's Cannabis Patient Collective. Owner Matt Lucero, who is also a multimillionaire and a corporate attorney, is ready for the fight. "Mountain View has passed an ordinance that I believe is illegal. I belive that that ordinance is preempted by state law and I believe that it violates our due process and equal rights clauses of the federal and state constitutions."

However, acting Mountain View City Attorney Jannie Quinn insists the city has the right to decide what and where businesses are allowed. "Fundamentally, it's the city's right to regulate land uses in the city. And so in the city of Mountain View, we don't have a district where a medical marijuana dispensary is permitted for use."

The collective opened ten days ago, and already has more than 150 members.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: KCBS
Author: Mike Colgan
Copyright: 2010 MMX CBS Radio Stations Inc.
Website: Advocates Anxious for Decision on Cannabis Collective

Back
Top Bottom