After armed Robbery Of San Jose Pot Club, Coalition Calls For City Medical Marijuana

One day after robbers struck a San Jose cannabis club and held employees and customers at gunpoint, a coalition of collectives called on the City Council to act swiftly in drafting a medical marijuana ordinance.

The robbery unfolded at 12:40 p.m. Thursday, when two or three men entered the South Bay Cannamed Patient Association in the 300 block of Commercial Street.

During the takeover, the men held five employees and three patients inside at gunpoint, robbing the dispensary of an undetermined amount of marijuana. The gunmen also took money from the victims before driving off, San Jose police said.

No one was injured during the robbery, police said.

In the wake of the robbery, the Medical Cannabis Collectives Coalition urged San Jose city officials to act quickly on an ordinance. San Jose officials are currently developing the framework for such an ordinance, with a meeting on the issue scheduled for June 7.

Stephen De Angelo, executive director of Harborside Health Center in San Jose and a spokesman for the coalition, said that in a properly regulated environment, collectives would be required to take basic security precautions, such as trained personnel on the premises.

"I was horrified when I heard the news," De Angelo said. "My feeling is if medical cannabis clubs in San Jose had been already properly regulated that this incident might not have happened."

One of the assailants is described as a Latino, 20 to 30 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall, 170 pounds with a dark complexion. Another is described as black, 5 feet 10 inches tall, 180 pounds and in his 30s.

San Jose police are asking for the public's assistance in identifying the suspects. Anyone with information is asked to call detectives Jonathan Atkinson or Chris Wilson of the robbery unit at 408-277-4166. Those wishing to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at 408-947-STOP (7867).

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Contra Costa Times
Author: Sandra Gonzales
Copyright: 2010 Bay Area News Group
Website: After armed robbery of San Jose pot club, coalition calls for city medical marijuana ordinance

Back
Top Bottom